• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thai Language Lovers -share rescources here!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When someone (i.e. me) posted tiger is the biggest cat, JRI posted yeah right Sherlock Holmes, as if nobody knows. When someone else posted election is around the corner, JRI posted yeah right Sherlock Holmes, as if nobody knows.

Take a good look at the mirror, compose yourself and take the principle of the obvious to another level. If a Thai girl tells you her profession in the sex industry qualifying that she's not proud of it, what does it mean and what does her hope to achieve?

Wrong here. You are wrong she's not trying to gain sympathy from me.

Seems like you're not really sherlock holmes after all thus you have to ponder as to why i call you sherlock. :wink:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very simple. She is trying to 'hook' you. This is a very Isaan modus operandi, otherwise known as 'ทำหน้าสงสาร'

She's not from isaan, she's from central thailand near to bkk!

Wow queen you can even write the language and you know thai proverbs you should be the teacher in this thread.

See the thread title share resources here, yeah you don't love the language but your knowledge would be invaluable to the bros here. :smile:

Firstly could you tell us how many years have you resided in thailand and in which province?

I sometimes envy you cos you're so free, taking holidays around asia. It's boring in sg. :(

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
She's not from isaan, she's from central thailand near to bkk!

Wow queen you can even write the language and you know thai proverbs you should be the teacher in this thread.

See the thread title share resources here, yeah you don't love the language but your knowledge would be invaluable to the bros here. :smile:

Firstly could you tell us how many years have you resided in thailand and in which province?

I sometimes envy you cos you're so free, taking holidays around asia. It's boring in sg. :(

'Sit on glass cabinet' is correct. It refers to the girls who work in places like Poseidon and Nataree etc.

My Thai is enough for me to travel beyond Bangkok without fear (because other than the main cities, if you travel outside the tourist belt nobody speaks English, not even simple words). People will find you 'cute' whenever you approach them for simple translation, but you will lose your novelty and become an irritant when you do it too often. So the best way is to learn how to read.

I don't know anything about Thai proverbs. Whenever I think it's necessary to put across a message, I will seek the help of the more educated Thais to offer me a translation. The meanings exist in Chinese proverbs, and I always explain the Chinese proverb to them. Sometimes they will be able to come up with a Thai proverb with similar meanings. I'm very sure I'm not good enough to be a teacher, because I learn things in a very unorthodox manner.

You cannot have the best of both worlds. I also envy people who have a stable job and steady income. "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
When someone (i.e. me) posted tiger is the biggest cat, JRI posted yeah right Sherlock Holmes, as if nobody knows. When someone else posted election is around the corner, JRI posted yeah right Sherlock Holmes, as if nobody knows.

Take a good look at the mirror, compose yourself and take the principle of the obvious to another level. If a Thai girl tells you her profession in the sex industry qualifying that she's not proud of it, what does it mean and what does her hope to achieve?

I think a bit enough on Thai girls who became prostitutes. It's the world's oldest industry and mixing too much with these group is really no good. Not say I despise, but being friends is better not, because once you make more of such friends, your circle of friends will widen with many of these girls which are in the night life.

Try mix around with the office, corporate ladies, although not so pretty, but at least be friends with them and get to know "more of their same type of friends" and can be very pretty too. :p

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
My understanding of thai people, to say they are hardworking, not really. But they are definitely very hardworking when it comes to holiday, festivals and they really party hard, drink hard.

If you are waiting to get your stuff done, getting permits, if in Singapore, it takes you 2 days, you can take at least 4-5 days to get it done in Thailand. And they always tell you to jai yen yen.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My understanding of thai people, to say they are hardworking, not really. But they are definitely very hardworking when it comes to holiday, festivals and they really party hard, drink hard.

Thai don't really different between work or party as long as there's something to do that they like to do. The Thai word for work and party is the same, tham ngan. So when a Thai tells you s/he's going tham ngan, understand it in context.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai don't really different between work or party as long as there's something to do that they like to do. The Thai word for work and party is the same, tham ngan. So when a Thai tells you s/he's going tham ngan, understand it in context.

Then if they say pai tham ngan, you have to ask them tham ngan kiao kup arai. :p

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then if they say pai tham ngan, you have to ask them tham ngan kiao kup arai. :p

You don't ask. If you're of the level that they speak like that to you, you'll know whether it's meant to be work, party, working party or partying work.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't ask. If you're of the level that they speak like that to you, you'll know whether it's meant to be work, party, working party or partying work.

no mah. Who knows if I ask, she ask me, wannee fon tok, kid waa mai mee luuk kar, khun wang mai?

:p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wah serious work and party means the same?

Yeah i know tham ngan means to work i didn't know it also meant to make merry.

I sometimes ask my frens tham arai.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

I sometimes ask my frens tham arai.

Every time I ask them pai nai, they say pai tiao. Actually I seldom meet those tell me pai tham ngan. If they say pai tham ngan, then you have to see how they dress.

But if you ask me whether I agree with QSD's assessment of their inferior culture, I can only say their culture is kind of screw up.

They can censor cigarettes, guns on TV shows. They can censor the taboo topics, but you see all the massage parlours open wide wide for people to go in. Discos selling drugs openly. Karaoke lounges with hordes of ladies standing outside asking people to go in. They can worship Buddhism and tell you about peace but they are fighting internal war in their country. Yellows will say fight for King. Reds will say fight for democracy and each colour don't respect govt neither respect the election results.

To survive in Thailand, you got to adopt the same nonchalent attitude as them.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal

They will say pai tiao.

BTW, living off women is not something that is considered shameful in Thai culture. Eat soft rice is okay for men.

So Jah, that truthful acquaintance of yours who profession she is not proud of. What exactly is she doing ?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They will say pai tiao.

BTW, living off women is not something that is considered shameful in Thai culture. Eat soft rice is okay for men.

So Jah, that truthful acquaintance of yours who profession she is not proud of. What exactly is she doing ?

Alamak don't tell me that ramseth was wrong again, it's pai tiao instead of tham ngan?

The last she told me that she worked in thai disco in singapore after graduation and is now currently working in some office in thailand

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every time I ask them pai nai, they say pai tiao. Actually I seldom meet those tell me pai tham ngan. If they say pai tham ngan, then you have to see how they dress.

But if you ask me whether I agree with QSD's assessment of their inferior culture, I can only say their culture is kind of screw up.

They can censor cigarettes, guns on TV shows. They can censor the taboo topics, but you see all the massage parlours open wide wide for people to go in. Discos selling drugs openly. Karaoke lounges with hordes of ladies standing outside asking people to go in. They can worship Buddhism and tell you about peace but they are fighting internal war in their country. Yellows will say fight for King. Reds will say fight for democracy and each colour don't respect govt neither respect the election results.

To survive in Thailand, you got to adopt the same nonchalent attitude as them.

I had someone tell me that it's kind of chaotic in thailand.

Let me go offside a bit and just talk about this minority group in china known as the tai. They are recognised as a minority in china one of the 56 i think.

I believe that these tai ppl from yunan are the direct ancestors of the present day thais. I read from china geographic magazine that they have a tattoo culture and the adults especially the men are expected to get tattoes. They also need to become monks during their youth. Similar to thailand's culture isn't it? That is probably where they got the sak yant tattoo thing from. They also celebrate the water festival in april in which the burmese, laotians and cambodians do too i believe.

http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Minorities/min-Dai.html

From the site it tells me they have a close affinity with the thai ppl instead of the han chinese. This shows that they should be the direct ancestors of the thais.

Anyway thailand has like 800 yrs of history while china's is like 5000.

Last edited: