• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Proven reading is high ses activity

musashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the moniker is in your ignore list, the threads and posts started by the moniker is automatically removed from sight.

New threads started by the ignored moniker are totally invisible whilst older threads participated by you will remain visible, but the ignored moniker's posts are wiped clean :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
okay, fair enough. :smile:
I've also just tested it for my very first time "ignoring" a member (i.e. @ginfreely); but shortly after that, I un-"ignored" her! :p

But what about guests? They can't "ignore" any member's threads, right?
What if ALL regular/active members (or even better, ALL members) were to "ignore" @ginfreely; or even better again, what if it's possible for @Leongsam (or even just you) to force all members to "ignore" @ginfreely?
She would soon realize that nobody is bothering to reply to her, so she'll just keep starting new spam threads and/or replying to her old spam threads until nearly the whole of the first page (or even first two or three pages) of the Courtyard sub-forum are filled with her spam threads that only she and guests can see, right?
But all other members would be deceived into thinking that all the threads (none of which are started by @ginfreely) they are seeing on the first few pages of the Courtyard sub-forum are what the vast majority (i.e. guests) of visitors:
sammyboy.com/online
are seeing, right?

As of spamming, didn't SeeFartLoong started a thread to complain? Till the alarm bell sound then the cleaner starts work loh :p:p:p
So for example, if starting from before two nights ago, all members (including you and even @Leongsam) were already "ignoring" @ginfreely, then by now, even though none of us can see any threads started by her, the guests (who constitute the vast majority of visitors) would be wondering why nearly all the threads they are seeing on the first page of the Courtyard sub-forum every evening until early morning are started by her, especially since her threads are usually spammed with her lies and/or nonsense, even if she were to start her threads with deceptive titles to attract guests to click on them and read her spam posts.

Is that what @Leongsam and/or you really want to happen to this forum?
confused-gif.40552

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
If attention is what this ginfreely moniker truly yearns, why don't you guys put that moniker in your ignore list? Why give it the pleasure? :p:p:p
I put this gincheeby moniker on my Ignore List before. But took it off to have some fun with "it". When I am sick of "it", I'll do the same again. It's just so much fun now. No where am I able to unleash my unfiltered vulgarian national language but here. I can also troll the troll and make "it" cry foul. Shiok lah. :biggrin:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
@Wunderfool Here is the scientific proof that reading is superior to watching TV that you self claimed read thousandS of books liar said I don’t have this morning to support what I said about reading is superior to watching TV.

http://www.jumpstartyourdreamlife.com/books-vs-tv/

What Science Says About Books and Television
In 2013, a study was performed at Tohoku University in Japan. A team led by Hiraku Takeuchi examined the effects of television on the brains of 276 children, along with amount of time spent watching TV and its long-term effects.

Researcher Takeuchi found that the more TV the kids watched, parts of their brain associated with higher arousal and aggression levels became thicker. The frontal lobe also thickened, which is known to lower verbal reasoning ability.

The more hours of television the kids watched, the lower their verbal test results became. These negative effects in the brain happened regardless of the child’s age, gender, and economic background.

In the same year, a study was done on how reading a novel affected the brain. Gregory Burns and his colleagues at Emory University wanted to see the before and after effects of reading based on fMRI readings.

College students were asked to read Pompeii by Robert Harriss, a thriller based on the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Italy. The book was chosen due to its strong narration and a dramatic plot based on true events.

After reading the novel, the students had increased connectivity in parts of the brain that were related to language. There was also increased activity in the sensory motor region of the brain, suggesting that readers experienced similar sensations to the characters in the book.

There are also long-term effects from reading books. Reading keeps your mind alert and delays cognitive decline in elders. Researcheven found that Alzheimer’s is 2.5 times less likely to appear in elderly people who read regularly, while TV was presented as a risk factor.

Six minutes of reading can reduce stress levels by 68 percent, according to researchers at the University of Sussex. Reading beat out other relaxing activities, including listening to music (61 percent), drinking tea or coffee (54 percent), and taking a walk (42 percent).

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
And this part is exactly what I said this morning to fake novel reader @Wunderfool. Anyone who has read one good novel in life that transcends space and time will know this. Obviously @Wunderfool has read ZERO novel not to know this simple difference between novel reading vs TV/movie.

Television is designed to be passive. After switching to the show you like, you can just sit back and watch everything unfold without effort on your part. You’re less likely to pause to reflect on what’s happening.

TV also presents ideas and characters on a surface level. Shows don’t have the luxury of describing or explaining situations in great detail, since they need to keep viewers visually entertained. TV programs are fast-paced in order to keep people from switching.

Books, on the other hand, are a more proactive form of entertainment and learning. The reader has to concentrate on what’s being said and to think through concepts in the book. When we read, we’re forced to use our imaginations to fill in the gaps.

Books also have the advantage of being able to describe everything in greater depth. While television is mostly composed of dialogue between characters, books can walk readers through scenes, characters’ thoughts, and provide lengthier commentary.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
@Wunderfool Here is the scientific proof that reading is superior to watching TV that you self claimed read thousand books liar said I don’t have this morning to support what I said about reading is superior to watching TV.

What Science Says About Books and Television
In 2013, a study was performed at Tohoku University in Japan. A team led by Hiraku Takeuchi examined the effects of television on the brains of 276 children, along with amount of time spent watching TV and its long-term effects.

Researcher Takeuchi found that the more TV the kids watched, parts of their brain associated with higher arousal and aggression levels became thicker. The frontal lobe also thickened, which is known to lower verbal reasoning ability.

The more hours of television the kids watched, the lower their verbal test results became. These negative effects in the brain happened regardless of the child’s age, gender, and economic background.

In the same year, a study was done on how reading a novel affected the brain. Gregory Burns and his colleagues at Emory University wanted to see the before and after effects of reading based on fMRI readings.

College students were asked to read Pompeii by Robert Harriss, a thriller based on the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Italy. The book was chosen due to its strong narration and a dramatic plot based on true events.

After reading the novel, the students had increased connectivity in parts of the brain that were related to language. There was also increased activity in the sensory motor region of the brain, suggesting that readers experienced similar sensations to the characters in the book.

There are also long-term effects from reading books. Reading keeps your mind alert and delays cognitive decline in elders. Researcheven found that Alzheimer’s is 2.5 times less likely to appear in elderly people who read regularly, while TV was presented as a risk factor.

Six minutes of reading can reduce stress levels by 68 percent, according to researchers at the University of Sussex. Reading beat out other relaxing activities, including listening to music (61 percent), drinking tea or coffee (54 percent), and taking a walk (42 percent).

You're just like a fucking retarded autistic kid, trying to impress and obtain validation from all and sundry. Otherwise, your entire existence is meaningless. Since this is a thread on reading, here is my contribution. I highly encourage you to read it. The link to purchase this book is at the bottom.

31CxMHENeqL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11083090-how-to-commit-a-successful-suicide

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
okay, fair enough. :smile:

Couple of points:

1. You think we PAP ah? Controlling every aspects of this forum? How can force every one to do things to our whims and fancy?

2. SBF spirit shall prevail! This place is the last bastion of free speech! A place we can learn to separate the wheat from the chaff on our own!

:p:p:p

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset

musashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
2. SBF spirit shall prevail!
In my humble opinion, I very much prefer the "Japanese spirit" to prevail:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato-damashii

Yamato-damashii (大和魂, "Japanese spirit") or Yamato-gokoro (大和心, "Japanese heart/mind") is a Japanese language term that refers to the cultural values and characteristics of the Japanese people. The phrase was coined in the Heian period to describe the indigenous Japanese 'spirit' or cultural values as opposed to cultural values of foreign nations such as those identified through contact with Tang dynasty China. Later, a qualitative contrast between Japanese and Chinese spirit was elicited from the term. Edo period writers and samurai used it to augment and support the Bushido concept of honor and valor. Japanese nationalists propagandized Yamato-damashii – "the brave, daring, and indomitable spirit of Japanese people" – as one of the key Japanese military-political doctrines in the Shōwa period. English translations of Yamato-damashii include the "Japanese spirit", "Japanese soul", "Yamato spirit", and "The Soul of Old Japan".

bow-gif.40441

redface-gif.40438

Japanese Music Relaxing Instrumental Music with Traditional Koto, Shamisen, Bamboo Flute Music!
youtube.com/watch?v=DkW1iTyS8dk

1 Hour of Japanese Instrumental Music
youtube.com/watch?v=lyieFu7BnHE

Last edited:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Couple of points:

1. You think we PAP ah? Controlling every aspects of this forum? How can force every one to do things to our whims and fancy?

2. SBF spirit shall prevail! This place is the last bastion of free speech! A place we can learn to separate the wheat from the chaff on our own!

:p:p:p
SMLJ is Sammyboy spirit. My England ish F9. Sammyboy is GUI? This place haunted by GUI is it? A bitchy GUI? :biggrin:

tenor.gif

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Last post before I go off for breakfast...:biggrin:

When you hoready hit almost 50 years old or so, then you suddenly search the internet ... realise that reading is good, and "OPEN" thread in Sammyboy on Reading means what huh?

The last 50 years she Chor Si Mi? "MastErbate" away her life, is it?

:biggrin: