• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traditional Singapore Street Names

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about :

1. Tau Foo Gai - Bean curd street. I think it was Upper cross street (now no more)
2. Hoi San Gai - New Sea Street. Was Upp or just Chin Chew St. (now no more).
3. Say Yan Gai - Dead Men's street. Sago Lane.

Before People's Park there was Pearl's Hill Night Market, which was burnt down in a fire. It was mainly street vendors under tarpaulin canvas shelters. Like Bugis St now.

Yo!, you changing HIS STORY?? Upper Cross Street is still around, I have forgotten the Cantonese name for it & Upper Pickering Street Also. "tau foo gai" was between Upper Hokkien Street & Upper Cross Street, where Hong Lim Complex was. It puzzled me for many years why it was called "tau Foo gai" or Beancurd Street, where there was no congregation of Soya bean drinks or Beancurd sellers on that street. I asked an old wrinkled man, why it was called "tau foo gai", he told me, in the old days, men, went there to "more tau fu"...ha ha ha I said "oh"! get it? "more tau fu"...what us flat & silky between the woman's leg... "tau fu"..."Beancurd"!!

It was the old People's Park Shoppping Centre at where People's Park was, made of wood burnt down!! Hoi San is not "New Sea"... Say Yan gai, was where the funeral parlours was in the past..Sago Lane!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng feeling nostalgic to all those good old days liao. :( govt should bring them back again mah.

Ovaltine was replaced by LAM SOON OIL or was it sopa? A man with a hammer, knocking an anvil, later came Abdullah & craven 69 was it 69?

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng still remembers that good old Cathay Cinema and those shops around there - got 1 sarabat stall selling roti prata, teh tarik, curry puffs, etc... excellent sedup sia. also got 1 aquarium shop selling fighting fish and other fishes eg angel fish, goldfish, etc...:biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
lianbeng still remembers that good old Cathay Cinema and those shops around there - got 1 sarabat stall selling roti prata, teh tarik, curry puffs, etc... excellent sedup sia. also got 1 aquarium shop selling fighting fish and other fishes eg angel fish, goldfish, etc...:biggrin:

Microsoft oso leemember last time got those roofless cinema...7,9 n midnite can b 3 diff show...Microsoft n kaki ar ka leow with ursher...pay 50 cent can watch 3 show...:biggrin::biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, bro..memory not so strong and I was then only a street urchin no more than 5 years old! I relied on recollections of what my parents and grandparent said of those days. If you are definitely sure, I have to defer to you!

Yo!, you changing HIS STORY?? Upper Cross Street is still around, I have forgotten the Cantonese name for it & Upper Pickering Street Also. "tau foo gai" was between Upper Hokkien Street & Upper Cross Street, where Hong Lim Complex was. It puzzled me for many years why it was called "tau Foo gai" or Beancurd Street, where there was no congregation of Soya bean drinks or Beancurd sellers on that street. I asked an old wrinkled man, why it was called "tau foo gai", he told me, in the old days, men, went there to "more tau fu"...ha ha ha I said "oh"! get it? "more tau fu"...what us flat & silky between the woman's leg... "tau fu"..."Beancurd"!!

It was the old People's Park Shoppping Centre at where People's Park was, made of wood burnt down!! Hoi San is not "New Sea"... Say Yan gai, was where the funeral parlours was in the past..Sago Lane!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Microsoft oso leemember last time got those roofless cinema...7,9 n midnite can b 3 diff show...Microsoft n kaki ar ka leow with ursher...pay 50 cent can watch 3 show...:biggrin::biggrin:

Roofless cinema the last I went to was in holland road....must bring own umbrella.
There was another called zenith around hougang

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah... SG streets can talk until 7 pages..... dun even have 1 chiobu picture here, what you all talking about har? LOL

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
lianbeng rebuts ramseth, "lucky u never ended up at see pai por aka seepoy lane at that time.":rolleyes:
Seepoy Lane refers to that small little lane where the mortuary once faced the main Outram Road now hiding behind that HSA building liao.
in those days, when u r referred to see pai por, it meant u r going there to die lor.:biggrin:

Or people also call it in Hokkien "Phua-Pak-Keng" literally open stomach place. A very bad way to call it but that's the way.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Roofless cinema the last I went to was in holland road....must bring own umbrella.
There was another called zenith around hougang

Hmm...Holland road...i might hab met u b4 back den...:biggrin::biggrin: Think there was 1 at dover road and another near hong kah...not sure leow...sooo long ago...almost impossible 2 find any photo of de place...Lido n Capitol still got...

Lido_Cinema_Singapore.JPG

shawbroflicks63.JPG

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
My sec school used to send many of us there to watch inter zone b-ball tornaments.

The basketball stadium looked kind of epic. Reminds me of the muay thai stadium in lumpini park in bkk.

Now i cannot even recall which part of geylang the basketball stadium used to be but you told me it's expressway so it should be near nicoill high way area.

I remembered when young went to this stadium watch the Harlem Globetrotters.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

My first fast food experience before McDonald came to Singapore was going to the A&W beside Cathay Cinema and yes there is an aquarium shop was it call Red Sea or something like that?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Got lah - all Bukits are higher land,or small hills - the original Malay name. Bukit Merah and adjacent Bukit Ho Swee are relatively small hillocks made of sandstone and appeared dusty and red in colour. Around the hills were squatter colonies of congested attap and zinc houses. The hilltops were relatively bare - that accounted for the red colour surface. Pigs used to roam and shit all over the place. Of course, the great Bt Ho Swee fires cleared off the colonies - and with it went the most notorious gangsters of Bt Ho Swee! Even after the fires, the remnants of gangs used to hide their parangs in our small gardens.

I grew up in ABC (Brickwork Estate) and because Redhill is nearby I use to hear people telling me that the name Redhill is because there is a red brick factory at a small hill there.

Anyway ABC is used because of the ABC Stout factory there. When ABC estate was redeveloped, we had to move to Commonwealth Avenue, they call that place Boh-Bay-Gang (no tail canal) because the canal behind my flat end abruptly. Those who can remember also know that the place is call "Koh-Chia-Tune" or "Ah-Low-V" (hokkien for ROV) because of the driving test centre there in the past.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Holy fuck what year was that?

Globetrotters might not play competitive nba style b-ball but they are entertaining to watch.

Let's say when I was about 10-12 still in primary school. That's about 33-35 years ago.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hoi San Gai - I think is "sea hill street" where china square is. There was a day wet market along that street where snakes and reptiles were skinned.

What about :

1. Tau Foo Gai - Bean curd street. I think it was Upper cross street (now no more)
2. Hoi San Gai - New Sea Street. Was Upp or just Chin Chew St. (now no more).
3. Say Yan Gai - Dead Men's street. Sago Lane.

Before People's Park there was Pearl's Hill Night Market, which was burnt down in a fire. It was mainly street vendors under tarpaulin canvas shelters. Like Bugis St now.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
My first fast food experience before McDonald came to Singapore was going to the A&W beside Cathay Cinema and yes there is an aquarium shop was it call Red Sea or something like that?
Precisely, "Red Sea" was there selling fresh-water n marine ornamental fishes at tat time! There was 1 more shop bside it, tink was called "Green Sea"...Gd ole days!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My first fast food experience before McDonald came to Singapore was going to the A&W beside Cathay Cinema and yes there is an aquarium shop was it call Red Sea or something like that?[/QUOTE

Yes, Red Sea Acquarium. I remember that stretch.

mikec

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Precisely, "Red Sea" was there selling fresh-water n marine ornamental fishes at tat time! There was 1 more shop bside it, tink was called "Green Sea"...Gd ole days!

Don't know about Green sea

Last edited: