• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traditional Singapore Street Names

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice thread by Ramseth.

I don't know much about these old Chinese street names, but agree that this thread is interesting. Let me put in my two cents worth for English street names. Queen Street is mentioned here as Small Town 3rd Street and Victoria Street as Small Town 2nd Street. Then there's Queenstown which is quite far away from Queen Street. They weren't named after the same queen. Queen Street was named after Queen Victoria and Queenstown was named after Queen Elizabeth II.

Last edited:

zikoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cake Sng Kio is Sungei Road.
The laska moved to nearby block 31 Kelantan Lane...ate the laksa since it was 50 cents till today's $2...

my understanding of kek sng kio (结冰桥)

its actually referring to the bridge that span across Rochor Canal (see map below in red). it was named such becos there used to be a ice making factory at junction of Sungei & Weld Rd (in blue). however, as day goes by, that area ended up being refer to as Kek Sng Kio...
I have a friend who grew up in that area, his GF used to own a small kopi tiam along a row of shophouses along Weld Rd (in green). Heard the history of Kek Sng Kio from him.

Any Ah Pek to verify this?? :biggrin:

as for the laksa at Blk 31, now selling at $2 or $3. Just had a bowl there 2 weeks back... still as delicious as ever.... :biggrin:

137342698f692db5a9cf276340848ab151c273ff.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another anomaly is nicholl highway located at beach road and nicoll drive which is in changi.
Maybe taxi driver bros can provide more examples.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for sharing.
I think that ice factory was still around up to the late 80s.
Back then they would sell anything there....my windscreen wiper from my ford cortina got ripped off and I bought it back the next day there!

The laksa you had to stand around or squat next to longkang to eat it back then

my understanding of kek sng kio (结冰桥)

its actually referring to the bridge that span across Rochor Canal (see map below in red). it was named such becos there used to be a ice making factory at junction of Sungei & Weld Rd (in blue). however, as day goes by, that area ended up being refer to as Kek Sng Kio...
I have a friend who grew up in that area, his GF used to own a small kopi tiam along a row of shophouses along Weld Rd (in green). Heard the history of Kek Sng Kio from him.

Any Ah Pek to verify this?? :biggrin:

as for the laksa at Blk 31, now selling at $2 or $3. Just had a bowl there 2 weeks back... still as delicious as ever.... :biggrin:

137342698f692db5a9cf276340848ab151c273ff.jpg

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I guess many still remember Johore Road that was nearby :biggrin:.....

Does Johore Road still exist? I remembered seeing that road sign when I was a schoolboy, but now I can't seems to find it anymore when I drive around that area...:confused:

Last edited:
Z

Zombie

Does Johore Road still exist? I remembered seeing that road sign when I was a schoolboy, but now I can't seems to find it anymore when I drive around that area...:confused:

no more liao.. the last stretch was replaced by the victoria street wholesale market...

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johor rd used to be where the ah kuas would hang out.

Btw what about gay world and the many worlds in geylang?

What happened to the basketball stadium at geylang?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johor rd used to be where the ah kuas would hang out.

Btw what about gay world and the many worlds in geylang?

What happened to the basketball stadium at geylang?

Geylang only got one world...

The stadium tore down now become road leading to expressway.
Early 90s still around...that street got Chan Mali Chan and Dato Rajah.....also got hawker center the Peking Duck only 10 bucks per duck.

Johore Road 1st streets all the ahquas and behind streets house the old prostitutes.

Last edited:

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malabar Street anyone remember?

The Hainanese Association of Singapore, Kheng Chiu Hwee Kuan and clan temple building was built in 1857 in three adjoining shop houses along No. 6, Malabar Street.[9] In 1878, it moved to its present location along Middle Road, and later underwent renovations in 1963. The main deity of this temple was Tian Hou (or Ma Chor), the goddess of safe passage at sea. The temple has a wealth of valuable artifacts such as couplet scrolls by famous personalities, rare bronze guard of honour, stone tablets and inscribed boards.[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Road,_Singapore

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The actual bugis street with all the ahquas was at the present day bugis junction...locals call it black street.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Early 90s still around...that street got Chan Mali Chan and Dato Rajah.....also got hawker center the Peking Duck only 10 bucks per duck.

Johore Road 1st streets all the ahquas and behind streets house the old prostitutes.

That's why you can't find any lorong with Lorong 2 Geylang roadsign. Another trivia quiz, how many lorongs are there in Geylang?

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to spend some years at "Lao Tao Hang"(very near to Pek kio)in the 70s b4 hse was "annexed" by URA! Daylight robbery then cos was informed land was acquired for govt housing project but instead it's sold to a private property developer...real fucktard!

zikoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing.
I think that ice factory was still around up to the late 80s.
Back then they would sell anything there....my windscreen wiper from my ford cortina got ripped off and I bought it back the next day there!

The laksa you had to stand around or squat next to longkang to eat it back then

now my memories are coming back :biggrin: the corner most should be a kopi tiam where the Laksa stall was. The ice factory should be beside this kopi tiam. :p

I guess many still remember Johore Road that was nearby :biggrin:.....

oh yeah! outtta curiosity, went there once to kia kia 6c6c before the place was cleared for redevelopment. was nearly molested by a AQ :biggrin:

zikoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why you can't find any lorong with Lorong 2 Geylang roadsign. Another trivia quiz, how many lorongs are there in Geylang?

based on number, there should be 44. + 3 As = 47. minus former Lorongs 2 & 5 (cleared for KPE) = 45...

but i have a feeling 45 is not the right answer..... :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
based on number, there should be 44. + 3 As = 47. minus former Lorongs 2 & 5 (cleared for KPE) = 45...

but i have a feeling 45 is not the right answer..... :biggrin:

Close but not close enough. Geylang begins with Lorong 1 at Kallang-Upper Boon Keng junction and ends with Lorong 42 at Payar Lebar, beyond which is called Geylang Serai and from where the Changi Milestones start counting. By the way, there was another bloodbath at Lorong 11 two nights ago. :eek:

Last edited:

optimusprime

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know much about these old Chinese street names, but agree that this thread is interesting. Let me put in my two cents worth for English street names. Queen Street is mentioned here as Small Town 3rd Street and Victoria Street as Small Town 2nd Street. Then there's Queenstown which is quite far away from Queen Street. They weren't named after the same queen. Queen Street was named after Queen Victoria and Queenstown was named after Queen Elizabeth II.

Yes those are the true 100% authentic traditional Singaporean street names, not some Lim King Cunt street or whatever nonsense the Chinese coolies come up with. Herbal Tea St is right up their alley.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My sec school used to send many of us there to watch inter zone b-ball tornaments.

The basketball stadium looked kind of epic. Reminds me of the muay thai stadium in lumpini park in bkk.

Now i cannot even recall which part of geylang the basketball stadium used to be but you told me it's expressway so it should be near nicoill high way area.