• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP Chauvinists: Malays = Barbarians; Malays = Uncivilised

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
ppl are not chinese and he's easily offended btw. Any small thing he will get angry when it involves malays and it isn't even offensive.

Huan ar isn't offensive. Most important thing is Malay don't perceive it as derogatory and Chinese who used it don't mean to insult Malay.

It the same thing when Malay calls chinese "cina" (支那 ). Don't see any reason to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Huan ar isn't offensive. Most important thing is Malay don't perceive it as derogatory and Chinese who used it don't mean to insult Malay.

It the same thing when Malay calls chinese "cina" (支那 ). Don't see any reason to make a mountain out of a molehill.

My point is he isn't a chinese so how do you expect a non chinese trying to teach chinese ppl the meaning of words I like your example of cina used here. No chinese will find cina offensive and imagine if some chinese got offended by it and started a thread about it. This asshole would be saying no it isn't offensive at all and wouldn't even bother about it. Honestly didn't i say "racism" in singapore is just one way for assholes to always try and find fault and get the chinese ppl to bend over for them. That's why threads of this nature are started here and even debated up to 5 pages long. Just imagine if the usage of the malay word cina was debated till 5 pages long.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shaddup la huan na. DO you call chinese ppl cina?

cina is offensive but you still think it's ok right?

Dont talk so much Jamban. Talk is always cheap. When lost, start to zap and infract ppl. Loser!

Show me any post tat i ever address anyone as cina?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U go refer to 3_M post. Malas discuss with u.:rolleyes:

Oh ya....u can carry on jumping to conclusion. Tats ur forte.

Yawn...gonna take a nap.:rolleyes:

Refuses to answer a simple question from me if he thinks cina is offensive.

Well your refusal to answer my simple question is a good enough response on what you think.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm....Indians may not like it. We have to respect them.

There were once i address my Indian Hindu colleague as "Mamak". He dont like it. I dont know y. So nowadays I address them as Ah Neh or Thambia..

Yes some Indians dun like it.

But they also can't explain why. So how?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U mentioned Huan ah mean foreigner. Indian oso foreigner. Am i right? Y specifically address the Malay as such?

My point is why can u guys address the Malay as Malai-lang?

It is very difficult to explain why a language or a dialect evolved in a certain way.

In the early days when the government started on the Speak Mandarin campaign, one of the reasons quoted was the crudeness of colloquial Hokkien as spoken in Singapore when compared to the Min Nam tongue in Taiwan or even Hokkien in Penang. Compared to these two sources, the Singaporean version of Hokkien is very far detached from written Chinese and in fact the vocabulary is so limited that many words in Hokkien are in fact borrowed from Teochew, English and, the surprise of all surprises, Malay. The dialect that you claim uses a derogatory name for Malay in fact love the Malay language so much that it borrows so many common words from Malay in everyday conversation so much so that Singaporean Hokkien is hardly understood overseas unless the speaker consciously avoids using Malay words. It was for this reason, among others, that the Government argued, rightfully or wrongfully, that dialects should give way to Mandarin.

Some of the Malay words used in Hokkien as the main Hokkien words used in everyday conversation are kou-in (kahwin), loti (roti), balu (baru), tapi (tetapi), to-long (tolong), etc. An interesting Hokkien-Malay hybrid in kopitiam term is the word "Kopi-C kosong" which kopiuncle must be consuming quite a bit of. I am not too surprised that Hokkien in Singapore was not given the chance to develop to a higher spoken form similar to written Chinese from its early origin spoken by illiterate immigrants (in other words, it was a pure spoken language with limited association to the written form) as when literacy became more common it was supplanted by Mandarin.

I surmise that in the early days, the word "Huanar", meaning indigenous people, was used to describe Malays who moved in and out of the crowd. For lack of another word because the literacy level of the people at that time, this name has stuck. Although "Huanar", standing for indigenuous people, has no derogatory intent (unless calling someone indigenuous or a bumiputra is derogatory), nevertheless it does imply some division - the indigenuous versus the new people. We can argue till the cows come home that there should not be such differentiation. But the same clear-cut differentiation was also made between different Chinese dialects.

In fact, in the early days, different Chinese dialect groups were separated in their own enclaves even in Chinatown. The Cantoneses were located where the heart of Chinatown is today - Smith Street, Temple Street, Trengganu Street, Mosque street and their surrounds, while the Hokkiens were centered around Hokkien Street, Amoy Street area and there was a Teochew Street for the Teochew. Smaller dialect groups were found near Raffles Hotel and the Beach Road area. The reason why they were located this way was that the Hokkiens were the early birds to arrive in Singapore, then followed by the Teochews and then the Cantonese.

The early birds have the opportunity to develop their business and many became traders and bankers e.g. Wee Cho Yaw's family. Quite a few of the Teochews also became traders and bankers. But when the Cantonese arrived, they were left with only jobs like engineers and technicians. This early bird syndrome also meant that Hokkiens were located closer to the CBD district of Raffles Place while the Cantonese were further away. It also meant that the Hokkien arrivals were from an earlier time, perhaps poorer and less literate which left a mother tongue that had to borrow heavily from the other dialect groups, particularly Teochew, but also Malay and English.

I do not know with this background, whether we should continue to take issue on the use of a term that was the only term used for the purpose dated many, many years ago. To force a change now is to borrow a foreign word, say from Taiwan but it would be a very artificial act.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I remember someone mentioned "cina" was a term first used in Japan. With the animosity of the Japanese for the Chinese in those days, it could actually be a derogatory term. Similarly, when we call Caucasians "Ang Mohs", it sounds ok today but the original forms of "Ang Moh Kwey" or "Ang Moh Sai" are definitely derogatory.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes some Indians dun like it.

But they also can't explain why. So how?

Actually I believe Mama, meaning Brother, originally was quite harmless, same as the word "Tangechi" for sister but if each time you use the word, you are saying something bad about that person then over time, that word becomes a derogatory word. I don't see "Huanar" used that way.

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Good Way To Learn Hokkien

Children is kina kia
Bird is chiao kia
Korean Car is Kia
Give birth is seh kia
Furniture is Ikea
Police is mata kia
Small house is chu kia
Country name is Czechoslovakia
Puppy is kao kia
Kitten is ngiao kia
Chicken is kuey kia
Rabbit is tu kia
H/phone is nokia
I’m Hokkien kia,
Malay is huan na kia
Hindu is kit leng kia
Kuai lou is ang mo kia
Chinese is t’ng lang kia
Japanese is jit pun kia
Bad Guy is phai kia
Good Guy is ho kia
Person who read this message is Gong Kia
If you laugh, you are Siow Kia
And the person who owns this site is HOLAN KIA! Hua hua hua"

http://www.holankia.com/p/about-us.html

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we keep getting butt hurt all the time than things will be very toxic but of cos as a politician you have to be politically correct or risk forming a nasty situation.

I go by this rule, as long as someone doesn't know. It will not hurt. You know an Indian doesn't like being called keleng, or chinese being called Manjen, chink or cina or malays being called mat or kiator, so don't be insensitive to them. Learn to Respect others.

Last edited:

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back to topic.

Ptrader, i believe there are still a sizable segment of society that are stuck with negative views about other races. Let them be. As long as you are an intelligent man, you are able to see everyman is an individual and generalizing him because of his race is ludicrous.

End of the day, we are all born Singaporeans. Pretty special considering how small of a number we are.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to topic.

Ptrader, i believe there are still a sizable segment of society that are stuck with negative views about other races. Let them be. As long as you are an intelligent man, you are able to see everyman is an individual and generalizing him because of his race is ludicrous.

End of the day, we are all born Singaporeans. Pretty special considering how small of a number we are.

Truly wise and touching words.

Thats the way we all should be for our destiny is the same.

When problem comes we are all in it collectively, irregardless of race, language and religion.

When the late Bung Karno declared "Konfrontasi", his commandos who were here had no common enemy.

We were all his enemies for no fault of ours.

His bombings of Macdonald House and Jalan Wangi claimed the lives of all races and religions.

So let us all leave as one united people for we have to sail in the ship, "SS Singapore" togather in fine and rough weather.

Our destination would be same and we have to co-exists so as to reach our desired destinasi (destination) togather.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of simply coming clean and apologising, we have the WP "Malays-are-m&ds" members and racists and WP "Indians-are-shitskins" Chinese chauvinists trying desperately to defend the indefensible and trying ever so self-righteously to proclaim their purity and innocence and to redefine "huan na" as being nothing more than an innocuous label for the Malays.

We have the WP panties expert trying to obfuscate the issue by going off-tangent. And we have that loud, sharp squeals emanating from that little SAPS half-brained young Chinese hard-core pariah, the worst amongst the Workers Party Chinese chauvinists, in his bid to valiantly defend the party of Chinese chauvinists (which he is instinctively drawn to due to a commonality of interest and like Low, a mindless obsession with all things Chinese) about "racism".

In the twisted Nanyang world view of the WP members, WP racists, WP Chinese chauvinists and WP SAPS half-brains, it is deemed perfectly acceptable for minority Malays (and Indians) to be treated with disrespect, condescension and contempt and to be called by disrespecful, derogatory and racists labels.

Such a racist view from the WP chauvinist is no different from the twisted, racist worldview of the White supremacists who deem the derogatory, racist label of "Chinks", "gooks", "slant-eyes, "slopes" for the Chinese to be normal and acceptable.

Such a racist view from the WP chauvinist is no different from the twisted, racist worldview of the Japanese who deem the racist and derogatory labels of "chankoro" or "Shina" to be fitting labels for the Chinese who they saw as dirty, backwards, and very ironically - in the context of how the WP Chinese Chauvinists view the Malays - uncultured and barbaric.

The WP riff-raffs, in trying to redefine "huan na" as being nothing more than an innocuous label for Malays are being repulsively dishonest.

The cancerous attitude of the WP Chinese chauvinists towards minority Malays and Indians will destroy Singapore's multi-racial society if they are not stopped. A small step in stopping the growth and spread of this cancer of Chinese chauvinism in multi-racial Singapore is for the WP chauvinists to stop hiding in their racial gutters and hoping that this issue will wither away or die off. This will not happen.

The Malays have generously shared their land with the Chinese fleeing the upheavals in China. The Malays have thrown in their lot with Singapore since 1965. They could have easily teamed up with the UMNO Ultras to destabilise Singapore and to be re-established as the majority race. Likewise, the Malays could have gone the Palestinian route to get rid of the Chinese and to reclaim Singapore as their land. No such thing has happened. The Malays have not done so. The Malays have thrown their lot in with us.

My friends, colleagues and I and the once (and genuinely and not "minorities-needed-for-GRC-contest) multi-racial WP under Marshall and Jeyaratnam recognise this. For that, we are grateful to the Malays and we will defend them (and our Indian) brothers and sisters from the poison and cancer of Chinese chauvinism held and displayed by the WP "Malays-are-m&ds" members and racists and WP "Indians-are-shitskins" Chinese chauvinists.

A little gratitude, respect and recognition from Low and his current lot of WP "Malays-are-m&ds" members and racists and WP "Indians-are-shitskins" Chinese racists and chauvinists, is in order.

As a first step towards showing that little gratitude, respect and recognition to the Malays for their generosity and sacrifice, the WP Chinese chauvinists and ingrates must come clean and publicly apologise for showing disrespect to and contempt for the Malays by referring to them as "huan na", i.e. savages and barbarians.