• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traditional Singapore Street Names

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I'm mistaken that's also alright, no problem. That's how we all learn right things instead of stubbornly insisting on wrong things.

It's wise to be humble and admit mistakes.

Some people still believe that Ho Ching Road (opposite Chinese Garden) is associated with our Prime Minister's wife - to honour her contributions to Singapore or her talent.

zikoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why u want to witness the scene?Btw the gang members murdered someone but i doubt they'll be slapped with a murder charge cos i heard gang fights usually only have man slaughter charges.

I wonder if it appeared in the news.

SINGAPORE: A 58-year-old jobless man has been charged with a murder in Geylang on Friday.

Lim Kok Tiong and five others, whose identities are currently unknown, are believed to have been part of an unlawful assembly that attacked 51-year-old Yong Sian Moo at the back lane between Lorong 11 and 13. A police media release said that Yong and a 47-year-old Chinese man were found injured at the scene.

They were sent to Tan Tock Seng Hospital where the Mr Yong died about two hours later. Lim told the court on Monday that he did not commit the offence. He is now remanded at the Central Police Division and will be back in court next Monday. If convicted of murder, Lim will face the death penalty. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1145785/1/.html

back to history...... :biggrin:

OK enough of street fights. Now back to street names. Sungei Road is written in Chinese as 结霜桥 not 结冰桥。This is because the name is given in dialect (somewhere between Hocchew and Hokkien), not Mandarin.
Yeap, right on….. :wink:

Yes, Rochor End is Crawford Street, later the term also covered across Beach Road estate up to Golden Mile, now more commonly known as Little Thailand. While still at this area, behind Golden Mile is Nicholl Highway. What's its traditional name before the stretch was fully converted into a highway?

Tok Lip Kio ?? :p

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeap, right on….. :wink:

Tok Lip Kio ?? :p

Yeap, a.k.a. Merdeka Bridge, you're right on too. :smile:

While on the topic of bridges, there're many bridge names that seem to come without a bridge, e.g. Ang Mo Kio (this one everyone knows where), Pek Kio (Rangoon-Owen), Orh Kio (Balestier-Kim Keat) and more funny Orh Kio Tao (Redhill-Queenstown, so far away from Balestier-Kim Keat). I don't see any bridge there. This is not a quiz question since I don't know the answer myself. Those who know the answer, hope you care to share.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi there

1. bro, yes the cano labelled rochor/sungei road area as that.
2. wow! i cannot imagine those street names really bring out sheepishland's local flavour.
3. btw, when i was a kid, i was afraid when i heard this "pek san ting".
4. i just hate that place, the chn cemetery, now bishan.

pek san theng mean bishan pavallion in cantonese. my mum told me there was such a structural in the area. That area cementary buried were mainly people who came from canton aka guangdong. i have vague memories of a 2-4 years old boy climbing at a hill to sweep the family tombs at qingming period. Then pap govt exhumed the remains in the name of national development and most all the exhumed remains are rehouse to the current setup. So the name pek san theng now refer the building that house the exhumed remains. Now older, still accompany my mum there during qingming, can see from the tablets that most of those burial there were from only 5-6 regions of guangdong.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng used to live in mangkaka during childhood days mah - kinjiokar just behind new world amusement park mah.:biggrin:

Then you must know where's Huey Hng (Nam Seng Garden) and Hang Lor Yoh Hai Tuey Chu (Furnace Seabed House). :wink:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then you must know where's Huey Hng (Nam Seng Garden) and Hang Lor Yoh Hai Tuey Chu (Furnace Seabed House). :wink:

lianbeng not familiar with those 2 places lah - more interested in latarhang mah. my chinese language sir always joked with us, "你们放学后没有回家读书是不是去后巷?" then we would rebut him, "你怎么知道?你一定是每天去咯!" and he would laugh ...hahaha...:biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng not familiar with those 2 places lah - more interested in latarhang mah. my chinese language sir always joked with us, "你们放学后没有回家读书是不是去后巷?" then we would rebut him, "你怎么知道?你一定是每天去咯!" and he would laugh ...hahaha...:biggrin:

latarheng lol. very dirty? There's a big shopping mall and a condo next to it.

zikoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
lianbeng used to live in mangkaka during childhood days mah - kinjiokar just behind new world amusement park mah.:biggrin:

does lianbeng knows how the name mangka ka came about?? place used to be jackfruit plantation (under jackfruit tree) or place is infested with mosquitoes (mosquito bite leg)?? :biggrin:

Hang Lor Yoh Hai Tuey Chu - Bendemeer Road?? if yes, which part?? & how the name came about?? :p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
didn't know about these names anyway these places are the oldest in sg.

What about places like tampines, chua chu kang etc? They had newer towns built there were they given any nicks?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me contribute another quiz question - Redhill/Bukit Merah. Everyone who's been there knows that there's no hill there all the way to Telok Belangah Mt. Faber which is obviously not the hill that Redhill/Bukit Merah is referring to since it's got its own name. Why then is that area called Redhill/Bukit Merah? Where's the hill? Bukit di mana? :wink:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
does lianbeng knows how the name mangka ka came about?? place used to be jackfruit plantation (under jackfruit tree) or place is infested with mosquitoes (mosquito bite leg)?? :biggrin:

lianbeng replies zikoman, "when u have a jackfruit plantation surely all the mozzies will attack ur legs mah.":biggrin:

Last edited:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me contribute another quiz question - Redhill/Bukit Merah. Everyone who's been there knows that there's no hill there all the way to Telok Belangah Mt. Faber which is obviously not the hill that Redhill/Bukit Merah is referring to since it's got its own name. Why then is that area called Redhill/Bukit Merah? Where's the hill? Bukit di mana? :wink:

Got lah - all Bukits are higher land,or small hills - the original Malay name. Bukit Merah and adjacent Bukit Ho Swee are relatively small hillocks made of sandstone and appeared dusty and red in colour. Around the hills were squatter colonies of congested attap and zinc houses. The hilltops were relatively bare - that accounted for the red colour surface. Pigs used to roam and shit all over the place. Of course, the great Bt Ho Swee fires cleared off the colonies - and with it went the most notorious gangsters of Bt Ho Swee! Even after the fires, the remnants of gangs used to hide their parangs in our small gardens.

Now very old liao - some gang members are hiding in Queenstowns, and even outlying Indonesian islands and Malaysian small towns in Johor. Of course Bukit Ho Swee and Bukit Merah very different - the PAP gahmant has erased the red and coloured it with green trees all over the islands. Much of the land is lowered and levelled.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got lah - all Bukits are higher land,or small hills - the original Malay name. Bukit Merah and adjacent Bukit Ho Swee are relatively small hillocks made of sandstone and appeared dusty and red in colour. Around the hills were squatter colonies of congested attap and zinc houses. The hilltops were relatively bare - that accounted for the red colour surface. Pigs used to roam and shit all over the place. Of course, the great Bt Ho Swee fires cleared off the colonies - and with it went the most notorious gangsters of Bt Ho Swee! Even after the fires, the remnants of gangs used to hide their parangs in our small gardens.

Now very old liao - some gang members are hiding in Queenstowns, and even outlying Indonesian islands and Malaysian small towns in Johor. Of course Bukit Ho Swee and Bukit Merah very different - the PAP gahmant has erased the red and coloured it with green trees all over the islands. Much of the land is lowered and levelled.

What do you mean by hiding? The police cannot find them?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hang Lor Yoh Hai Tuey Chu - Bendemeer Road?? if yes, which part?? & how the name came about?? :p

There's no need for mosquitoes for Mangaka to be named as such. Jackfruit is already Manga in Chinese. Ditto Kinjio as in Kinjioka means banana in Chinese. Yes, both named after old plantations.

Yes, Bendemeer, the stretch between the two bridges of Bendemeer Road from Kallang industrial estate to Kallang Bahru HDB estate. It was a small land with mostly old non-electrical oven making cottage industry, hence the old name Hang Lor Yoh. The land was extended by reclamation splitting the Kallang River at this point into two tributaries, hence there're two bridges within two bus-stop distance, and also hence the name Hai Tuey Chu for the flats built on reclaimed land, literally meaning house on seabed or more accurately, riverbed. That marked the disappearance of the real Kolam Ayer, that's the river basin area of Kallang River that was reclaimed and the river basin split into two tributaries. Kolam Ayer means water basin in Malay. There was a real river basin here. Kolam Ayer now still means from Bendemeer after Boon Keng to Kallang Bahru.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Found an old picture of New Bridge Rd...PP not even build yet...i remember food at de hawker ctr beside de 555 sign board ish realli goot...:biggrin::biggrin:

new_bridge_road.jpg

Last edited: