• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Using western name to hide her country of birth

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Three of Singapore's top paddlers have taken on English names to better integrate into local society."?????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Let me see if I understand this right.... in order to some gooks from one Asian country to integrate with gooks from another Asian country, they have to take take on names from Ang Moh Land thousands of miles away from both????:confused:

I've never heard of anything more ludicrous in all my life!:rolleyes:

English call it assimilation, Sinkies call it ASSimilation

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you saying they're all on their way to England????:confused:

No. But in Singapore, Chinese men can only relate to PRC KTV gers who go by skanky names like coco and ivy.

If not, how to tell a prostitute from a ... a..... erm.... what else do prc girls in Singpaore do?

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wah..IVY if work in geylang...the police no need to do anyting..she scared the living hell of all the patrons there..

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do chinks have to adopt Anglo names in the first place???:rolleyes: Just read the para above... there's a Thai with a Thai name, a Jap with a Jap name, an Austrian with an Austrian name and a Nigerian with a Nigerian name. The odd one out is of course the chinamen who goes by the name of "Clarence"!!! I'm sure his Chinese ancestors must be very proud of him for trying to hide his heritage.:rolleyes:

this obsession with racial heritage is preventing the unification of mankind.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We also have Tiffany, Joy and another I forgot what is the adopted name.

Happened to read some one-liner within a huge report that they been loosing tourament events recently to players with much lower in rankings, but the timely and credible The Good News Paper tried to hide the results.

The other one is Ivy. Whoever that give them the names must be a chongster. That why give them name that are use by KTV GROs. :rolleyes:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thirty years ago, the PAPzis foresaw the massive influx of immigrants from China and began the process of assimilating us into them rather than the other way around. This happened in two ways:
  • the Speak Mandarin Campaign; and more sinisterly
  • the pinyinisation of Chinese names.

School children had hanyu pinyin names forced on them, i.e., their pinyin names took precedence over what their parents gave to them in all school documents such as books, exam records, class registers, school certificates, etc.

There were plans to extend this to adults as well. The late Goh Keng Swee notoriously threatened to withdraw National Day Awards from anyone who insisted on not using their pinyin names. I recall pledging to myself then that they could keep my award if ever I was considered for one.

The PAPzis also tried to pinyinise our place names:
  • Tekka became Zhujiao (we called it 'Pig's Leg';
  • Nee Soon became Yishun; and
  • Bukit Panjang was sinicised into Zhenghua.

And then they went for our foods:
  • char kway teow - chao guo tiao;
  • chai tao kuay - cai tou guo, etc.

The flavour of these foods also went out with their old names which told of their origins.

But most interestingly, we never saw 'Li Guangyao' or 'Wu Qingrui'. Even Dear Leeder's name was spelt in the Wade Giles system rather than the pinyin system. The PAPzis knew that names give us identities and refused to give theirs up even as they suppressed ours.

There was a quiet uproar. People avoided the pinyin names. Some even gave their children and themselves Christian names because they did not want to be called by their pinyin names. And as far as I know, the SAF never adopted it.

About 15 years after the administratively wasteful pinyinisation policy began, it was moderated and then dropped.

The PAPzis said it was a rethink but I know that the passive resistance of the populace played a part in making their policy manifestly meaningless.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
talk cok, sam is not anglo name meh? :rolleyes:

"Sam" is an internet moniker you twit. The issue here is what chinkies call themselves in real life. I couldn't care less what names they give themselves on the net. They can call themselves "Adolph Hitler" for all I care.:rolleyes:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
The funny trait of the Chinese is that they like to worship the white men, adopt their names in real-life and assimilate into the western culture. I don't see the Japanese doing that, neither do the Koreans and not even the keling gweis.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
The funny trait of the Chinese is that they like to worship the white men, adopt their names in real-life and assimilate into the western culture. I don't see the Japanese doing that, neither do the Koreans and not even the keling gweis.

no keling did that: joseph prince the bayi singh no count is it:confused:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gurmit Singh also pretend (quite successfully and profitably) to be Gurmit Seng with his fairer complexion. Kevin Ruud, the previous Australian PM, went to China and said, "Translator? No thanks. 不必翻译,我懂中文。" He was damn good at it, perfect tones without acccent. See, got non-Chinese want to pretend Chinese too.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
no keling did that: joseph prince the bayi singh no count is it:confused:
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding that. But most of the kelings do keep their names la. Jaswan Singh, Bayi Singh, Santeep, Prakhnesh, etc. :biggrin:

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I refused to patronize any stalls who use pinyin translation instead of Rojak, Char Kway Teow or other traditional names. Or any stalls trying to halal themselves by declaring no-pork.

There were plans to extend this to adults as well. The late Goh Keng Swee notoriously threatened to withdraw National Day Awards from anyone who insisted on not using their pinyin names. I recall pledging to myself then that they could keep my award if ever I was considered for one.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no reason to be xenophobic where names are concerned. Mainland China names are so passe, there are limits for people giving themselves small bottle, small dragon, precious jade. Its only better than naming your kids Ah Ter, Ah Kow, Ah Beng or Ah Lian in the past. Look at the Chinese olympic winners. Nobody remembers their names after the next Olympic. I think Hong Kong style names are in the right direction giving yourself quirky and recognizable names like Gummy Choi, Winky Cheung, Milky Tam, Kenix Kwok, Chlorine Shum, Power Lau, Natalis Chan, Tats Yeung, Bondy Chau, Sammul Chan, Solar Yim, Sicily Pang, Jelly Au.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not mean that by aopting western names one is not proud of his/her own heritage. Many Jewish families who emigrated to America before and during WW2 changed their family names to one that is more anglocised in order to better fit into American society. One example is Lawrence Summers, current director of US National Economic Council whose family name had been changed from Samuelson to Summers. He is the nephew of the late great economist Paul Samuelson. Similarly, a Chinese immigrant to America could changed his family name form Yang to Young, no issue right?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It does not mean that by aopting western names one is not proud of his/her own heritage. Many Jewish families who emigrated to America before and during WW2 changed their family names to one that is more anglocised in order to better fit into American society. One example is Lawrence Summers, current director of US National Economic Council whose family name had been changed from Samuelson to Summers. He is the nephew of the late great economist Paul Samuelson. Similarly, a Chinese immigrant to America could changed his family name form Yang to Young, no issue right?

Well said. Only Chinese who are insecure themselves accuse other Chinese of adopting English names and spellings. Up your points.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal

We are in Singapore, a country that accepts ethnic names easily. Here, you can have a Chinese name, Malay name or Indian name without any form of discrimination. These athletes are representing Singapore, I do not see any need for English names unless their birth certificates already have it. It is obvious that Western names are still seen as better as normal Chinese name.

The examples you mentioned are about people migrating to America. Naturally, it is nothing wrong to change your name to fit in with the society there. In fact, I encourage it for the sake of integration. But now the case is these athletes are wear Singapore colours, not American colours. The English names are really not necessary.

Just like you do not see any pure ethnic Japanese representing Japan calling themselves Michael Miyamoto or any pure ethnic Koreans representing Korea calling themselves John Park.

Park-ji-Sung is a good example of a person who is proud of his ethnic culture and roots.