• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What kind of opposition do we want to elect?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok Guys

GE is coming, but i m sure this is a topic which PAP would wnat to bring up as well.

I m sure we all have diofferent opinion on what kind of MPs we wnat to see in our parliment, and in this case, what kind of opposition MPs should we have to elect into our parliment to look after the interest of all Singaporeans.

So lets discuss this and no cursing around please.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me,any one who has some basic knowledge can be MP,but should not be PAP.

An example is Mr Goh Meng Seng,I do not think highly of him at all,but he can be my MP

Of course I work on the assumption that PAP stays in power this round,next round,that would be a different story!

It is safe,the force against PAP is not strong enough

Pl do not believe in LKY's rubbish of "mandate fr heaven",that is exactly for his and his family's selfish interest, any one can be MP so long as we, the citizens retain the right to hire and fire them

Last edited:

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
for me...no need to most clever, handsome, wealthy or eloquent.....just someone who is humble, hardworking, sincere, willing to help resident etc etc..... certainly not someone who is condescending, lazy, haolian, insincere abt helpin resident but only wanto talk big ....like goh meng seng...:mad::oIo:

Ilovelamb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want opposition members with proven track records, have a successful business or career that proves he can run a organisation well, able to give a fair and balance assessment on real ground situation,not 1 sided and over blown small issue for its political gains. He or she must also perform better than the PAPs once elected, bonus will be he or she have charisma, articulate and communicate well to the public with the ideas.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Transcripts from BBC's hardtalk where coffin-faced Goh kena tekan:

Mr Sebastian: "I come back to the point that you need to trust your people, don't you, if you expect them to trust you. Don't you need to trust them with more information about what is going on?"

Mr Goh: "Not a problem, not a problem. I agree with the point. You have to trust the people for them to trust you because trust has got to be mutual. So that's not a problem but if you're talking about…"

Mr Sebastian: "Who's the servant here, who's the servant and who's the master?"

Mr Goh: "We have no servants and have no masters, we work together."

Mr Sebastian: "No, no, in a democracy, the government is supposed to be the servant. This is public service you're in, isn't it? You don't own the country."

Mr Goh: "No, we work on the basis that we are equal. We don't own the country, I agree. I regard myself as a trustee of the people. So..."

Mr Sebastian: "So, you're the servant, then?"

Mr Goh: "If you want to put it that way, but I prefer the word trustee."

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's begin with someone who's willing to accept that taking care of the ward is an integral part of MP duty. History has shown, in Singapore's context where PAP power in government is unchallenged, very few vote for opposition because they think opposition can go into Parliament and change PAP policies that they don't like. They'd like a few voices in Parliament to vent, check or moderate, that's all.

Crucial factor in deciding to vote for an opposition candidate is dissatisfaction and distancing from their PAP incumbents who got too complacent, aloof or busy with other things. What's the use of having a government MP like that? Might as well try on an opposition MP who may care more and be on the ground and on the job more.

JBJ, CST and LTK succeeded at winning and succeeded in retaining their seats because they understood that. Even in days before MP presiding over TC, JBJ set up an MP office at 145 Silat and was there practically every night whenever he was free after his legal works with his Chinese supporters and assistants who helped him translate for Chinese residents, that was above 90% in Anson. Yet, an Indian could win and kept winning. His outspokenness in Parliament won him nationwide admiration, but the votes in Anson were won by taking care of the residents there.

LHD and CCC won once each too, then lost back. The reasons were the same. They won because they were at the right place at the right time when their voters were dissatisfied with haute and lofty PAP incumbents (i.e. Seet Ai Mee and Ng Pock Too). They lost back because they took the ticket to Parliament for granted and didn't take care of their wards. CST and LTK took care of their wards and kept winning. Besides hands-on on TC affairs, set up constituency committees to look into residents' needs, concerns, problems and organise events for them regularly.

A politician must know that a political base is required and needs to be taken care of, not merely looked after as an inconvenient necessity for a ticket to Parliament to voice out theories and philosophies for self-satisfaction and aggrandisement.

Last edited:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want opposition members with proven track records, have a successful business or career that proves he can run a organisation well, able to give a fair and balance assessment on real ground situation,not 1 sided and over blown small issue for its political gains. He or she must also perform better than the PAPs once elected, bonus will be he or she have charisma, articulate and communicate well to the public with the ideas.

Really, did you check up your PAP MPs when you vote for them? Do you even know the names of your PAP MPs????

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
A politician must know that a political base is required and needs to be taken care of, not merely looked after as an inconvenient necessity for a ticket to Parliament to voice out theories and philosophies for self-satisfaction and aggrandisement.

BRAVO BRAVO!!

images

jw5

Loyal
Someone who

1. Has the best interests of Singapore and the citizens of Singapore at heart.
2. Is able and willing to speak up and take the appropriate action when government policies or actions are unfair to the majority or a large segment of Singaporeans.
3. Listens to and tries to help as many of his constituents as possible.
4. Ensures that his ward is well taken care of and looked after. :biggrin:
5. Scrutinizes and makes sensible comments on laws to benefit the lives of Singaporeans. Proposes amendments or even news laws wherever appropriate.
6. Respects all voters and citizens, but is beholden to and ingratiates with no one.
7. Tries his best always to make lives better for Singaporeans and make Singapore better.

Last edited:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone who

1. Has the best interests of Singapore and the citizens of Singapore at heart.
2. Is able and willing to speak up and take the appropriate action when government policies or actions are unfair to the majority or a large segment of Singaporeans.
3. Listens to and tries to help as many of his constituents as possible.
4. Ensures that his ward is well taken care of and looked after. :biggrin:
5. Scrutinizes and makes sensible comments on laws to benefit the lives of Singaporeans. Proposes amendments or even news laws wherever appropriate.
6. Respects all voters and citizens, but is beholden to and ingratiates with no one.
7. Tries his best always to make lives better for Singaporeans and make Singapore better.

The first role of any MP around the world, not just in Singapore, is to take care of the welfare of his ward, those who voted him into office. If he or she cant manage his ward well, cant take care of his voters, cant keep the place in tidy and order, I dont see any reason why the national role of debating in parliment even matter.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The first role of any MP around the world, not just in Singapore, is to take care of the welfare of his ward, those who voted him into office. If he or she cant manage his ward well, cant take care of his voters, cant keep the place in tidy and order, I dont see any reason why the national role of debating in parliment even matter.

Tell that to your friend.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok Guys

GE is coming, but i m sure this is a topic which PAP would wnat to bring up as well.

I m sure we all have diofferent opinion on what kind of MPs we wnat to see in our parliment, and in this case, what kind of opposition MPs should we have to elect into our parliment to look after the interest of all Singaporeans.

So lets discuss this and no cursing around please.

The topic is immaterial to me. What I want is diverse representation foremost.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want an opposition that gets me erected each time they open their mouths. Erected mentally.

Yes open their mouth to speak for sinkies and not their masters. If mentally means to conscientious fight for the well being and interest of the constituents, then I agree with you.

At present in parleement, we have yesmen from one dictatorial party serving blindly their self-interest, not the people's interest. This must change as they dun dare to speak up!

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
any Opposition is for me. Cos their plate is empty and clean.

even if they put a monkey there I will vote for it.

At the very least i know the monkey wont bite the hand that feeds it. btw monkeys is very cheap pay peanuts only :biggrin:

Even if use Woody's wife definition of peanuts $600,000 is still cheaper than $4mil for each of the chao cheebye PAP

2dhcgnt.jpg

Cant say the same for PAP. PAP i know their plate is full of shit. They are not working for singaporeans but themselves and FTrashs

654ufl.jpg

PAP plate

Balancemind

Alfrescian
Loyal
My vote goes to the Party that do not have on record of lossing our national reserves in billions and try to solve our population and economic problems through their famous FT policy.

DubLi

Alfrescian
Loyal
any Opposition is for me. Cos their plate is empty and clean.

even if they put a monkey there I will vote for it.

Cant say the same for PAP. PAP i know their plate is full of shit. They are not working for singaporeans but themselves and FTrashs

Yes anyone but the deceitful PAP. We are silly to continue voting PAP when all they do is to give us hardship and rules. Their bellies and plates are full, while people are out of jobs, empty and hungry.

jw5

Loyal
My list of 7 items are not in any particular order of importance or priority.

Were you confused over the differentiation between "taking care" and "looking after" as well?
I have tried my best to explain his differentiation in the thread "The Battle Of Tampines". If you have the chance, please tell him that more than 90% of voters won't understand or won't bother, they will simply be shocked by his statement that an MP's job is not to "take care of the ward".