• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What kind of opposition do we want to elect?

jw5

Loyal
The topic is immaterial to me. What I want is diverse representation foremost.
I have thought about this and now disagree with your view.

Let's say we do indeed get the diverse representation, say 10 elected opposition MPs.
But if they disappoint their supporters/electorate/middle-ground voters immensely, via their behaviour, actions, speech, lack of speech, lack of ideas and ideals, etc. Wouldn't that have a negative impact on future elections and even more diverse representation?

Perhaps this has in fact already happened.

It is actually someone like you who could have improved the chances of the opposition in future elections and enhance diverse representation. An ordinary guy with no baggage or personal axe to grind, unobjectionable character and personality (presumably), with good ideas and ideals about what real democracy and good governance should be in SG.

What a pity. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes open their mouth to speak for sinkies and not their masters. If mentally means to conscientious fight for the well being and interest of the constituents, then I agree with you.

At present in parleement, we have yesmen from one dictatorial party serving blindly their self-interest, not the people's interest. This must change as they dun dare to speak up!

You got my points, bro.

I found it amusing when Lily Neo made some comments highlighting the plight of her constituents. Everybody started praising her. In reality, isn't that her role? When the whole country went crazy coz Lily "áttacked'' her bosses, can it be more pathetic?

What were the other MIW doing? Ensuring the preservation of the status quo?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's say we do indeed get the diverse representation, say 10 elected opposition MPs.
But if they disappoint their supporters/electorate/middle-ground voters immensely, via their behaviour, actions, speech, lack of speech, lack of ideas and ideals, etc. Wouldn't that have a negative impact on future elections and even more diverse representation?

You won't go wrong having a diverse Parliament. Once this is achieved, the gap in quality and ability, your freedom to vote for any party without worrying about "freak" or dominance - all these will self-correct.

It is exactly because of this system that I cannot vote for the better candidate - I may have to vote for a worse candidate because the better candidate belongs to a party that holds nearly all the seats, making his role redundant (because there are 81 others of the same) and at the same time denying me of a choice.

To correct this, I have to start somewhere.

jw5

Loyal
You got my points, bro.

I found it amusing when Lily Neo made some comments highlighting the plight of her constituents. Everybody started praising her. In reality, isn't that her role? When the whole country went crazy coz Lily "áttacked'' her bosses, can it be more pathetic?

What were the other MIW doing? Ensuring the preservation of the status quo?
What Lily did/said was only the most basic thing that an MP should do/say, whether ruling party or opposition party MP.
Most of the others are only going through the motions when they ask questions or raise issues.
That's why I said that even though I object to some things that GMS says or does, I still have hope that he will be a better MP than at least 50% of the incumbents.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
110hq8k.jpg

jw5

Loyal
You won't go wrong having a diverse Parliament. Once this is achieved, the gap in quality and ability, your freedom to vote for any party without worrying about "freak" or dominance - all these will self-correct.

It is exactly because of this system that I cannot vote for the better candidate - I may have to vote for a worse candidate because the better candidate belongs to a party that holds nearly all the seats, making his role redundant (because there are 81 others of the same) and at the same time denying me of a choice.

To correct this, I have to start somewhere.
Having a diverse parliament is fine. So is voting for the "worse" candidate (not "worst").
My point is that in wanting to have a diverse parliament and even when choosing the "worse" candidate, the candidate has to have certain qualities and be a certain "type" of person. My hope is of course that he would have most of the 7 qualities I listed. They are not in order of importance or priority, but number 1 is essential.

You should consider running :smile: .................................again :biggrin: :biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having a diverse parliament is fine. So is voting for the "worse" candidate (not "worst").
My point is that in wanting to have a diverse parliament and even when choosing the "worse" candidate, the candidate has to have certain qualities and be a certain "type" of person. My hope is of course that he would have most of the 7 qualities I listed. They are not in order of importance or priority, but number 1 is essential.

You should consider running :smile: .................................again :biggrin: :biggrin:

Fair enough, but I often do wonder how many of such people with such qualities would emerge when they get shunned again and again.

It's the same concept. People keep shunning the opposition, such qualities in the opposition would similarly keep shunning the people :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether you know me (well enough or mistake me as another person) or that I know you (in person) but thanks a lot - but in any case, I'm no longer holding any party affiliation and independent is out.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ok Guys

GE is coming, but i m sure this is a topic which PAP would wnat to bring up as well.

I m sure we all have diofferent opinion on what kind of MPs we wnat to see in our parliment, and in this case, what kind of opposition MPs should we have to elect into our parliment to look after the interest of all Singaporeans.

So lets discuss this and no cursing around please.

Who gives a fuck what PAP is going to bring up!!!!

Confirm is a sinkie MP, what kind of people do you have in your country, only sinkies.

jw5

Loyal
Fair enough, but I often do wonder how many of such people with such qualities would emerge when they get shunned again and again.

It's the same concept. People keep shunning the opposition, such qualities in the opposition would similarly keep shunning the people :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether you know me (well enough or mistake me as another person) or that I know you (in person) but thanks a lot - but in any case, I'm no longer holding any party affiliation and independent is out.
Pretty sure (99%) that we don't know each other personally, but also quite sure (75%) that I know who you are. :wink:

Zero involvement in politics, and zero insider information, pap or opposition. What I have is 11 years of solid experience in sammyboy forums. :p

Seriously though, you would be a better candidate than many others. Not necessarily because you are smarter, more knowledgeable, more experienced or more qualified, but because you are an ordinary intelligent chap with ideas and ideals, who to put it simply "kan bu xia qu". Like many of us.

It's a real pity, I mean that.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The first role of any MP around the world, not just in Singapore, is to take care of the welfare of his ward, those who voted him into office. If he or she cant manage his ward well, cant take care of his voters, cant keep the place in tidy and order, I dont see any reason why the national role of debating in parliment even matter.

But Goh Meng Seng said the MPs job is not really to take care of the ward, but to handle legislation. And if the town council does not do its job, he will just fire the TC manager.

According to MS Goh, anyone who believe the MP has to take care of the ward is politically naive and has played into PAP propaganda.

The correct phrase is "look after", not "take care". Remember: only a chinese educated person will understand the difference!

*LOL*

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But Goh Meng Seng said the MPs job is not really to take care of the ward, but to handle legislation. And if the town council does not do its job, he will just fire the TC manager.

According to MS Goh, anyone who believe the MP has to take care of the ward is politically naive and has played into PAP propaganda.

The correct phrase is "look after", not "take care". Remember: only a chinese educated person will understand the difference!

*LOL*

Look after = 看管
Take care = 照顾

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I see the problem as this: opposition reflects the ground reality more than anything else. The fact that current opposition is weak is primarily because the voters don't desire to see real change as yet.

You see the problem as a vicious cycle, if I read you correctly, in that voters don't elect oppo, and therefore good people don't join, and therefore voters don't vote oppo, and so on.

I think it is more than that. If voters start to see a need for real change, as opposed to just having one or two "watchdog", then you will automatically see more good people coming forth to serve in opposition politics.

Just a simple example: Tan Kin Lian. He has been reading the ground carefully so see how he should position himself. He has not committed to any party because of the ground reality which is currently not in favour of substantive political change.

You can bet that people of similar stature as TKL will be doing the same "homework" first, before committing themselves.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Y

Lets face it. Lily Neo is pretty.

But your point is correct.