• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The use of the word "Allah". Please be sensitive when you offer your views.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the Catholics are trying to be too clever here. In this case, it is not as if there are no alternatives. They are all using romanised characters so using the word God is understandable enough. I understood Allah to be the Islam god so Catholics using Allah is a bit too confusing.

That's right. If the Islam god <> Christian god, then the use of Allah is not right.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
The term "Tuhan" was already suggested as a workable alternative and solution.

I should reckon the Supreme Being Himself is not fussy about what man calls Him, as long as all recognise Him as The Supreme Being.

But since each culture has their own special character and because of the social complexity of the issue of religion, contextual sensibility must reign supreme.

Thus there is no absolute right or wrong in this matter. But all should work under the principle of fostering overall peacefulness and elimination of friction rather than win with intellectual arguments and logic alone.

Personally, I think that any other local religion, and not just Christians, should not use the term "Allah" to address The Supreme Being even if they choose to.

Just my 2c.

I think yours is the most reasonable argument. "Tuhan" is a good alternative.

However i do not agree that there is no absolute right or wrong in this matter.

There is absolute right and absolute wrong. It is just that all think they are absolutely right and the others are absolutely wrong. Same as all the anti-Christians people here.

Best is to ask God to Judge.

All these problems with Muslims, Christians and Jews can only be resolved by God's Absolute Decision. At least one will be tremendously unhappy.

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lucky i pray to TPK...translate to watever language also call Tua Pek Kong...no conflicts...Huat ah!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah Lor! Instead of spending effort time and money into building up the country and the people...they spend time arguing about semantics...

Like semantics can help the peasants...:biggrin:

Maybe leaders who respect and worship Christian God do better in this aspect? :biggrin:

Now why I keep telling you Christian God is more superior? :biggrin:

There's no such thing as which god is superior, there's only one God to an monotheist (Christians, Jews and Muslims). Anyway, the God of the Christians, Jews and Muslims are all the One same God, i.e. the God of Abraham (or Ibrahim in Arabic). It's the believes of how to reach to Him and who taught the right ways to reach Him that differ.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Arab people don't complain, why do Malaysia wants to complain? :biggrin:

Malaysia is too sweeping a word.

Who are those who complain? Are they the moderate Muslims who voted UMNO or the fanatical Muslims who voted PAS?

If the lattar, then the possibility of a political agenda cannot be discarded. When religion is involved, fanned by politicians, it becomes a bush fire in Australia.

If the former, is there a possibility of trying to appease the Muslims that the moderates are doing something and so undermine the accusations of the fanatics?

If neither, then it could be a genuine complaint.

People's minds are closed when it comes to religions.

But the issue is real across many fronts. That is why it is fertile hunting ground for politicians.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no such thing as which god is superior, there's only one God to an monotheist (Christians, Jews and Muslims). Anyway, the God of the Christians, Jews and Muslims are all the One same God, i.e. the God of Abraham (or Ibrahim in Arabic). It's the believes of how to reach to Him and who taught the right ways to reach Him that differ.

Christians and Jews yes, because the lineage to Abraham is very clear.

Muslims claim a lineage back to Abraham but due to the nomadic nature of the tribes, more work need to be done by more impartial scholars to determine a physical lineage.

If that is determined, then you are indeed right that Muslims, Christians and Jews regard Abraham as their father.

And if all worship the God of Abraham, then how can the name of God be denied to the other children of Abraham?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Christians and Jews yes, because the lineage to Abraham is very clear.

Muslims claim a lineage back to Abraham but due to the nomadic nature of the tribes, more work need to be done by more impartial scholars to determine a physical lineage.

If that is determined, then you are indeed right that Muslims, Christians and Jews regard Abraham as their father.

Jews and Christians are closer related because they both take Jacob (Yaccob) to be the rightful heir to Abraham, whereas Muslims take Ishmael (Ismail) to be the rightful heir. Anyway, all take Abraham (Ibrahim) as the founder and the God of Abraham to be their one and only God.

And if all worship the God of Abraham, then how can the name of God be denied to the other children of Abraham?

The Arab Muslims have no problem. Why the Malaysian Muslims have a problem, ask them.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Muslim Christians and Jew regard Abraham as their father....

Why are they fighting in that narrow strip of Palestine/Israel?

Same as brothers fighting for father's bequest, very common.

Just an example, Burmese and Thai, both Buddhists, have fought each other for centuries.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Malaysia argue because it happens in Malaysia mah. Anyway, this is like machiam cannot call a black Nigger, but among themselves or their rap, they can.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese Christians use the word "shen" (神) too. Should Chinese Taoists complain too?

What about Japanese also using the same word to refer to their Shinto god?

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
is abraham the same abraham in the song "father abraham have seven children...seven children have father abraham...."

AhBengBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese Christians use the word "shen" (神) too. Should Chinese Taoists complain too?

What about Japanese also using the same word to refer to their Shinto god?

It is not so simple a matter as semantics. If so, this issue would have long been settled without much fuss. Situations elsewhere are different from this one, which is unique and serious and thus warrants serious practical considerations in view of its potential to erupt.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia argue because it happens in Malaysia mah. Anyway, this is like machiam cannot call a black Nigger, but among themselves or their rap, they can.

The enunciation and tone of the word "nigger" by African Americans (see how I adopt the political correctness of US culture!:p) is different when used with each other. The closest I would describe it would be using the Chinese "你哥". Watch for that in film media.

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Christians are just being politically exploited and they are unaware. The whole issue is a ploy by UMNO to side-track the attention of Muslims from current pressing problems such as the theft of jet engines, the Mongolian murder case, port klang scandal, robbery of weapons at a military camp, corruption and the like. This is also an attempt to boost Najib's image. So don't be taken in.