• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traditional Singapore Street Names

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Close but not close enough. Geylang begins with Lorong 1 at Kallang-Upper Boon Keng junction and ends with Lorong 42 at Payar Lebar, beyond which is called Geylang Serai and from where the Changi Milestones start counting. By the way, there was another bloodbath at Lorong 11 two nights ago. :eek:

Heard those involved were members of GSS and AMT. 3 of the 5 already chaboked to M'sia. Use of toilet without patronizing the kpt, over beer promoter were two reasons I heard leading to the fatal attack. Nothing to do with territory coz I think that lor belongs to Heng Kee.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard those involved were members of GSS and AMT. 3 of the 5 already chaboked to M'sia. Use of toilet without patronizing the kpt, over beer promoter were two reasons I heard leading to the fatal attack. Nothing to do with territory coz I think that lor belongs to Heng Kee.

What kind of gang is gss and amt and heng kee?

Who even joins these gangs anymore.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What kind of gang is gss and amt and heng kee?

Who even joins these gangs anymore.

GSS - Great S'pore Sale. AMT - Ang Mo Tuakee.

GSS - Guat San Siah, AMT - Ang Meng Tong.

The three gangs all in decline with no active recruitment. More senior citizens inside than youths prepared to kill or be killed. Heng Kee had their 7th mth dinner at Jln Besar last night.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I heard differently. Nothing to do with toilet or any incident on impulse. It was a premeditated ambush. Ten men all dressed in black and all armed with parangs going for the blood of the two brothers. The chase was across two or three lorongs and finally ended up in Lorong 11 when they're satisfied that both were dead. Too bad for them, one actually survived. I guess seeing no chance, they just lied down, closed their eyes and prayed they survive after slashings stopped. One was lucky, the other wasn't.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard differently. Nothing to do with toilet or any incident on impulse. It was a premeditated ambush. Ten men all dressed in black and all armed with parangs going for the blood of the two brothers. The chase was across two or three lorongs and finally ended up in Lorong 11 when they're satisfied that both were dead. Too bad for them, one actually survived. I guess seeing no chance, they just lied down, closed their eyes and prayed they survive after slashings stopped. One was lucky, the other wasn't.

simi 2 brother? Why ambush leh?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
simi 2 brother? Why ambush leh?

I heard that the two targets are brothers who persistently pushed some soft drugs in territories out-of-bounds to them. Not young punks, but old-hand streetsters about mid 40s or so. Given warnings but ignored warnings and tried to act and talk tough. Actually I was unlucky not to have at least partially witnessed the scene. Me and two friends after WP Openhouse on that night decided to go somewhere to have supper and some rounds of beer. The choice was between Geylang and Golden Mile. The vote was 2:1 for Golden Mile and I was the one voting for Geylang since I haven't been there for quite a while.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK enough of street fights. Now back to street names. Sungei Road is written in Chinese as 结霜桥 not 结冰桥。This is because the name is given in dialect (somewhere between Hocchew and Hokkien), not Mandarin. The bridge is still there but the ice factory is no longer there, neither is the adjacent Johore Road. The English (or rather Malay) name Sungei Road means the river that flows under the bridge but even longer ago converted to a canal as part of the Rochor Canal project. The main road next to Sungei Road is of course Rochor Canal Road. Now time for another trivia quiz. Rochor is 梧曹 in Chinese. Where's 梧曹尾 Rochor End (unofficial)?

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sec school used to send many of us there to watch inter zone b-ball tornaments.

The basketball stadium looked kind of epic. Reminds me of the muay thai stadium in lumpini park in bkk.

Now i cannot even recall which part of geylang the basketball stadium used to be but you told me it's expressway so it should be near nicoill high way area.

I too have been to the basketball stadium to watch some match during my sec sch days. And if i am not wrong, the stadium is situtated in front of the current Gay World Hotel. Along Geyland Road, you can stil find the hotel. And in front of the hotel, you will see a bus stop now. And the field behind the bus stop now, is the basketball stadium. And also the "Gay World" amusement park. And old bird to confirm these??
!&!!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I too have been to the basketball stadium to watch some match during my sec sch days. And if i am not wrong, the stadium is situtated in front of the current Gay World Hotel. Along Geyland Road, you can stil find the hotel. And in front of the hotel, you will see a bus stop now. And the field behind the bus stop now, is the basketball stadium. And also the "Gay World" amusement park. And old bird to confirm these??
!&!!

i not old bird enough but i remember there a cinema showing keling movie and the takwando association was inside gayworld b4 gaywaorld was demolished.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK enough of street fights. Now back to street names. Sungei Road is written in Chinese as 结霜桥 not 结冰桥。This is because the name is given in dialect (somewhere between Hocchew and Hokkien), not Mandarin. The bridge is still there but the ice factory is no longer there, neither is the adjacent Johore Road. The English (or rather Malay) name Sungei Road means the river that flows under the bridge but even longer ago converted to a canal as part of the Rochor Canal project. The main road next to Sungei Road is of course Rochor Canal Road. Now time for another trivia quiz. Rochor is 梧曹 in Chinese. Where's 梧曹尾 Rochor End (unofficial)?

i think there a cantonese name for the rochor area. i remember my father telling me it call "tham sui hor" literally translate as fresh water stream/river.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think there a cantonese name for the rochor area. i remember my father telling me it call "tham sui hor" literally translate as fresh water stream/river.

hi there

1. bro, yes the cano labelled rochor/sungei road area as that.
2. wow! i cannot imagine those street names really bring out sheepishland's local flavour.
3. btw, when i was a kid, i was afraid when i heard this "pek san ting".
4. i just hate that place, the chn cemetery, now bishan.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's why you can't find any lorong with Lorong 2 Geylang roadsign. Another trivia quiz, how many lorongs are there in Geylang?

hi there

1. ram, out of curosity!
2. why is there some lorong 101 and 110 along geylang serai?
3. while the lorongs in geylang stop at 44 or 46 or what.
4. do you have any idea?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi there

1. ram, out of curosity!
2. why is there some lorong 101 and 110 along geylang serai?
3. while the lorongs in geylang stop at 44 or 46 or what.
4. do you have any idea?

i think the lorong 101 and 110 u saw at along serai belong to changi lorong, not geylang lorong.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reports said fight was over cough syrup selling rights...

Rochor end is Crawford street.

The Harlem Globetrotters ever played in gay world stadium as well...

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard that the two targets are brothers who persistently pushed some soft drugs in territories out-of-bounds to them. Not young punks, but old-hand streetsters about mid 40s or so. Given warnings but ignored warnings and tried to act and talk tough. Actually I was unlucky not to have at least partially witnessed the scene. Me and two friends after WP Openhouse on that night decided to go somewhere to have supper and some rounds of beer. The choice was between Geylang and Golden Mile. The vote was 2:1 for Golden Mile and I was the one voting for Geylang since I haven't been there for quite a while.

Why u want to witness the scene?Btw the gang members murdered someone but i doubt they'll be slapped with a murder charge cos i heard gang fights usually only have man slaughter charges.

I wonder if it appeared in the news.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rochor end is Crawford street.

Yes, Rochor End is Crawford Street, later the term also covered across Beach Road estate up to Golden Mile, now more commonly known as Little Thailand. While still at this area, behind Golden Mile is Nicholl Highway. What's its traditional name before the stretch was fully converted into a highway?

Why u want to witness the scene?Btw the gang members murdered someone but i doubt they'll be slapped with a murder charge cos i heard gang fights usually only have man slaughter charges.

Live is always better than movie, isn't it? :wink:

Rioting with dangerous weapons causing death, the penalty is still death.

Last edited: