• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Without PAP there is no Singapore today!!

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
In time of peace and prosperity, more talk less work. In times of hardships, vice versa. Maybe we all need to suffer big time to learn and appreciate what we have now.

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those think PAP remained the best choice, let's wait until the day ur life is taken "care off" by foreigner invasion both jobs and living. By then, I trust you all will sing different tone.

If you are business people, ur choice of current govt suits you well, but if you are employee, again... it will be different tune.

Oh wait, one important thing, soon ur business will be squeeze with more big player - foreign investors unless ur business are one of the key market player otherwise be prepare to wrap ur business soon and move to somewhere like in China.

So long we are Singaporean, be it businessman/woman/employer/employee can never dream swiss standard living, it has been designed for foreign investor, and the future job are also not design/cater for singaporean.

Before u suggest about taking lower pay in parallel with the foreigner salary, please think it over the differences.

If we dont let the opposition to be in the parliament, how can they (opposition) show what they think best for singaporean although may not be perfect but surely the high living, Minister salary, govt transparency will be expose and take well in balance to ensure public fund are not abuse and proper audit committee are form as independantly to monitor govt spending.

Do the opposition need to tell you what is in their mind first before able to be in the parliament?

Give you an example: 1. Would you tell ur customer ur cooking secret recipe?
2. Would you disclose ur war strategy to ur enemy first
before attacking?

Do we make good use of our brain???

Last edited:

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our PAP cares more about money than people ! It is PAP Holdings now ! Even doing business in our own country is hard cos our largest competitor is our own government ! Try thinking of a bussiness that our goverment is not involve or not related! Hmm... maybe only casket bussiness i think .... Let me see : PAP > GIC > Temasek > NTUC , ST , SFI , ..........Etc. NNKC !!! Maybe we got the largest Pyramid organization in the world !

Last edited:

1tigerboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got PAP still good, but got more opposition in maybe good also.

Example: 1 GRC is opposition (Start with A), with Porto pasir, hougang(worker party)

maybe, GST wouldnt increase to 7%...

One party may be great but not good for us...

GST increase, they say must increase... must increase we cannot say anything, if we did so what will happen to us.... ?????

you dare to say or protest ??? me dont dare lol...

KannyTong

During the early days of PAP, LKY and gang weren't paid million dollar salaries to propel Singapore into a "1st world country". Most of his ministers then were local educated, average middle-class Singaporeans supported by a very average civil service. But they still managed to raise the standard of living and put Singapore on the world map. PAP were able to succeed in the past because of the people's support and the leaders' genuine wills and passion to make Singapore a success.

Now.. most of the PAP leaders are given million dollar scholarships, chosen from the smartest singaporeans, given million dollar salaries and have the brightest singaporeans working in the civil service. But have they achieved more in the last 10 years compared to their first 10 years when they came into power? It's easy to see that they have lost the sincerity, passion and heart to serve the people, but all they want is to perpetuate their power and control Singapore as long as they can. Otherwise, why the need for defamation lawsuits and multi-million dollar salaries?

Perhaps it's time to let a new wave of leaders who have the passion and understand the population's need and concerns to bring Singapore to the next level. Leaders that don't neccessarily have to be paid million dollar salaries or given elite scholarships for an overseas education. A new party that resembles the old PAP of the 1960s.. A party who worked truly for Singaporeans.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
During the early days of PAP, LKY and gang weren't paid million dollar salaries to propel Singapore into a "1st world country". Most of his ministers then were local educated, average middle-class Singaporeans supported by a very average civil service. But they still managed to raise the standard of living and put Singapore on the world map. PAP were able to succeed in the past because of the people's support and the leaders' genuine wills and passion to make Singapore a success.

Now.. most of the PAP leaders are given million dollar scholarships, chosen from the smartest singaporeans, given million dollar salaries and have the brightest singaporeans working in the civil service. But have they achieved more in the last 10 years compared to their first 10 years when they came into power? It's easy to see that they have lost the sincerity, passion and heart to serve the people, but all they want is to perpetuate their power and control Singapore as long as they can. Otherwise, why the need for defamation lawsuits and multi-million dollar salaries?

Perhaps it's time to let a new wave of leaders who have the passion and understand the population's need and concerns to bring Singapore to the next level. Leaders that don't neccessarily have to be paid million dollar salaries or given elite scholarships for an overseas education. A new party that resembles the old PAP of the 1960s.. A party who worked truly for Singaporeans.

In my opinion, there is one essential difference between PM LKY and his team compared to the present team.

For PM LKY, there was fire in his belly, a compelling vision and a desire to do something that was of great significance. Even today, MM Lee does not forget his former passion when he spoke against the human rights detractors when he asked if they know what it is like to build a nation, to feed the people. If you look at his record, you will know the way he had gone around it, building homes for more than 90% of the population, taking accountability for the cleanness of his organization and setting a personal example in all things including even the way the trees were planted (anecdotal story).

About the present team - it will be good if they can demonstrate that sort of purity, vision and commitment to singaporeans. Because that will bring the gratitude now reserved for MM Lee.

Last edited:

Boss_555

Alfrescian
Loyal
PPL are holding to the statement above... That is why we suffer in silents now lor... Yes we must be thank MM Lee for all that he had done... But haven't we Singaporeans given him our outward respect enough....

Today's govt is to tai the people as much as they can to build up the coffer...

Govt. will make sure the opp cannot make it go for election and put all the cream to fight ... Looking at the GRC method you can tell the opposition got little or no chance.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's nothing wrong with being in control, and at the same time being evolution to the country. The issue here is when you become too big headed for your own good, you start to fear loss of control and power. Hence you will start to impose regulations which, in your opinion, is good, but is in actual fact, not beneficial to the masses.

This is the crux of the whole political scene in SG. It's good to have opposition, but it also depends on the direction of the opposition, and their mantra. If they are sitting ducks, without voicing out their displeasure, it will give the public a very negative view on them.

My opinion is that, the govt, be it PAP or the opposition, should consult and listen to the ground. Afterall, they may be the ones who bring in job and work, but the gound are the ones who pushes the economy. Think about it. All the policies, but nobody to execute, is as good as a white elephant.

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The quality of the PAP led government is undeniably excellent when we compare them to those of our neighbors. Whichever cohort - LKY time, GCT time and now LSL time.

As far as I am concerned, even today, when the World is gripped by inflation, - from 1st World nations (USA, Europe) to our neighbors (Malaysia and Indonesia - who have oil), Singapore having zero resources(no oil, no steel, no copper, no water, no rice etc.); has performed remarkably well in comparison to the others.

As for the quality of the opposition, sad to say - there isn't any alternatives for us cos our opposition cannot give us credible alternatives - look at Chee Soon Juan - he is KPKB about rising costs but he does not offer any plans - this video someone forwarded to me is hilarious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TATHGG0AptE

But still, ERP pisses me off to no end!

Last edited:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I learn that PAP win 43 seat out of 51 parliament seat in 1963.

Singapore start grow with the leader ship of Mr.Lee start from 1965.

Singapore is fully independent from 9 Aug 1965 lead by PAP.

Without the leadership of Mr.Lee and PAP members Singapore will be just a small fishing village.

I do not understand why some Singaporean do not recognize the fact?

By the way, I am not local Singaporean.
This is what i think and please contribute your views ..:p
dear TS, i think u might wanna re-read the context over again, to see if it is indeed 100% credit to the party. history books as always overrate the few fellas who were in the limelight, doing the most talk... bt hardly seen walking the walk.

let me refresh your memory a little. in the 60's it wasnt sg that gained independence altogether.
1. the british pulled outta sg, returned this island to m'sia.
2. the sultan at the time saw no prospect in this island, n saw some hot air in our early leaders.... n the msian alliance kicked us out. we were expelled from the msian alliance.
3. at that period in time, the political scene in sg was very small... parties made up of a handful of young hearty fellas... 2 strong poles at that time, bt the general population at that time, saw skin color as the determining factor. (racial disputes was a common as we see dogs fight cats/ vice versa)... n for obvious reasons, given the majority of populace in those days - it was a windfall for the men in white.

i have to correct your notion n would rather u rephrase it as "sg wouldnt be sg, if it werent for the sgporeans"

reason, in the early days times were tough, everybody rich n poor bit the bullet day by day, as if they were biting kuajii (melon seeds). had it been any other political party... we would still arrive to where we r today. simply cos, the population made it happen.

bottomline, as it applies in any other nation, dating as far back as the early civilization till this day... its the ppl that makes the nation... not the govt

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
100 yrs ago, all the surrounding countries/states such as mynmar, melaka, penang , vietnam were more advanced than s'pore.

100 yrs on, s'pore has become 1st world and the rest hasnt progressed as much. its thanks to the government that we got food to eat, housing to live in, clean water, can hire maids. can you imagine if our women had to go to other countries to become maids? how would they be treated?

some other political party might have done a better job but we wouldnt know. as far as i am concerned, PAP has done well enough.
sg was modernized bcos the brits did some solid foundation to make this island flourish, as opposed to other westerners who merely plundered from the neighboring countries they colonized in those days.

if pap was to become govt of any of our neighboring countries... there's very little to speculate if they could patch up the pieces, as swift as they did compared to this lil semi-developing/growing island.

further to add, its always easier to clean up a small shed, compared to a mansion - with similar manpower/resources.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you. 43yrs old now...still got many yrs to go on.
I hope after 100yrs still the same as now.
in 100yrs..??? history will repeat itself again... the ppl of this island r very likely to be 1st or 2nd or maybe 3rd generation migrants once more.

while the existing sgporeans would probably be outbred (due to declined birth-rates + self imposed "stop at 1 or 2" policies) by new settlers, or if not, extinct in due time.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is why i never understand the LKY basher.. to me LKY is GOD. Great character, Great leadership. if anyone has any sense and bothers to read up asia history,South east Asia in particular. He will understand why LKY did some of the unpopular things he did.:wink:
nobody is perfect, every ruler in history had imposed some things that infuriated the ppl. the only difference is how far did they anger the ppl, n how much threshold did the ppl have to stomach the treachery.

the early emperor of the han dynasty was the 1st to initiate a bulwark + defensive wall to keep the mongols out. bt due to technological limitations then, the wall never stood long enough

then some musical chair took place, n finally, a man who was inspired by the idea... enforced that the rich/nobles to finance the development, made slaves out of soldiers n peasants to erect 1 of the world's longest n largest wonder, just to keep the mongols out of their backyard. all the generations of slavery... only to make 1 statement to the mongols "sorry no entry"

after all that yrs n generation of torment... the manchus came in from the north to remove the egotistic seat warmer. n the manchus say thanks for building the nice sturdy wall.

so, was that a miscalculation? was it lack of foresight... or was it ego of 1 man, to be blamed?

at the end of the day, we need to ask ourselves, was all the sacrifice n effort worth it?

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
its not easy to be a politician, minimum the person's got to be some CEO or big director of some company and has experience in dealing with thousands of staff. with this type of credentials, he would be also earning a big sum of money, if he wants to be a politician he would want to join the PAP and not the opposition.

the calibre of the current opposition is simply not good enough.
c'mon... dun gimme that crap. when LKY stepped up for candidacy... he was just an average joe - just as u n i...

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal

back then didnt earn as much, bt today... we're not sure if he has a share in all the things/infrastructure established. n they make becoming part of board of directors so easy.

under normal circumstances, for 1 to qualify to be part of board of directors, he qualifies himself via buying & having stakes in the organization... either that, he must be among the directors who established the organization from scratch.

nobody can just walk in, sit down n say "hello, u all play monopoly ah? i wanna join in can?"

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
under normal circumstances, for 1 to qualify to be part of board of directors, he qualifies himself via buying & having stakes in the organization... either that, he must be among the directors who established the organization from scratch.

nobody can just walk in, sit down n say "hello, u all play monopoly ah? i wanna join in can?"

I think you are greatly mistaken on this point. Corporations and businesses can appoint Independent Directors and Non-Executive Directors to the board (especially listed companies) to ensure that the Executive Directors (mostly founding and/or working Directors) work hard and keep within the boundaries of the law, hold high moral grounds so that minority shareholders get the maximum benefit. I know for a fact that some large Privately owned companies also have Independent Directors - but all listed companies must have Independent Directors who are people of high moral and economic standing.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are greatly mistaken on this point. Corporations and businesses can appoint Independent Directors and Non-Executive Directors to the board (especially listed companies) to ensure that the Executive Directors (mostly founding and/or working Directors) work hard and keep within the boundaries of the law, hold high moral grounds so that minority shareholders get the maximum benefit. I know for a fact that some large Privately owned companies also have Independent Directors - but all listed companies must have Independent Directors who are people of high moral and economic standing.
Wins88, good stuff you have! No offense, but please enlighten me. Are there insufficient people on this island that hold high moral & economic standings? So much so that the need arises to enlist policians? Does that also constitute as conflict of interest, in cases where the industries are linked or co-related?

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wins88, good stuff you have! No offense, but please enlighten me. Are there insufficient people on this island that hold high moral & economic standings? So much so that the need arises to enlist policians? Does that also constitute as conflict of interest, in cases where the industries are linked or co-related?

Take a look at the stock exchange page of the Straits TImes and count the number of companies listed on the SGX today. It numbers into e hundreds. If you were going to invest your money into a listed company - I am sure you would want the independent directors to be a)honest, b) business savvy, c) financially independent, d) really smart. Hence, some PAP MP's sit on board of Directors, but also - many do not. Anyway, most listed companies Directors (Executive or Independent) are mostly senior lawyers, senior accountants, or bankers - NOT MP's! FYI - Ministers do not sit on any board of directors - except for those 100% owned by the Singaporean citizen (Temasek, GIC etc..). Lets face it, MP's all have day jobs too so being on a Board of Directors does not conflict with their duties as MP's since MP's do not formulate policies. Independent Directors are normally nominated by the company and serve terms of 2 to 5 years and come up for re-election to the board - which the shareholding public also puts in their inputs in a vote. Hope this helps!

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the heads up, but i still think its not necessary for public figures to be on those boards. besides listed companies, there're also other organizations. we should have noticed by now, that even if it wasnt a public figure involved, some1 related be it bloodlines or spouse may also be involved directly or indirectly.

if there was total transparency to begin with, there wouldnt be so much doubt following suit too. agree?