• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP Chauvinists: Malays = Barbarians; Malays = Uncivilised

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
the TS needs his brain cells to be examined; racial unity is a prerequisite for S'pore's success; i have worked with many malay bretheren for the longest time and except for cultural and religious differences they are no different from the chinese; playing the racial card is a thing of the past; in today's age of mobile phones and ipads and notebooks, communication is instant and charlatans, racists and etc will eventually be found out and disregarded; wake up

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But there is no issue here since huan ar isn't derogatory term.

Tere r other proper names to call. Y chose such term? U know the definition of "Huan" (wild). My in-laws are Teochew. So i know the definition. Again, if Cantonese can term the Malays as "Malai=yan", y cant u greet the malays as Malai-Lern or Malai-nang?

Last edited:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tere r other proper names to call. Y chose such term? U know the definition of "Huan" (wild). My in-laws are Teochew. So i know the definition. Again, if Cantonese can term the Malays as "Malai=yan", y cant u greet the malays as Malai-Lern or Malai-nang?

The problem is why should we use other term when there is nothing wrong with the term huan ar which refers to indigenous people?

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is why should we use other term when there is nothing wrong with the term huan ar which refers to indigenous people?

Taiwan oso got indigenous ppl. Does the taiwanese call them Huan Na?

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. It obvious that u didn't read the thread from the beginning.

Ok....i get it. Side track...i would be comfortable if Chinese address the Malays as Malai-lern or Malai-Nan. Not Huan-Na and definitely not Keow=toh.

Period.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Huan Na is a derogatory or disrespectful term to the Taiwanese indigenous people too.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Huan Na is a derogatory or disrespectful term to the Taiwanese indigenous people too.

Tks for tat info. I am not a Chinese. I can only learn as much as i could fm my Chinese in-laws. Tats why i posed the same question to 3_M.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tks for tat info. I am not a Chinese. I can only learn as much as i could fm my Chinese in-laws. Tats why i posed the same question to 3_M.

some years ago. a Taiwanese policeman called some indigenous people "Huan Na". they were pretty pissed off. their leaders demanded an official apology from the police. this incident made the news in Taiwan for a few days. i suppose "Huan Na" must be a derogatory or disrespectful term otherwise why would the indigenous people demand an official apology from the police.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's more helpful if people paid more attention to the message. Png Eng Huat who was speaking hokkien was saying Dr Koh Poh Koon will return to PE even if he loses as he will be appointed as PA grassroots and his photos will be all around during Chinese festivals, Malay festivals and Indian festivals. In translation it was "teng nang jia, huan ah jia, ying tor jia".

He was spot on. Remember that KPK was recently appointed PAP chairman.

Png's hokkien was not very well researched, he got only Indian (ying tor) correct, even the term "teng nang" to describe Chinese was not the best. But how a poor translation is racist is beyond me. A racist message would be something to advocate a special position for a certain race.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok....i get it. Side track...i would be comfortable if Chinese address the Malays as Malai-lern or Malai-Nan. Not Huan-Na and definitely not Keow=toh.

Period.

From your reply, it obvious you don't really know dialect. Would appreciate u excuse yourself from this discussion.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I guess all these is due to our upbringing. Remember, wat our children say or do is a reflection of our parents. I oso came across Malays calling Chinese and Indian names which i oso tink is not nice. I will reprimand children if they do so. Likewise parents should tell their children not to call other races by names or derogatory terms.

Itu Orang Tiong-Hua dan Orang India, Ee nang si Malai-Lern or Malai-Nang and IngTor Nang. Sounds better, imo.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From your reply, it obvious you don't really know dialect. Would appreciate u excuse yourself from this discussion.

I may not know much abt dialect. But i sure know Huan is WILD. It can oso mean WIND...in teochew. And why cant i discuss if u dont respect my race by calling names?

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i suppose "Huan Na" must be a derogatory or disrespectful term otherwise why would the indigenous people demand an official apology from the police.

It has to be. Nobody would like to be called as Huan Na aka Wild people.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
I may not know much abt dialect. But i sure know Huan is WILD. It can oso mean WIND...in teochew. And why cant i discuss if u dont respect my race by calling names?

Show me the "offending" chinese character. We discuss from there.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Show me the "offending" chinese character. We discuss from there.

No need character. Juz tell me is Huang Wild in chinese dialect??

When u address a Malay as Huan Na, u mean u show them the character writing?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
National leaders, and for that matter any upcoming leader, should be very careful in calling races by names, for the people are always watching and hearing.

Please always remember that we are a one people, irregardless of race, language and religion. We share the same aim and the destiny.

Our pain here is the same. Our happiness is also shared. We donate blood to one another and also everyone receives organ transplants.

I fail to understand why certain people all over Singapore still call certain members of the Singapore community by derogatory terms?

They refer to Malays as "Khiow Thor", Huan-Na, Indians as Kelingkia, "or-phuay", turbanned and bearded Sikhs as Mangkali, Baboo Singh or Bayee and Chinese as "Babi", "Cheena Bukit"?

Why can't they just call them by the respectful terms. A Malay in Hokkien should rightfully be Malai-lern, an Indian as a simple Hindu-lern, Sikhs as Sikher-lern and Chinese as Teng-lan or Tiongkok lang. (Any way Sikhs are not from Bangladesh or Bengal. They are from the Punjab).

If the locals can call Bangladeshis properly as Bangalas, why not the others....?

I remember as a young child, we used to sing in unison with other kids of both sexs whenever we see a turbannd and bearded Sikh riding past on his old Hercules bicycle, "Mangkali chia chui chee angmor phak lee see, phak buay see angmor chin.................", "Bayee-chope" or shouting colours referring to that of his headdress.

My late father slapped me across the face and rebuked me. My late mother then told me that it was wrong to ridicule any race in such derogatory terms for at the end of the day, these people reside among us and share our same sorrows and what little happiness we had at that time when there was widespread gangsterism, lawlessness and racial conflicts.

I learned from that episode and later on went to befriend the kids of that poor burly Sikh, who was a watchman of a Chinese towkay. The cessation of such such-name-calling enabled that Sikh family to come within our fold. We used to have fun togather. Until today, they are my good friends and all of them speak Hokkien fluently. (There were two beautiful fair-skinned sisters with bluish eyes among them).

Many of them are all proffessionals and well-paid civil servants. From them I went on to befriend more.

In conclusion, we are Singaporeans who faced uncertainties togather, stayed togather, shared sadness togather, studied togather, enjoyed happy and sad occassions togather. Some of us even went through intermarriages with one another and through such unions produced kids who grew up to love and respect the race of both the parents and also enjoyed each other unique functions.

We did NS togather and were "confined to barracks" togather too. None of us were lucky to receive "preferential treatment" as an NSmen.

We are going to face whatever challenges of the future togather. We stood and clapped for political parties togather............Remember.........!!!

So please cease all these name calling.

Mr Heng Swee Keat could take a leaf from this column and henceforth introduce lessons for students on the proper names to be used on diffrerent people of Singapore. That book could also add about the origins of the people of Singapore, their religion, customs, traditions, taboos, eating habits and other rituals. I am sure kids will learn a great deal from these book, which is mysteriously missing from our curriculum.

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My late father slapped me across the face and rebuked me. My late mother then told me that it was wrong to ridicule any race in such derogatory terms for at the end of the day, these people reside among us and share our same sorrows and what little happiness we had at that time when there was widespread gangsterism, lawlessness and racial conflicts.

Correct! Tat was wat I mentioned in my earlier post. How ur children behave is a reflection of the parents.

Anyway with most of the Chinese now speaking Mandarin, hope next time will hear Chinese using "Malai-Lern" on Malays.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It has to be. Nobody would like to be called as Huan Na aka Wild people.

Can I ask how you got "wild" to translate to "huan"? I never heard of it.

What character did you translate from? Ye? Ye is read as "ya" in both hokkien and teochew.

In Taiwan's context, Huan ah actually means foreigner. Nothing to do with wild.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some years ago. a Taiwanese policeman called some indigenous people "Huan Na". they were pretty pissed off. their leaders demanded an official apology from the police. this incident made the news in Taiwan for a few days. i suppose "Huan Na" must be a derogatory or disrespectful term otherwise why would the indigenous people demand an official apology from the police.

Well the malays here aren;t the taiwanese ppl. Also different ppl react differently to the terms.

This thread is still really stupid. A speech given by someone from the most successful opposition party in singapore and the fucker ignores the entire speech and just picked out a term he used to desscribe the malays. Did he even mean to be offensive? of course not. Cannot believe ppl are having this discussion.