• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traditional Singapore Street Names

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
四排坡 is honestly at where? i am in the 80s era where such names were already seldom being used. but i keep hearing this

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
四排坡 is honestly at where? i am in the 80s era where such names were already seldom being used. but i keep hearing this

General hospital....probably translated from old name sepoy lines.

Circuit road was aljunied ten storeys... There were a few places that uses the HDB flat height as the name.

Additional places 蚊咬脚, 九曲十三弯, 南天 And of course 香蕉脚

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's SGH but the Chinese transliteration is incorrect; should be 生牌部。The place where birth certificates were issued before KK was built.

Z

Zombie

It's SGH but the Chinese transliteration is incorrect; should be 生牌部。The place where birth certificates were issued before KK was built.

i think it should be called 四排埔 (sepoy lines) or 中央医院

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_1352_2008-10-30.html

When the Madras Infantry arrived, they built their barracks at the area around the junction of Outram Road and New Bridge Road. This place came to be known as Sepoy Lines. This site is now currently occupied by the Singapore General Hospital (SGH). To the Chinese in Singapore, the area was known as sipai-po (a Hokkien term meaning "Sepoy plain"). Sepoy Avenue and Sepoy Lane used to be in the SGH grounds but these roads have since been expunged.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....ah ram , so fast already anyhow shoot.....u need to check your facts.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
had a good laugh when i went through the website. Now then i know Amoy Quee camp is red hair ghost camp. HAHHAHA

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it should be called 四排埔 (sepoy lines) or 中央医院

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_1352_2008-10-30.html

Correct, "see pai por"..there was a sepoy lines

Acommodation
When the Bengal troops first arrived in Singapore, the military garrison set up camp at the foot of the Fort Canning Hill. Later, they shifted to a site along Pearl's Hill, which was later known as Cantonment Road, named after the troops cantonments. The area around Cantonment Road was identified by Raffles in 1819 as suitable land for the building of a fort and barracks for the East India Company (EIC) troops.

Subsequently, in the 1820s, a military cantonment was constructed at the area bounded by Prinsep Street, Albert Street and Bras Basah Road. The area is now called Short Street.

Sepoy Lines...that was when it became 'see pai'...

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct, "see pai por"..there was a sepoy lines

Acommodation
When the Bengal troops first arrived in Singapore, the military garrison set up camp at the foot of the Fort Canning Hill. Later, they shifted to a site along Pearl's Hill, which was later known as Cantonment Road, named after the troops cantonments. The area around Cantonment Road was identified by Raffles in 1819 as suitable land for the building of a fort and barracks for the East India Company (EIC) troops.

Subsequently, in the 1820s, a military cantonment was constructed at the area bounded by Prinsep Street, Albert Street and Bras Basah Road. The area is now called Short Street.

Sepoy Lines...that was when it became 'see pai'...

There's something wrong with this linking since SGH is near but not in Cantonment area (now police complex). It's in Bukit Merah-Outram area. Prinsep-Short area is better known for old ROV Chia Pai Po 车牌部 (now election department). The naming pattern matches Ramseth description of SGH as Si Pai Po 生牌部.

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng rebuts ramseth, "lucky u never ended up at see pai por aka seepoy lane at that time.":rolleyes:
Seepoy Lane refers to that small little lane where the mortuary once faced the main Outram Road now hiding behind that HSA building liao.
in those days, when u r referred to see pai por, it meant u r going there to die lor.:biggrin:

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where is ' five horse road'...mmm mah low in Cantonese

Big Town Main Street 大坡大马路
Big Town 2nd Street 大坡二马路

Small Town Main Street 小坡大马路
Small Toiwn 2nd Street 小坡二马路
Small Town 3rd Street 小坡三马路
Small Town 4th Street 小坡四马路
Small Town 5th Street 小坡五马路
Small Town 6th Street 小坡六马路
Small Town 7th Street 小坡七马路

Anyone know where's the demarcation between Big Town and Small Town and the official English street names?

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know everything just try some.

十楼 = Circuit Road (this one I very sure since I lived there before)
火城 = Lavender ---> i tot this was kallang gaswork
白沙浮 = Bugis

The rest I don't know.

rochor is cake sen kio rite? i donno the chinese script.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's something wrong with this linking since SGH is near but not in Cantonment area (now police complex). It's in Bukit Merah-Outram area. Prinsep-Short area is better known for old ROV Chia Pai Po 车牌部 (now election department). The naming pattern matches Ramseth description of SGH as Si Pai Po 生牌部.

lianbeng rebuts ramseth, "lucky u never ended up at see pai por aka seepoy lane at that time.":rolleyes:
Seepoy Lane refers to that small little lane where the mortuary once faced the main Outram Road now hiding behind that HSA building liao.
in those days, when u r referred to see pai por, it meant u r going there to die lor.:biggrin:

I'm beginning to mix Ramseth version and Lianbeng version into something. Maybe it's not 生牌部。Maybe it's 死牌部。

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Desker, Sam Leong and Petain are already out of town in the traditional naming system. Have you heard of Hougang 1st Milestone, 2nd Milestone, 3rd milestone etc.? Give you a tip, Hougang 1st Milestone marked the end of downtown at Tekka. Hougang used to be synonymous with Serangoon.

Whether it used hougang as a name, i not very sure. but the whole stretch of road is along serangoon road, upper serangoon road and punggol road all the way to the punggol jetty. The second mile point shd be about the chinese hospital just before boon keng, the 3rd mile point is the junction between upper serangoon and macpherson road, 4th mile point is junction with bartley road/braddell road. 5th mile point is lim tua tow market(demolished). 6th mile point is simon road market(demolished), 7th mile point is the begining of punggol road.

in the past, buikit timah also use milestone as location marker, only those in their 50s may still remember where are the milestone marker.

remember the name of the old bishan cememtary? hehe...

optimusprime

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's been a long time since I've started a thread. From the other thread http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?...nish-mahjong-session-b4-taking-statement..LOL I've got a side topic idea, let's recall some traditional Singapore street names, beginning with our downtown of course. Our downtown was divided into big town 大坡 and small town 小坡。That was because the town and street names were given by the British in an era when few Chinese were English educated. So they improvised and developed their own naming system.

Big Town Main Street 大坡大马路
Big Town 2nd Street 大坡二马路

Small Town Main Street 小坡大马路
Small Toiwn 2nd Street 小坡二马路
Small Town 3rd Street 小坡三马路
Small Town 4th Street 小坡四马路
Small Town 5th Street 小坡五马路
Small Town 6th Street 小坡六马路
Small Town 7th Street 小坡七马路

Anyone know where's the demarcation between Big Town and Small Town and the official English street names?

These Chinese street names are not Singaporean, they are foreign and unwelcomed.

optimusprime

Alfrescian
Loyal

Orchard road is a traditional Singapore street name. Such Chinese street names are unofficial foreign names used by low-wage smelly foreign workers from China, they are not welcomed and must be wiped out to prevent dilution of traditional Singaporean culture.

Last edited: