• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Without PAP there is no Singapore today!!

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent piece of common sense suteerak1099...that was what i was saying and what the thread title suggests..... the old guards did they part and should be given credit for it.. hence i dont understand why people here are bashing LKY off.... slate off the young guns for all i care....:biggrin:
every1 has his turn to shine, as much as the old-man deserves credentials for efforts passed... we should also be familiar with the term: 长江后浪推前浪

the younger ones should also be given a chance to shine, bt of cos already proven, the junior hasnt really been winning our favors. n so the old man says, the opposition needs to step up n become "govt in waiting"

i guess perhaps more n more have come to terms with: 前浪死在沙滩上

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
the younger lots are already in control for a while now.. that is why people are comparing them and saying that they are not as good as their predecessor.. it is not the case of 'the younger ones are not given a chance to shine' they were... and alot of people are not impressed.

as for your other points..... i dont really understand what you are trying to say....:confused:

every1 has his turn to shine, as much as the old-man deserves credentials for efforts passed... we should also be familiar with the term: 长江后浪推前浪

the younger ones should also be given a chance to shine, bt of cos already proven, the junior hasnt really been winning our favors. n so the old man says, the opposition needs to step up n become "govt in waiting"

i guess perhaps more n more have come to terms with: 前浪死在沙滩上

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
wat i'm trying to say is... if junior isnt doing a good, job, then pehaps its time to play musical chairs n let others have a chance to prove their worth. if we witness that junior is doing more damage than good, then its high time to pull the plug n do some damage control. cos if remedy doesnt come in haste, its gonna be a bigger pile of mess to clear.

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does one say that this younger batch of PAP ministers are not as good as those of the past? The challenges facing them are totally different.
I personally find that the best yardstick we have to date was SARS, and I must say they passed with flying colors.
Of course, how good this batch of PAP Ministers and MP's are is a subject that will be best left to historians to decide sometime in the far flung future. But as it is, our Nation has managed to handle SARS, hyper inflation (compared to our neighbors), terrorist threats (kudos to the Home team despite Mas Selamat escaping!), a slowing Global economy, and keeping our economy moving all over the past 8 years since the Millenium. I am sure we must acknowledge this fact.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1) SARS - 2002/3/4 - under the excellent leadership of PM Goh

(2) We don't live on historians' salaries

(3) Actual facts on hyperinflation can sweep away sweeping statements. Also facts can help us to see if these facts reflect our own inflationary experience.

linnaohia1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Defintely true that without PAP, we will not be what we are today, but I doubt it will be much different. If the WP or SDP was around, I think they would have done just a good job or thereabout ..... however, opposition parties being opposition parties, to overthrow a ruling party have to come out with different things to differentiate themselves from ruling party ... this is the problem ... we see many oversea's politicians promising the voters this and that (eg, lower taxes) just to get the votes. However, once vote get liao, they later say bcos of circumstances change, cannot lower but raise ... never believe outright what politicians say, think for yourself whether feasible or not ... and never believe what others say, think for yourself ...

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, the sad fact about some or/majority of the voters in sg.... they forget to study the menefestos presented by the oppsitions. the subconscious minds also forget to consider the feasibility of menefestos presented by the ruling party. ie:

in the last GE, alot of promises were also presented by the ruling party. some of which were clearcut n easily accomplished. while, there were a long list of other promises about developments, upgradings & long-term projections.... bt voters forget that those mega scale projects take eons to happen. n ppl tend to 4get that projects need $ to make happen, n eventually, who's paying for it.

subconscious minds r telling themselves, w/o the old man, sg wouldnt have been sg today. well, credit to him, big round of applause, salute & pray to him if 1 feels applicable, bt who's the 1 who'd be taking us thru the next lap? will he still be around in another 2 decades?

now, only approx 3 yrs till the next GE, look at wat's happened? promises have to be put on hold. for 1 very obvious reason.... rulling party or opposition the same. nobody can ever forecast a crisis. for if it were so... he/she/they should b renamed as prophets.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well, the sad fact about some or/majority of the voters in sg.... they forget to study the menefestos presented by the oppsitions. the subconscious minds also forget to consider the feasibility of menefestos presented by the ruling party. ie:

in the last GE, alot of promises were also presented by the ruling party. some of which were clearcut n easily accomplished. while, there were a long list of other promises about developments, upgradings & long-term projections.... bt voters forget that those mega scale projects take eons to happen. n ppl tend to 4get that projects need $ to make happen, n eventually, who's paying for it.

If I recall correctly, Desmond Lim of SPP adopted PAP manifesto as SPP manifesto. He wanted to be PAP manifesto quantity surveyor.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I recall correctly, Desmond Lim of SPP adopted PAP manifesto as SPP manifesto. He wanted to be PAP manifesto quantity surveyor.
LOL... that's a nice one... manifesto is supposed to be conceived n penned by the party or committee, as it forms their backbone n basis of running against the ruling party... reason to be heard by the ppl, for voters discernment to poll in their favor.

your joke of the fella wanting to be manifesto QS is quite a tickler...

hbk75

Alfrescian
Loyal
I learn that PAP win 43 seat out of 51 parliament seat in 1963.

Singapore start grow with the leader ship of Mr.Lee start from 1965.

Singapore is fully independent from 9 Aug 1965 lead by PAP.

Without the leadership of Mr.Lee and PAP members Singapore will be just a small fishing village.

I do not understand why some Singaporean do not recognize the fact?

By the way, I am not local Singaporean.
This is what i think and please contribute your views ..:p

may i know where are u from?

dannyboynow

What a naive conclusion.

The fact of the matter is;

Without Singaporeans, there will be no PAP today.
With more FTs, there will be NO Singaporeans Tomorow.

Happy ChinDiaPore Day on the 9th Aug.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is why i never understand the LKY basher.. to me LKY is GOD. Great character, Great leadership. if anyone has any sense and bothers to read up asia history,South east Asia in particular. He will understand why LKY did some of the unpopular things he did.:wink:

God he is NOT. No doubt he had been instrumental in the formation of modern Singapore, but sometimes we do wish he should try to leave behind a better legacy.

Those who consider him God simply missed the bigger picture.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Without the leadership of Mr.Lee and PAP members Singapore will be just a small fishing village.

I do not understand why some Singaporean do not recognize the fact?

By the way, I am not local Singaporean.
This is what i think and please contribute your views ..:p

hmmm sorry foreign trash views counts for nothing...

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore no longer just a fishing village long before PAP start running this country.

Last edited:

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was the British who made Singapore the administrative capital of the British Empire in this part of the world that gave her the headstart.

Singapore then took advantage of the headstart to arbitrage on the inefficiencies of its neighbours.

The British ruled for almost 1.5 century from 1819 till 1963 * and developed Singapore from a fishing village into a commercial hub. A few years after Singapore's independence and the PAP already started to claim credit for developing her into the 4th busiest port in the world. But we know entreport trade was built on our neighbours' backwardness. Rubber, rice, pineapple, timber, tin, etc. were sent by huge lorries and boats to Singapore.

Without the legal system in place, Singapore could not have thrived. Without the school system, the PAP Ministers could not have received their education. Without the seaport, it would not have been possible for some to have gone to England to study. Without the bridges (built by the British engineers), it was not possible to cycle from North Bridge Road to South Bridge Road or walk from Geylang to Kallang. Without the civil service, it would have been difficult to administer. Without the 1961 and 1962 Water Agreement, Singapore could not have enjoyed constant water supply and at dirt cheap price of 3 sen.

It is ridiculous to imply/suggest Singapore popped out of a barren rock overnight in 1965. I heard the story about popping out once only in the 'Sun Wu Kung' folklore.

* notwithstanding the Japanese Occupation and a few years of self-governing in some functions

S

seehappy

It is a blessing that we are given good education, no hunger, no war and no natural disaster.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
i choose to think, looking at the quality of the PAP...and what the opposition has to offer, 66% can't be wrong

JWNY

The oppositions have come to this sorrowful state due to PAP's depoliticization of s'pore society through the use of ISA in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and the compliant courts from 1990s onwards to silence, remove or intimidate political opponents, to the extent of stunting the growth of all other political parties other than the PAP.

The political choice for the electorate is a Hobson's choice. The jobs of PAP ministers are among the most stable in the world.