• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local born Singkies won SEA Games Table Tennis Gold

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
www.straitstimes.com

SEA Games 2023: Singapore clinch men’s table tennis team gold for the first time since 2015​

dl2.png

PHNOM PENH – After reclaiming the throne as kings of South-east Asian table tennis, the Singaporean quintet of Clarence Chew, Koen Pang, Izaac Quek, Beh Kun Ting and Ethan Poh were egging each other on to dance to the Vietnamese viral song See Tinh at the media mixed zone.
While they were too shy to complete the moves in public, they were bold on court in the men’s team final against Malaysia, running out 3-0 winners at the Morodok Techo National Stadium Table Tennis Hall on Thursday.
And finally, after eight years, the gold medal was back in Singaporean hands.
The 2015 title-winning team comprised Chew, Chen Feng, Li Hu, Yang Zi and current men’s team coach Gao Ning.
This is also the first time the Republic has won this event with an all-local squad since Tan Khoon Hong, Tan Kai Kok and Chia Chong Boon did so on home soil in 1973.
Singapore had won seven out of eight men’s team gold medals from 1999 to 2015 – the event was excluded in 2011 – with a mix of China-born and local players.
On winning a second team title, Chew said: “It feels amazing. I was the youngest player in the team in 2015, and now I’m the oldest at 27 in my sixth SEA Games.
“To be able to lead the team to victory here is a very sweet moment for me.
“I’m very proud of all the players, we did very well to win this gold medal.”
In Cambodia, Singapore had brushed aside Laos, Malaysia and the Philippines in the group stage, and defending champions Thailand in the semi-finals, with 3-0 victories.
With Malaysia completing their marathon 3-2 semi-final win over Vietnam close to midnight on Wednesday, Singapore were no doubt fresher for the final.
But the result was rarely in doubt, even if their Causeway rivals tried their best to put Singapore under pressure early on.
Chew rebounded from one game down to beat Leong Chee Feng 3-1 (8-11, 11-4, 11-9, 11-6), before Pang beat Javen Choong 3-1 (11-4, 9-11, 11-5, 11-8) in front of a vociferous 300-strong crowd.
Pang, 21, who won the men’s singles gold in 2019, said: “I didn’t feel as nervous because Clarence had given us the lead, and I just had to carry on the momentum.
“It also felt great to have fellow Singaporeans behind us and we are grateful for everyone who came down to support us.”
That set the stage for 16-year-old Izaac to beat Wong Qi Shen 3-2 (11-9, 12-14, 11-13, 11-9, 11-7) in a thrilling comeback to seal overall victory.
Currently the highest-ranked player in South-east Asia at world No. 68, he looked down for the count with an 8-5 deficit in the fourth game, but rallied superbly with confident serves and returns to mount a stirring fightback.
He said: “It was the same scenario in the group stage against the same player.
“I didn’t feel the pressure because I knew my teammates had my back regardless of the result.
“I told myself I have nothing to lose and focused on the tactics for each point, rather than the result.”
Coach Gao looked spent after the match, but still indulged in numerous wefies in which he beamed as brightly as he did when he won 11 SEA Games gold medals for Singapore before he retired in 2018.
The 40-year-old said: “I’m more nervous as a coach than as a player – today, it was like I was sitting on a chair of needles.
“Players need to focus only on themselves, while coaches have to take care of a team and think of many areas such as line-ups, strategies and making sure everyone is in good condition.
“After all the hard work everyone has put in, I’m very heartened to see these local-born players taking over the mantle.
“We cannot get ahead of ourselves for the individual events and have to go all out and not hold anything back.”
In the women’s team event, Thailand beat Malaysia 3-0 to retain their crown while Singapore and Vietnam shared bronze.
The individual events commence on Saturday with the men’s, women’s and mixed doubles quarter-finals.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congrats to locals for winning.
Reminded me of the time when I saw an all China ping pong team winning for the PAP and was on one of the roadshows to celebrate with some R Admiral.
I happened to walk past and refused to accept the posters they were giving away free and quicky walked away to avoid them.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Never really cared about ping pong as a competitive sport. It's just that the shameless PAP regime made a big deal about the sport after importing some Tiong ping pong rejects to be the medal mercenaries. :rolleyes: