• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Xenophobia in Singapore

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If we paid competitively for our maids, road sweepers, construction workers and nurses, we wouldn't have to worry about no locals taking up these jobs wouldn't we? Tell me, do you think there will be no takers if road sweepers are paid $5k a month? Sure costs will rise and only the fittest companies will survive, and they can only do so by really boosting productivity and investing in technology and machines to cut down on manpower. For far too long, companies in Singapore have been mollycoddled by our government with free access to cheap labour. Even if we don't do so, how long do you think these sorry examples of a business will last the moment the third world countries become first world and these cheap labour sources dry up?

good points. truly free market mechanism

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont know if they are really undergrads or grads
If I were them
I use it as a maketing tool to command higher oremium
if u told the european customers that u are a secondary 4 drop out
immediately the price may drop to 100 eiros

but they dont look or sound like Ah Lian

since you don't know the girl well, why claim that she is an undergraduate?

klkang

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with courage. All my posts are simply statements of fact.

I know what the PAP government does. I also know the reason behind why they do it.

Mr Sam, in that case, care to shed some light what your thoughts are on what the PAP does and why they do it?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Mr Sam, in that case, care to shed some light what your thoughts are on what the PAP does and why they do it?

The PAP's policies are crafted to maximise the benefit to the country as a whole.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If we paid competitively for our maids, road sweepers, construction workers and nurses, we wouldn't have to worry about no locals taking up these jobs wouldn't we? Tell me, do you think there will be no takers if road sweepers are paid $5k a month? Sure costs will rise and only the fittest companies will survive, and they can only do so by really boosting productivity and investing in technology and machines to cut down on manpower. For far too long, companies in Singapore have been mollycoddled by our government with free access to cheap labour. Even if we don't do so, how long do you think these sorry examples of a business will last the moment the third world countries become first world and these cheap labour sources dry up?

The biggest lie we tell ourselves is that if we pay competitive salary Singaporeans will take jobs we traditionally avoid. I've a friend with a stall at a food court offering 3K a month as a hawker assistance, haven't managed to get a local in months. She normal have a day off a week and works half day on Sat. Now she has no day off and have to work the full day on Sat because she couldn't find anyone

At the more extreme end, my mum was complaining she couldn't find anyone at 4K a month(yes even I found it ridiculous). Same thing Hawker assistance albeit their working hours a lot longer. 12hrs with 1 day break every 2 weeks. Anyone they managed to hire have not managed to last 2 weeks.

The fact that the government have push nursing pay to more than 3K a month yet no takers should be good indication that it's not true

So yes please continue to delude yourself with the high wage = locals will take job theory

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The biggest lie we tell ourselves is that if we pay competitive salary Singaporeans will take jobs we traditionally avoid. I've a friend with a stall at a food court offering 3K a month as a hawker assistance, haven't managed to get a local in months. She normal have a day off a week and works half day on Sat. Now she has no day off and have to work the full day on Sat because she couldn't find anyone

At the more extreme end, my mum was complaining she couldn't find anyone at 4K a month(yes even I found it ridiculous). Same thing Hawker assistance albeit their working hours a lot longer. 12hrs with 1 day break every 2 weeks. Anyone they managed to hire have not managed to last 2 weeks.

The fact that the government have push nursing pay to more than 3K a month yet no takers should be good indication that it's not true

So yes please continue to delude yourself with the high wage = locals will take job theory

I challenge if you can advertise that 4k or 3k job in ST classified.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
there are high class singapore whores also
I went up to the former Westin top floor bar
there are singapore undergrads waiting for 'custoners'
but they prefer european customers
who can pay then E$500 or even 1000 euros per shot

1000 euro is around the right price for undergrad student. Overnight should be 2000 euros

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure where U get the idea that SG is expensive

7) high cost of living - My monthly expense works out to about $1000 a month including at least 2 weekly restaurant meal, 1 visit to the cinema, 1-2 cab ride a week, and utility bills/phone bills. Public transport(including cab) works out to less than $100 a month. Meals work out to less than $15 a day(less than $10 if U don't eat big like me). I could afford to visit Australia for 3 weeks while still earning 2.5K a month. These days I can afford to travel further, longer and multiple trips a year(see my travelogue).

I think haven't included property related expenses like property tax and maintenance fee, need a few hundred for that.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If xenophobia erupts, it has nothing to do with the PAP. It's because Singaporeans are unable to match the intelligence, work ethic and determination of the foreign competition.

What a sweeping statement!

With respect, I believe that most Singaporeans are hardworking, and have a positive work ethic.

If your claim is correct, then we should give credit to the govt of SG for "importing" individuals who are more intelligent than Singaporeans.
However, I am guessing that there may be many foreign workers and PR's who are just average, not more intelligent than the majority of Singaporeans.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dont do the sakae con-job on us, we are not stupid.

Tell me where your friend's and your mother stall are, i will get you the workers.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

are you saying that decent pay doesnt attract more singaporeans?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a sweeping statement!

With respect, I believe that most Singaporeans are hardworking, and have a positive work ethic.

If your claim is correct, then we should give credit to the govt of SG for "importing" individuals who are more intelligent than Singaporeans.
However, I am guessing that there may be many foreign workers and PR's who are just average, not more intelligent than the majority of Singaporeans.

well said!!! thanks

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't bullshit please, the market rate for a stall assistant is around $1 to $1.5k for 6 to 8 hours of work. Now it's $3k?

Nobody they hire manage to last 2 weeks? Maybe your mother is a difficult person?

I don't see why this cannot be worked around? 5 day work week @ 3k per month and hiring part time help @ 100 per day? Possible? No, you must force the hawker assistant to work 12 hours a day for 13 days straight, because I suspect you want them to quit voluntarily and deduct their pay.

Nurses are not paid 3k a month, my friend poly grad and finish NS, went into the hospital immediately after NS and gross $2.1 or $2.2k only. So you can imagine how low the starting pay for nurses with ite cert.

So who is deluding who?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't bullshit please, the market rate for a stall assistant is around $1 to $1.5k for 6 to 8 hours of work. Now it's $3k?

Nobody they hire manage to last 2 weeks? Maybe your mother is a difficult person?

I don't see why this cannot be worked around? 5 day work week @ 3k per month and hiring part time help @ 100 per day? Possible? No, you must force the hawker assistant to work 12 hours a day for 13 days straight, because I suspect you want them to quit voluntarily and deduct their pay.

Nurses are not paid 3k a month, my friend poly grad and finish NS, went into the hospital immediately after NS and gross $2.1 or $2.2k only. So you can imagine how low the starting pay for nurses with ite cert.

So who is deluding who?

I concur with your analysis because I had also did an almost similar review myself before. This Char_Azn is obviously telling lies and bullshitting around. Another PAP IB I guess.

Last edited: