• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Using western name to hide her country of birth

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm glad you get the picture. Singapore is bang in the middle of a huge Islamic sea. The sooner the country adapts, the better it will be for everyone.

what a sissy, pui :mad:

no wonder u run road to new zealand to go fuck the sheeps already :oIo::oIo:

not everyone here is a chow ah gwa like you. ooi, when u wanna start taking away your immunity power. care to see how much infractions u will get:oIo::oIo:

PUI!

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am pretty sure they are Christians. Nonetheless, this choosing of angmoh names perplex me as well.

I dun have an angmoh name but my children have cos my wife wants. So it is a culturally acceptable thingy bah.

I am not some traditional Chinese chauvinist but like you, I am surprised why the Chinese want to adopt English names in Singapore. Chinese are the majority in Singapore. There are of course, certain valid reasons why Chinese adopt English names.

- The Chinese is born a Christian/Catholic, been baptized and given Bible names by the parents

- The Chinese is not born Christian/Catholic but has been given the English name by the parents

- The Chinese migrated overseas into Anglo territories (UK/US/AUS/NZ/CA) and adopts English names to blend and integrate with the locals

- The person's Chinese name is often the butt of jokes because it sounds something bad or it sounds like a dialect vulgarity

But some Chinese who do not even have any valid reasons like mentioned above, but still adopt English names "for easier pronunciation". Which I don't understand, since angmohs are not even the majority in Singapore. It either shows that this person dislike his own roots or he is not proud to be one.

I am English-speaking but I do not adopt an English name because simply, majority is Chinese in SG. Circumstances will change if I ever migrate to an Anglo country.

The funny thing is, I do not see local born-and-bred Japanese adopting English names and same applies to the local born-and-bred Koreans and Hong Kongers. Only their superstars adopt an English name for easier pronunciation for the Western fans. Still, in their local country, they are called by their real names.

Assuming you watch BPL from your avatar, you should know that even Park Ji-Sung does not adopt an English alias despite playing in an English club. Further up north in Scotland, Shunsuke Nakamura also does not adopt English names despite in Anglo territory.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
how about mats who adopt english sounding names?

aaron aziz the malay channel actor?? u telling aaron aaron is malay name??

pui.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
how about mats who adopt english sounding names?

aaron aziz the malay channel actor?? u telling aaron aaron is malay name??

pui.

Even the Malays in Singapore are getting more insecure. I have seen English names in Malays. Not all the kelings have jumped on the bandwagon, but not surprised if they will soon. Seems like a Singapore thing to dislike your own given names.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is a difference when you are born and given a name and then adopt a different name. Born Tan Ah Kau but later changed to Christopher. Aaron Aziz on the other hand is born Aaron Aziz. Does not matter if it sound cina or malay or ang moh. That is his real name.

Issue here is simple. Are you ashamed of the name given just because it does not sound cool?

its not aaron aziz's fault since its his parents that gave them his name.

its his fucking parents fault then:oIo:

how u know tan ah kua is not given tan ah kua christopher by his parents?

typical mat talk is it:confused:

mehmeh55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read the article. It says that some chinkies from CHINA adopted ENGLISH names to fit into SINGAPORE society.

That would be like a Jew emigrating to America and adopting a Japanese name in order to fit in.

I can't think of a more bizarre state of affairs.

When it comes to race and culture issues, Singapore society is probably in a more confused state than anywhere else on earth!

We all know you are trolling but the only one who is confused is you. Having an English name in Singapore is a given since most people have one and the first language of Singaporeans is English.

Singapore has always been British in its core because the British founded the country and were the ones who built it up for most of it modern history. Before the British, there was only a piece of land without anything on it. They came, built it up and populated it. The British influence on Singapore is the deepest. Then you have Chinese, Indian and Malay influences as well melded into one unique Singaporean identity.

Singaporeans have been brought up mostly under British influence with influences of Chinese,Malay and Indian as well. Look at Singapore's laws (British common law system), political framework (British first past the post, unicameral system), language (English as the first language), schools (British O and A levels), etc etc

And since you are at it, maybe you can ask the Americans why they speak English and assign themselves names in English as well, since 80% of them are not of English ancestry but German, Polish, Dutch, etc.

Are you saying 90% of Americans today are confused and speaking a foreign language?

Why don't you go the a Kiwi or American and tell them they are so Chinese because they use paper, gunpowder, wears cotton clothes, use gas cylinders and build buildings with metal welding technology. All these were Chinese inventions?

Give your head a good shake.

The British were kicked out half a century ago. We're now into the 2nd decade of the 21st century. If you're telling me that sinkies have to adopt ENGLISH names because some pommie set up a trading post on that little Island at the beginning of the 19th century, then things are even stranger than I first thought.:rolleyes:

If the Chinese want to assimilate into the Malay Archipelago, they should take up names that reflect the culture and religion of the region. Ethnic Chinese in Thailand and Indonesia have gone down that route. There is no reason why Singaporeans can't do the same.

Why don't you walk your talk?

I would love to see you with some face tattoos, a straw skirt, speaking fluent Maori. If you want to assimilate into the Oceanic region, then that is what you should do Kiwi boy.

Are you saying they're all on their way to England????:confused:

Newsflash!

There are 55 countries in the world who have English as their official language. All European nations now speak English as their second language.

After the break, troll boy Leongsam who ironically lives in New Zealand and speaks English as his first language will spew more bs about how all 55 countries have a stiff upper lip because they speak English.

Why do XXXX have to adopt Anglo names in the first place???:rolleyes: Just read the para above... there's a Thai with a Thai name, a Jap with a Jap name, an Austrian with an Austrian name and a Nigerian with a Nigerian name. The odd one out is of course the chinamen who goes by the name of "Clarence"!!! I'm sure his Chinese ancestors must be very proud of him for trying to hide his heritage.:rolleyes:

Why do the Irish, Welsh, Scottish, German Americans, Greek Australians speak English and use English names instead of Gaelic, Welsh, Scots, German, Greek?

Why does Ireland, Wales, Scotland, America, South Africa, Ghana, Carribean nations, Fiji and Singapore all speak English as their first language when most of their people are not even of English ancestry?

I think my ancestors would love for me to take up a Singaporean ("English") name. After all, they hated China so much they couldn't wait to get out of it and they travelled halfway round the way to Singapore. They were the ones who chose to become Singaporean over Chinese, and I would be proud to continue that legacy - English name, speaking English, eating Prata, loving Durian and all, like a true blue son of Singapore!

And just to make it clear to your demented head, I am not even Chinese so you are barking up the wrong trees.

Singaporeans need a visa just to go to China. The distance from China to Singapore is the same distance from France to China. We have a Singaporean upbringing and I am proud to be Singaporean. We are not trying to be anyone else except a true son of the Republic of Singapore.

If you include the mixed race babies, 60% of Singaporeans aren't even of Chinese ancestry these days.

And Singaporean names aren't really 100% western, but a creole of East and West.

Look at the name "Simon Tan Lim Peng". Simon is an English name but the name Tan is obviously Asian and Singaporean in origin. Lim Peng is a Chinese name. The sequence of his name is also Asian and does not follow the Western first, middle, last name sequencing.

His name is not Simon Walker Smith or Simon Walker Tall, that is a 100% western name.

If you want to troll, at least get the nationality right before you start spewing away. :oIo:

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone read the TNP today? It more or less confirms that Isabelle Li is local but they used the article to justify foreign imports

mehmeh55

Alfrescian
Loyal
your first post is so long and "attacking" forum owner, not normal.

whose clone are you?

I am not a clone of anyone here. It is obvious isn't it?

Except for a few people, most of the posters here are your typical 40-50 year old Secondary school dropout working as hawkers or cab drivers who can't even string together a proper sentence in English. :oIo:

mehmeh55

Alfrescian
Loyal
The funny thing is, I do not see local born-and-bred Japanese adopting English names and same applies to the local born-and-bred Koreans and Hong Kongers. Only their superstars adopt an English name for easier pronunciation for the Western fans. Still, in their local country, they are called by their real names.

Assuming you watch BPL from your avatar, you should know that even Park Ji-Sung does not adopt an English alias despite playing in an English club. Further up north in Scotland, Shunsuke Nakamura also does not adopt English names despite in Anglo territory.

That is because their countries are not English speaking while yours is you retarded dog. And you also happened to be educated entirely in English and that stupid language is the bloody first language of your country.

See the difference between Singapore Japan and Korean now you lowlife illiterate scum? :oIo:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is because their countries are not English speaking while yours is you retarded dog. And you also happened to be educated entirely in English and that stupid language is the bloody first language of your country.

See the difference between Singapore Japan and Korean now you lowlife illiterate scum? :oIo:
Are you Clinton666 in disguise? You also use the "retarded dog" insult. You are amusing. :P

So just because I learn English as my first language, I should go pray to St George and sing "God Save The Queen" as my anthem?

mehmeh55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you Clinton666 in disguise? You also use the "retarded dog" insult. You are amusing. :P

So just because I learn English as my first language, I should go pray to St George and sing "God Save The Queen" as my anthem?

No you should have your name written in English, sing Majullah Singapurah and pray for someone to give you a brain soon :oIo:

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
mehmeh..y so worked up..everyone here is free to express their view...juz take it like a pinch of salt...