• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Steve Jobs unveils Apple’s new iPhone 4

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a nice phone . iphone 4. but it need to wear a jacket, if not it will ground the antenna, when you are using the phone.
But it is interesting because that is first computer company that tell the user, how to hold their product. i never heard of this before this.

Apple issues advice to avoid iPhone flaw

The iPhone 4 integrates the antenna into the case
Apple has released official advice for iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of the device losing signal when held by the lower left corner.

Steve Jobs responded to a query about the problem from one owner by saying: "Just avoid holding it in that way."

The official advice is to "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band".

Alternatively, said Apple, customers could buy a case to shield the antenna.

The iPhone 4 went on sale on 24 June, with hundreds of people queuing outside Apple's flagship store in central London for the launch.

Many new owners reported that signal strength dropped when the phone was held.

In a statement, Apple said: "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas."

Steve Jobs issued his response in a message responding to an e-mail from the Ars Technica news site. Mr Jobs wrote that "All phones have sensitive areas".

The problem is thought to be particularly acute for left-handed owners who naturally touch the phone in the sensitive area.

The casing of Apple's latest phone is made of stainless steel, which also serves as its antenna.

Apple sells a rubber "bumper" that shields the sensitive area as do many other firms.

Richard Warner, one of the first to buy an iPhone 4, contacted BBC News, saying that he thought the phone was "useless in its current state".

"Apple have created a phone that has an antenna on the bottom left-hand side of the phone."

"This means that when you hold it in your left hand, the signal bars slowly fade until there is no signal," he wrote.

'Complaints'

A number of videos have been posted on video sharing site YouTube complaining about the reception issue.

One video had an American user running a speed test, with hands on and hands free.

In it, the user 'awington' says that, while holding the phone "it won't even run the test when I am holding the phone... once I let go, it makes a connection and runs the test.

"Hold it a second time, and the upload test will not start."

Social networking site Twitter was full of chatter, with numerous tweets on the reception problems.

The issue might stem from the way the integrated antenna is constructed. One section provides mobile reception, while another is for wi-fi.

Some users have speculated that touching the bottom of the phone bridges this gap, affecting signal strength.

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone 4 at Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, he described the integrated antenna as "really cool engineering".

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1.7 millions users using right hand to make call

Apple today announced sales of over 1.7 million iPhone 4s through Saturday, covering just the first three days of sales.
Apple today announced that it has sold over 1.7 million of its iPhone 4 through Saturday, June 26, just three days after its launch on June 24. The new iPhone 4 features FaceTime, which makes video calling as easy as one tap, and Apple's new Retina display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone, resulting in stunning text, images and video.

"This is the most successful product launch in Apple's history," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply."

Saturday marked the end of Apple's third fiscal quarter (and second calendar quarter), and thus sales from Sunday forward will be included in Apple's next fiscal quarter, due to end in late September.

Apple continues to note that iPhone 4 will move beyond the initial launch countries of the United States, UK, France, Germany, and Japan into an additional 18 countries by the end of July: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

dd3v33sr_169ch3mkvf8_b.jpg

when you hand press hard against left corner, you short wifi antenna with gsm antenna.

the solution is to vapour deposited the stainless steel antenna with glass.

but that mean apple have to admit mistake. which they probably dun. because 1.7 million phones already sold.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cheebye apple trying to lie their way out of this fiasco

boycott apple iphone 4!!!!!!!!!

iPhone 4 signal fault leaves Apple 'stunned'
Technology reporter, BBC News

Steve Jobs holding an iPhone 4 "the wrong way" Apple says a fault on its new iPhone 4 is causing it to incorrectly display the phone's signal.

Users who gripped the phone on the lower left-hand side noticed the signal strength and reception fell away.

Apple says the problem relates to an error on how the signal bars are displayed, rather than the signal itself.

However some industry experts say that there may be a deeper signal problem than a cosmetic design flaw.

Apple is promising a patch fix "within a few weeks". Users may also choose to get a full refund within 30 days of purchase, the firm has said.

The iPhone 4 went on sale on 24 June.

In a statement, Apple said the iPhone 4 had been "the most successful product launch in Apple's history" and that all phones gripped in "certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars".

"We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising," the statement read.

"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.

"Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays two more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display four bars when we should be displaying as few as two bars.

Continue reading the main story Changing the display may make some people feel better, but it doesn't really fix the problem
Stuart Miles

Editor, Pocket-Lint
"Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying four or five bars.

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place."

Another way

Apple said it was going to adopt AT&T's formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength.

The theory now is that, once the patch update has been applied, iPhone's bars will report signal strength "far more accurately" providing users a better indication of the reception in a given area.

But Stuart Miles, editor of technology site Pocket Lint, was sceptical.

Speaking to BBC News, Mr Miles said the news raised a few questions.

"Why, for the first time, has Apple released a bumper for their phone, and why does no one else have this problem," he asked.

"HTC makes metal phones, but they seem to work just fine.

"Changing the display may make some people feel better, but it doesn't really fix the problem," he added.

Apple said the new software to fix this would be released in a few weeks, claiming that as the problem also existed in the original iPhone, it would also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

The iPhone 4 integrates the antenna into the case However, there have been few - if any - complaints about older iPhones losing signal strength when held in a certain way.

Apple's previous advice for iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of the device losing signal was to not place your hand on the lower left corner.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said: "Just avoid holding it in that way."

This latest approach is an unusual admission from the company, which has apologised for "any anxiety we may have caused".

The iPhone 4 went on sale on in June, with hundreds of people queuing Apple's flagship stores across the globe.

Many new owners reported that signal strength dropped when the phone was held.

The casing of Apple's latest phone is made of stainless steel, and also serves as its antenna.

The problem is thought to be particularly acute for left-handed owners who naturally touch the phone in the sensitive area.

Apple sells a rubber "bumper" that shields the sensitive area, as do many other firms.

When Mr Jobs introduced the iPhone 4 at Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, he described the integrated antenna as "really cool engineering".

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Apple hit with lawsuit over iPhone 4 antenna woes
Posted: 02 July 2010 0358 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Apple's iPhone 4

Related News
• Apple's iPhone 4 on sale in China's grey market
• Apple's iPhone 4 makes stellar world debut
• Hundreds race for iPhone 4 at Japan debut

SAN FRANCISCO: Apple is hiring antenna engineers to work on its iPhone, the latest generation of which has triggered lawsuits from buyers upset because certain grips choke signal strength.

A posting online at jobs.apple.com said the company is looking for experienced engineers "able to design antennas suitable for wireless handheld devices with excellent radiation performance."

Apple's iPhone 4 launched a week ago with blockbuster sales and complaints by some that cupping the smartphones in a way that covers the lower left corner strangles telecom service signal strength.

The iPhone 4 has silver edging designed as part of the antenna system to improve signal strength.

Apple responded to signal strength complaints by telling owners of its latest generation iPhone to be mindful of how they hold the handsets.

The problem could be fixed by moving one's hand or encasing iPhones in rubber "bumper" frames that Apple sells for 30 dollars.

"Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas," Apple said in a statement.

"This is a fact of life for every wireless phone."

Apple advised users who experience the signal problem to "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases."

By Thursday, reports surfaced of iPhone 4 buyers unsatisfied with Apple's response filing lawsuits in the United States against the iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Macintosh computer maker.

A lawsuit filed in the state of Maryland wants Apple and exclusive US iPhone telecom service provider AT&T to pay for "unlawful and unconscionable conduct" including "fraud, negligence and deceptive trade practices."

California law firm Kershaw, Cutter and Ratinoff used a freshly redesigned website to recruit disenchanted iPhone 4 buyers for a lawsuit against Apple.

"Thousands of people are really unhappy with their new iPhones and Apple's response to the antenna issue," the law firm said in a blog post. "We told our audience we wanted to hear from them and boy did we."

The law firm said it got 1,400 emails in a single day and that 98 percent of the missives "overwhelmingly expressed discontent."

Antenna concerns did not deter the hordes that descended on Apple stores, with the firm reporting that it sold more than 1.7 million of the smartphones in the first three days on the market.

"I think these issues will sort themselves out," Gartner technology analyst Van Baker told AFP this week. "It is a very impressive phone."

Features luring people to the iPhone 4 include high-definition screens and "FaceTime," which uses a forward facing camera to enable video chat.

The original iPhone launched in 2007 brought smartphones to the masses. Apple has sold more than 50 million of the handsets in the past three years.

But its latest version enters a crowded market full of rivals boasting bigger screens and running on Google's open-source Android operating system, which is more accessible to developers than Apple's tightly guarded system.

Sales of a white iPhone 4 model have been delayed to the second half of July because of unspecified manufacturing difficulties.

The new iPhone will be available in 18 other countries in July and 24 more in August.

- AFP/de

Iphone 5 will run on....Win Mobile 7.... kekekekekeke :biggrin::biggrin::p

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Indeed!! And rejoice if u god HTC HD2... U can chg de firmware frm WM6 to Andriod...:biggrin::biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RD188LlRBGM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RD188LlRBGM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Watch out for Win Mobile 7 and Win 7 Tablet...Wait n c how goot it ish...Battle 4 smartphone and tablet mkt is getting red hot...:biggrin::biggrin:

6591.jpg

Ballmer: More Win 7 Tablet PCs Coming this Year
BY: Jamison Cush, TabletPCReview.com Editor
PUBLISHED: 7/12/2010

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer claimed that PC partners including Dell, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony and Asus will be releasing multiple Windows 7 tablet PCs before the end of the year. Addressing a crowd of 14,000 at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference in Washington DC, Ballmer asserted that Microsoft was "all in" in regards to the slate form factor.

"One of the most important things we'll do in the smart device category is really push forward with Windows 7-based slates and with Win 7 phones," he said. "This is a terribly important area for us. It certainly is an area where we feel all the energy, vigor and push to innovate, to drive hard and compete."

While short on specifics, Ballmer promised a "range of slates" covering various price points and form factors. Ballmer said they "come with keyboards, come without keyboards, they'll be dockable... they'll accept ink as well as touch-based input." Ballmer especially stressed Windows 7 tablet PC usability in the enterprise space, particularly with corporate IT departments.

A graphic shown during the presentation displayed a range of companies promising Windows tablet PCs as "coming within the year." The companies included the manufactures Ballmer mentioned during his address, as well as HP, Fujitsu, MSI, Motion Computing and Panasonic, among others.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Watch out for Win Mobile 7 and Win 7 Tablet...Wait n c how goot it ish...Battle 4 smartphone and tablet mkt is getting red hot...:biggrin::biggrin:

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but this the company responsible for Zune & Kin(some kinda social networking phone).

I think MS has a management problem :rolleyes:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: iphone need a cover, if not you lose signal

overpriced, overhyped, made in china (maybe vietnam this time?) crap. might even explode in toilet while you wipe backside.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple is screwed this time.

If they supply bumpers then they admit product defect and kena sued

If they keep quiet - kena sued as Consumer Report say product have problem. This type of not admitting to problem can have serious consequences.

If they recall product - that is ok but right now they have no solution so recall and do what? Everyday they sell more and more of these phones which instead of adding to bottom line it is now adding to their liability.

Best hope is to find solution at factory level and come out with new phone. Then they can recall the old phones in exchange for new ones. Or maybe give owners a choice of $50 rebate and free bumper or return phone for exchange for new one. Many might go for the rebate since most people use a bumper anyway to protect the phone.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but this the company responsible for Zune & Kin(some kinda social networking phone).

I think MS has a management problem :rolleyes:

Apple greatest threat now isn't MS. It's Andriod. Iphone 4 was released to counter de threat frm Andriod but it's seem to hit way off it's mark.

If WM7 is successful...It will b an interesting triangular war...

Non Apple fan will jump in joy...Apple Fan shd oso b glad as dis will push Apple to do more...

I m fan of my own hard earn cash...i wait till de dust settle then go buy the better 1...:biggrin::biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, whatever happened it won't be a one sided fight like before. Microsoft has become more and more irrelevant by the day. I've been waiting for this day for a very long time. Its great that we won't be beholden to just one company in the future.

Apple greatest threat now isn't MS. It's Andriod. Iphone 4 was released to counter de threat frm Andriod but it's seem to hit way off it's mark.

If WM7 is successful...It will b an interesting triangular war...

Non Apple fan will jump in joy...Apple Fan shd oso b glad as dis will push Apple to do more...

I m fan of my own hard earn cash...i wait till de dust settle then go buy the better 1...:biggrin::biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Indeed, whatever happened it won't be a one sided fight like before. Microsoft has become more and more irrelevant by the day. I've been waiting for this day for a very long time. Its great that we won't be beholden to just one company in the future.

Mobile OS mktg ish wide open...but pc dos not so easy 2 down MS...Root too deep liao...exculding Linux n OsX, last time somebody challenge em is DR DOS...which is nothing more then MSDOS wanna b n 10x more problematic...de only way another OS maker to mushroom overnite ish a complete revamp of current cpu and hardware architecture...making Window completely redundant...de door will b throw wide open once again...:biggrin::biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mobile OS mktg ish wide open...but pc dos not so easy 2 down MS...Root too deep liao...exculding Linux n OsX, last time somebody challenge em is DR DOS...which is nothing more then MSDOS wanna b n 10x more problematic...de only way another OS maker to mushroom overnite ish a complete revamp of current cpu and hardware architecture...making Window completely redundant...de door will b throw wide open once again...:biggrin::biggrin:

OSes are becoming irrelevant. I don't care what I run nowadays as long as I have a device that do what I want. I play video through my netbook connected to my TV on a timecapsule while I have a MBP downloading in my bedroom via transmission. As long as the formats are readable by any of my PCs I don't really care which device I use to access them or how. Be it, Linux, OSX, Windows, Chrome, Androids.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
OSes are becoming irrelevant. I don't care what I run nowadays as long as I have a device that do what I want. I play video through my netbook connected to my TV on a timecapsule while I have a MBP downloading in my bedroom via transmission. As long as the formats are readable by any of my PCs I don't really care which device I use to access them or how. Be it, Linux, OSX, Windows, Chrome, Androids.

Yes for end user...not so simple for corporate and large institution...aw no empire last 4ever...like de fucking papaya, mani r waiting 4 em 2 take de big fall...:biggrin::biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes for end user...not so simple for corporate and large institution...aw no empire last 4ever...like de fucking papaya, mani r waiting 4 em 2 take de big fall...:biggrin::biggrin:

Papaya need to wait for the old man to go first lah, not so easy. Oppo also need to gain some seats also.