• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Using western name to hide her country of birth

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean Patricia Chan, daughter of the late Chan Ah Kow.

You forget Tan Howe Liang. But then he was born in China - so, I'm not sure if you accept him or not.

We should not forget Patricia Kim.

jw5

Loyal
You mean Patricia Chan, daughter of the late Chan Ah Kow.

You forget Tan Howe Liang. But then he was born in China - so, I'm not sure if you accept him or not.
No, I mean Patricia Kim, table tennis player, gold medallist at SEA games.
Not Pat Chan the swimmer.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We are in Singapore, a country that accepts ethnic names easily. Here, you can have a Chinese name, Malay name or Indian name without any form of discrimination. These athletes are representing Singapore, I do not see any need for English names unless their birth certificates already have it. It is obvious that Western names are still seen as better as normal Chinese name.

The practice of Chinese having two names dates back thousands of years. It's usually "adult name" and "birth name." For example, 刘备,刘玄德。诸葛亮,诸葛孔明。There's nothing wrong with taking a Christian name if baptised at adulthood. There's also nothing with taking a non-religious English name at adulthood if one likes it. There's also nothing wrong with parents giving their children English names at birth even if non-Christians. What's wrong is Chinese lacking confidence in themselves, and accusing other Chinese for this and that foreign influence.

If you don't like it, don't do it for yourself. That's all.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
8-23-2010 4-59-02 PM.jpg

hi im Ivy..

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It does not mean that by aopting western names one is not proud of his/her own heritage. Many Jewish families who emigrated to America before and during WW2 changed their family names to one that is more anglocised in order to better fit into American society.

Read the article. It says that some chinkies from CHINA adopted ENGLISH names to fit into SINGAPORE society.

That would be like a Jew emigrating to America and adopting a Japanese name in order to fit in.

I can't think of a more bizarre state of affairs.

When it comes to race and culture issues, Singapore society is probably in a more confused state than anywhere else on earth!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read the article. It says that some chinkies from CHINA adopted ENGLISH names to fit into SINGAPORE society.

That would be like a Jew emigrating to America and adopting a Japanese name in order to fit in.

I can't think of a more bizarre state of affairs.

When it comes to race and culture issues, Singapore society is probably in a more confused state than anywhere else on earth!

I don't see anything wrong here. What's so bizzare? Singapore was founded by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles. He spoke English. Singapore is populated mostly by Chinese who left China and their descendants born in a country where English is the first language of law, politics, education and commerce. You go US and find an ABC or ABJ under 40 without English name or can write Chinese or Japanese at O Level standards.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lady from China with name say Lin Dai having migrated to S'pore decided to call herself Linda Lin. Now, anything wrong? Alot of Chinese Singaporean have Christian names anyway. Is that wrong?

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
The practice of Chinese having two names dates back thousands of years. It's usually "adult name" and "birth name." For example, 刘备,刘玄德。诸葛亮,诸葛孔明。There's nothing wrong with taking a Christian name if baptised at adulthood. There's also nothing with taking a non-religious English name at adulthood if one likes it. There's also nothing wrong with parents giving their children English names at birth even if non-Christians. What's wrong is Chinese lacking confidence in themselves, and accusing other Chinese for this and that foreign influence.

If you don't like it, don't do it for yourself. That's all.
If you have English names that is already in your birth certificate, nothing wrong with that. But if you specifically create an English name for people to call in Singapore, don't you think it is unnecessary? Everybody here pretty much speaks broken English/Singlish/Hokkien anyway. I am not a Chinese chavunist btw. I do not know my Chinese history, am better at speaking English but I don't see the need to adopt English name in Singapore.

Even the Minister Mentor dropped "Harry" from his official name, and it is significant considering he is English-educated and is still less fluent in speaking Mandarin than English.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe I have not made it clear in my earlier post (But I did mention it). If you have English names that is already in your birth certificate, nothing wrong with that. But if you specifically create an English name for people to call in Singapore, don't you think it is unnecessary? I am not a Chinese chavunist btw. I do not know my Chinese history, am better at speaking English but I don't see the need to adopt English name in Singapore.

You still don't get it. People are criticising parents for giving English names to children. That's on birth cert. It's not a matter of necessity. It's a matter of not interfering or criticising others exercise of choice. I don't have mine on birth cert, just baptismal cert.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
You still don't get it. People are criticising parents for giving English names to children. That's on birth cert. It's not a matter of necessity. It's a matter of not interfering or criticising others exercise of choice. I don't have mine on birth cert, just baptismal cert.
You are probably right, I have been a tad too uptight about this. Well, whatever that makes them happy. Business as usual.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not mean that by aopting western names one is not proud of his/her own heritage. Many Jewish families who emigrated to America before and during WW2 changed their family names to one that is more anglocised in order to better fit into American society. One example is Lawrence Summers, current director of US National Economic Council whose family name had been changed from Samuelson to Summers. He is the nephew of the late great economist Paul Samuelson. Similarly, a Chinese immigrant to America could changed his family name form Yang to Young, no issue right?

That's because they are a minority want to assimilate or deflect discrimination from the spelling of the their names on exam papers or even job application forms. Or in Indonesia during Suharto time when Chinese were forced to 'indonesianized' their names eg. Lim to Salim, Wee to Wijaya etc. The common factor of these peoples was they are the minority. Here, in Singapore the Chinese are the majority and yet people are changing their names to be of those of a minority. Ironical isn't it?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I don't see anything wrong here. What's so bizzare? Singapore was founded by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles. He spoke English. Singapore is populated mostly by Chinese who left China and their descendants born in a country where English is the first language of law, politics, education and commerce. You go US and find an ABC or ABJ under 40 without English name or can write Chinese or Japanese at O Level standards.

The British were kicked out half a century ago. We're now into the 2nd decade of the 21st century. If you're telling me that sinkies have to adopt ENGLISH names because some pommie set up a trading post on that little Island at the beginning of the 19th century, then things are even stranger than I first thought.:rolleyes:

If the Chinese want to assimilate into the Malay Archipelago, they should take up names that reflect the culture and religion of the region. Ethnic Chinese in Thailand and Indonesia have gone down that route. There is no reason why Singaporeans can't do the same.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The British were kicked out half a century ago. We're now into the 2nd decade of the 21st century. If you're telling me that sinkies have to adopt ENGLISH names because some pommie set up a trading post on that little Island at the beginning of the 19th century, then things are even stranger than I first thought.:rolleyes:

If the Chinese want to assimilate into the Malay Archipelago, they should take up names that reflect the culture and religion of the region.

The Malays name themselves in Arabic.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most Sinkies do not have western names as their official names. They use it for convenience in the workplace or social gatherings and has nothing to do with being anglophile or loving things western. In the office, I go by the name Paul. When I visit health centres , I sign my name in as Peter. When I go KTV, I will tell the girls my name is Robert. Finally, when I meet and talk to a stranger, I will introduce myself as John.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
When I visit health centres , I sign my name in as Peter. When I go KTV, I will tell the girls my name is Robert. Finally, when I meet and talk to a stranger, I will introduce myself as John.

If you're the sort that visits disgusting places like KTV joints and massage parlours, I'm not surprised you have no pride, no sense of identity and no self esteem whatsoever.:rolleyes:

You might as well assign yourself a number instead of a name.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
mayb there'll be less scrutiny if the chinkapore players adopt a more localized name: Balacheet/ Balakrishnadan/ Shamugaratnaam/ Ebraheem

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding that. But most of the kelings do keep their names la. Jaswan Singh, Bayi Singh, Santeep, Prakhnesh, etc. :biggrin:

Sorry, not true hor. I remember when I was in NS 20+ years ago and getting all confused over this Thomas Matthew, Emmanuel Joseph etc etc. They are kelings and yet have angmoh names.

I too scared to ask them cos they mostly staffs and WOs. Until one day, my laochek told me that originally they are Sivalingam and Thabi etc etc last time but choose angmoh names. After that son/daughter follows fathers so become Thomas s/o Mathew etc etc.

So dun just laugh at Chinese hor. At least we kept our surnames.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, not true hor. I remember when I was in NS 20+ years ago and getting all confused over this Thomas Matthew, Emmanuel Joseph etc etc. They are kelings and yet have angmoh names.

I too scared to ask them cos they mostly staffs and WOs. Until one day, my laochek told me that originally they are Sivalingam and Thabi etc etc last time but choose angmoh names. After that son/daughter follows fathers so become Thomas s/o Mathew etc etc.

So dun just laugh at Chinese hor. At least we kept our surnames.

Are those kelings Christians? :o:o

But still thanks for informing of such info, I have not met such kelings with full English names. Pardon my ignorance. :o

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am pretty sure they are Christians. Nonetheless, this choosing of angmoh names perplex me as well.

I dun have an angmoh name but my children have cos my wife wants. So it is a culturally acceptable thingy bah.