• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are number of forummers with excellent memory and treasure trove of experiences, life stories, sex flings, workplace culture, food of old and many other things that made the world tick in those days. It also marked the end of many good things.

I think forummer Kohlianthye had probably the best memory for minute details.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone remember the toto booths alround the islands usually near bus terminals and major road corners. The girls had to be good looking, able to speak English and one other language. One of them went on to win Miss Singapore contest. Men would hang around try to chat up the girls. Occasionally a wife will turn up an there will be scene.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha....another bo liao thread......
i have been accused of stalking Mr/Ms Scroobal.......
nothing is further than the truth......i worship my idol......
ohhhhh.....my 55th birthday next year.........should i be expecting some surprises from my idol???
nah....you don't expect birthday surprises from a wise old man....do you???
but then teenagers like my son is full of bullshits and surprises.......lol.

Bro, not taking side here. But at least such threads tell us where we come fm. We always treasure the past.

Such thread definitely better than those thread tat come with racist themes, imo,...tat always single out certain minority races as such and such...

Peace.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Anyone remember the toto booths alround the islands usually near bus terminals and major road corners. The girls had to be good looking, able to speak English and one other language. One of them went on to win Miss Singapore contest. Men would hang around try to chat up the girls. Occasionally a wife will turn up an there will be scene.
We had one such booth whiLe staying at Kim Pong Road.it had an octogonaL roof, and i recaLLed the girLs wore some kind of uniform.Non-air conditioned.Best part is, whenever at the onset of a heavy squaLL; the girLs wouLd
hurriedLy Lock the booth, go for a Long coffee break before resuming for business after the rain.:wink:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just about made it (or part) ... X and Y generation:p

People born before 1946 were called*The Silent and Powerful generation.*

- People born between 1946 and 1964 are called*The Baby Boomers.*

- People born between 1965 and 1985 are called*Generation X,*

-*People born between 1986 and 2006 are called*Generation Y,*

Why do we call the last group Generation Y?*
Y should I get a job?*
Y should I leave home and find my own place?*
Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?*
Y should I clean my room?*
Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?*
Y should I buy any food?

... a French cartoonist explained it very eloquently, below...*

dc4758ef.jpg

goodtool

Alfrescian
Loyal
when the staggering bus conductor hand over the small little bus ticket, we take a glance at the 4 or 6 digits number and some will collect those "swee" number

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
The TOTO booth reminds me of the similar car park booths placed at the entrance of car parks in HDB estates. I recall the car park attendant will issue a car parking ticket which she will write the time of entry and she will keep the carbon copy whenever my father parks his old Morris Minor van.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
There were also magazines for kids such as Funland and Yippe (or was it Yippy) which I enjoyed reading when I was in primary school.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You go to the neighbourhood coffeeshop to check out the Chap Jee Kee winning numbers.
Mothers send their kids to buy sanitary napkins from provision shops and the kotex box will be gift wrapped in newspapers.
Cinemas had ushers and buses had conductors.
You can use one cent coins to buy something.
You can BYO eggs to the zhichar, prata and char kway teow hawkers to save money.
Leftover discarded food waste put in a small bin for the man who comes around to collect to feed pigs....CNY time he will give you a tray of eggs.
Neigbourhood kids go door to door to sell everything from nasi lemak, otak, epok epok.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only the rich had TV and can invite neighbours to come in the house and watch programmes like Combat, Lone ranger, I Love Lucy, Chinese Variety Show with Wang Sar, Ye Fong, ... Brian Richmond, Roger Cool, were the biggest things on air. Malls were not as many as we have now. I can only remember Robinson's, Yaohan, Tay Ban Guan, ... eating places were mainly in the open like Satay Club, Orchard Road, ...

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Only the rich had TV and can invite neighbours to come in the house and watch programmes like Combat, Lone ranger, I Love Lucy, Chinese Variety Show with Wang Sar, Ye Fong, ... Brian Richmond, Roger Cool, were the biggest things on air. Malls were not as many as we have now. I can only remember Robinson's, Yaohan, Tay Ban Guan, ... eating places were mainly in the open like Satay Club, Orchard Road, ...

hi there

1. bro, in the east.
2. we had the oden katong carpark.
3. i just loved its fried prawn noodles!

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember going to the defunct Bras Basah Community Centre, which was located behind the North Bridge Commercial Complex, to watch TV. The TV was perched high in a box which was locked during the day. Nearby is Liang Seah Street where a man, a little loose in the head, used to paint Liang Seah Street (nearer to the North Bridge Road junction) with all sorts of funny words and pictures.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I used to call it the "toto bush", I was underage then, but I remember having to run errands one of the errand was to buy toto from the "toto bush", the one I know was located at the car park of the Post Office. One croses out the numbers on the ticket, which is in duplicate or triplicate I forgot, you give that to the woman, she will apply the sticker with the serial number at one corner & use her date stamper ( official ) to stamp the toto ticket, you get to keep on copy. There was no, below 18 cannot buy toto or big sweep tcikets, or 4D or chap chee kee from the neighbourhood "runner". I have bought toto, 4d or that chap chee kee with my pocket money...never strike any.

We could buy "smokes"... I have bought "Rothmans of Pall Mall", "Dunhill", "Marlboro", " Craven 69?", "Abdullah" that yellow Box "555", " ang hoon" with the flower brand & rolling papers, cherut & tobacco in that yellow tin box, I forgot the brand & the blue colour paper & cellophane wrappers , again the brand from the "mama" shop that operate off the wall. When I was older I buy CONDOMS discreetly from that those off the wall "mama store" and especially the one at MacrRitchie Reservoir bus stop the one along Upper Thomson Rd, when I have to do "live firing" at the reservoir... ha ha ha

Yes I forgot, buying ABC Stout, Guinees Stout, Tiger Beer, dunno whatever the name of those wine from the Chinese Shop & that occasional "moonshine" call "orang Tuah".. but I never took up smoking, never smoke all my life or drinking, an occasional taste & sometimes occasion calls for, but I hold my drinks, other than that I don't touch.