• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to his confession the Thai wife was killed in the room he occupied at the Hilton hotel in 1972.

Lim Ewe Hin was the grand nephew of Lim Nee Soon.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes! a canteen, a stall there sells a yummy Char Kway Teow ( with HUM), which I will make it a point to go there to eat..there is no finger pier now. If one and all can remember, near there was the Prince Edward Road Car Park Street Hawkers, in the day it is a car park, at night the hawkers will appear like "toadstools after the rain". My favorite is the Indian Mee Siam, the one with the pink colored gravy made by those Indians with the surnames "Ram" from Gujarati India ( I think). the same kind of Indian, that sell bread with kaya, margarine, sugi cake from the back of the bicycle with a box, that open downwards.

There was a bus terminal around those parts, finger pier area..

Yes, I remember that Indian mee siam. Where can u get that in singapore?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A friend of mine, who passed on about 7 years ago left me a Sword, which he claimed was from a former Japanese Imperial Army officer, for who he worked for at a food ration centre in old Kim Chuan Road during the Occupation period..

If his claim is true, this sword MUST be very old and in demand by antique collectors.

He also left me some stop-watches and other stuff.

Wonder if people may be interested in the Sword.

How do I know whether it is genuine or not ???

Hello brother,

I am very interested.
I still 2 swords at my mother's home in SG,
one from the time I was commissioned in SG, and one from the British Army (not Wilkinson, but close to it).
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Charlie
in Toronto

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toys:

Anyone remember - Pogo sticks, coca-cola yoyos black version the most expensive, the weekly contest at MPH etc, Mastermind, Risk,

Mastermind, Risk.
We were financially poor, so we made our own version of Monopoly, Scrabble, etc.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I remember that Indian mee siam. Where can u get that in singapore?

Don't think so, those kind of Indians were migrant settlers here, most of them have left or pass on. That is why the bread on bicycle is gone too. This is an unique Mee Siam ( not mai hum).

I have not found Mee Siam in Malaysia, I use to search Jalan Leboh Ampang & Brickfields in Kuala Lumpur for MEE SIM, they have not heard of, or Hatyai for Mee Siam!

Anyone know why it is called Mee SIAM??

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The American, a refrigeration expert killed his Thai wife at the Hilton hotel, chopped her up into pieces and moved them to his apartment on the 6th floor of Cairnhill Court
which he rented from the GM of Hilton hotel, the late Mr Lim Ewe Hin.

Poor Ewe Hin got to know him as a long staying guest of the Hilton hotel and was happy to rent to him his Cairnhill Court apartment.

He summoned his son who was living in the USA to his deathbed in Melbourne and confessed the killing of his Thai wife and concealing her body parts in a chest in Cairnhill
Court. After his funeral in Melbourne his son came back to S'pore to report to the police and according to the Pinoy maid she was surprised that there was not stench of smell
during the 5 years she worked for him.

After the discovery of this gruesome murder, poor Ewe Hin couldn't sell nor rent out the apartment for about 8 years and eventually had to sell it to an Indonesian for $290,000
in the late 80's.

In 2003 Cairnhill Court was sold en-bloc to Li Ka Shing and each owner collected $4m.

I thought it was at Hyatt Hotel?? or something that I have missed??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SlideRule.jpg

ya, man _ slide rule ( pain in the ass )

wonder they are still using this nowaday

No, this what we call the "analog" days, where we have to precisely read the rule for readings, like 13.45 on the scale. You give that to any students today, they won't even know what to do & tell them to refer to the log tables, it like hoping that pigs can fly!

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
and for some of the calculations you had to decide for yourself where the decimal point should be

No, this what we call the "analog" days, where we have to precisely read the rule for readings, like 13.45 on the scale. You give that to any students today, they won't even know what to do & tell them to refer to the log tables, it like hoping that pigs can fly!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and for some of the calculations you had to decide for yourself where the decimal point should be

I remember that examination time, we weren't allowed to bring in rulers , pencil case or even notebook that have the times table printed on them, the invigilator will check each student & if found, item confiscated. We have to remember the times table by heart, how many today can still remember 4x9 =___ without starting up your mobile phone for the calculator or whip out that calculator?

A quick memory jog, I can't remember 4 x9 =?, but I get it quick by remembering 5x9 = 45 -9 = 36!! never mind figuring the decimal point on the slide rule, remember we have to give answers to some maths question to 3 or 4 decimal points? & that was a pain in the ass!! and write that QED to the maths problems solved!!

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mastermind, Risk.
We were financially poor, so we made our own version of Monopoly, Scrabble, etc.

Even better value for money were those Compendium of 8 games board game sets, usually had 4 x cardboard sheets with game printed on each side. Snake & Ladders, Ludo, Draughts (or "dum"), etc

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even better value for money were those Compendium of 8 games board game sets, usually had 4 x cardboard sheets with game printed on each side. Snake & Ladders, Ludo, Draughts (or "dum"), etc

Yes, used to have boxes of them at home..think threw out most of them. SIA used to give them to kids, the ones with the magnetic backing for "dum" (checkers) & chess ( not chest) & the cardboard ones for "snakes & ladders" ( not MIW's), Ludo etc..

There was no video games in the 70's, those were the games we play during the school holidays or when one is bored, the better part is, you have no one to play with you can be the second or third player as well, that goes for the game of Chess ( like the Pixar Old man playing chess)!!

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Posters of a certain age will no doubt remember the video arcades all over the island in the 70s - seems they were phased out in the early 80s, but i might be wrong. Most games were just 20cents and the technology nothing like today's fancy Xbox/PS3/etc, but time (and money!) spent in an arcade was probably the best few hours of a week for any kid in those days.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Posters of a certain age will no doubt remember the video arcades all over the island in the 70s - seems they were phased out in the early 80s, but i might be wrong. Most games were just 20cents and the technology nothing like today's fancy Xbox/PS3/etc, but time (and money!) spent in an arcade was probably the best few hours of a week for any kid in those days.
Think the game you played is Space Invaders. Tried the 40 cents game, Galaga, Rally-X, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man?

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think the game you played is Space Invaders. Tried the 40 cents game, Galaga, Rally-X, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man?

Played all those and others (Scramble comes to mind) but they were all 20cents when I did - think they became 40cents later on when the games became a bit funkier too

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Played all those and others (Scramble comes to mind) but they were all 20cents when I did - think they became 40cents later on when the games became a bit funkier too
Hehehe. Think the main difference between the 20 cent and 40 cent arcades is that the former is b/w whereas the latter is color.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Back to early food again.

Anyone remember this dish call "Richshaw Noodle" or "Kan Chia Mee". It's a simple yellow noodle soup with some ikan bilis and Chye Sim. I cannot find this anywhere now in SG.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Back to early food again.

Anyone remember this dish call "Richshaw Noodle" or "Kan Chia Mee". It's a simple yellow noodle soup with some ikan bilis and Chye Sim. I cannot find this anywhere now in SG.

Maxwell Road HC used to have one...not sure still around bo?