• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Housewives committed suicide because of this guy. He paid a handsome salary 12 year old son from his company. MLM, Pyramid selling was banned because of it only to allowed again by Ho Peng Kee decades later. Pyramid selling is a structure that works very well in new age church groups and Ho Peng Kee as a staunch Christian was conned into it.

A les savoury part of the 70s:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
remember this one ?

Of course, Simon Templar "the saint", Patrick Macnee & Diana Rigg " the avengers", Dr. Who the "daleks",..time tunnel, journey to the center of the earth, wild wild west, "man woman, birth, death, eternity" Ben Casey, Star Trek, Batman & Robin, I dream of Jeannie, It's about time, 77 Sunset strip, Peyton place...Banana Splits...The Monkees. The Patridge Family...FBI, Ironside..Hawaii 5-0....gosh too many!! THUNDERBIRDS, Marine Boy, Phantoma, Shintaro & Kobe in Samurai...Kung Fu..Mannax..Green Lantern... Have Gun Will Travel, Bonaza...I love Lucy, Bewitch, Ironside...

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Office boys were exempted as the commercial world would grind to a halt. So Govt departments would use another counter to handle messengers and office boys. It was silly period. And most departments eventually did not follw the rule as customers were getting upset jumping queue over a long haired youth.

"Males with long hair will be served last."

Cheers!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Going to the defunct New World Amusement Park was always a treat. There were all sorts of game stalls there but the shooting stall was the one I was most intrigued. At the stall, the operator will hand you a loaded rifle by pulling a lever (guess it was an air rifle?) and you are to shoot empty bottles hanging deeper into the stall. I never got to try because the rifle was longer than I was tall!

Early part of my life was spent at Great World...

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
didnt really like the show...liked the song though.

Of course, Simon Templar "the saint", Patrick Macnee & Diana Rigg " the avengers", Dr. Who the "daleks",..time tunnel, journey to the center of the earth, wild wild west, "man woman, birth, death, eternity" Ben Casey, Star Trek, Batman & Robin, I dream of Jeannie, It's about time, 77 Sunset strip, Peyton place...Banana Splits...The Monkees. The Patridge Family...FBI, Ironside..Hawaii 5-0....gosh too many!! THUNDERBIRDS, Marine Boy, Phantoma, Shintaro & Kobe in Samurai...Kung Fu..Mannax..Green Lantern... Have Gun Will Travel, Bonaza...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Housewives committed suicide because of this guy. He paid a handsome salary 12 year old son from his company. MLM, Pyramid selling was banned because of it only to allowed again by Ho Peng Kee decades later. Pyramid selling is a structure that works very well in new age church groups and Ho Peng Kee as a staunch Christian was conned into it.

Gemini Chit Fund!! or cheat fund (:- Glenn Knight, was DPP then right?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Flintstones, The Jetsons, Bugs Bunny & all their friends, "speedy Gonzles" that skunk "le piew", Sylvester the cat, that cockerel that smack the dog whatever his name & that litlle eagle, Tweety Bird..." I thought, I thought I saw that putty tat"...Penelope whatever with their seven guys in the car & one cry streams of water, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd...never liked Disney!! Mr Magoo, how can I forget him...Yogi Bear & his son, Scooby doo...

it was fun on television those days..nowadays my TV is on the off position from morning to nigh, from Monday to Sunday..except for watching Blu Ray or DVD movies..:biggrin:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Early part of my life was spent at Great World...
Me too.We had 5 cinemas there.Sky,ALtantic,Canton,GLobe,forgotten the Last one though.One major attraction was
the DeviL's train.There was aLso this Snookerium with aLL the 'Layang' tabLes..:smile:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bus stamps..?

monthly..$4 only !

unlimited rides

dont think it unlimted rides, at least it not during the 80s, at the back of the concession card, it printed that card holder can take only 4 rides a day. but no way for sbs/tibs to enforce the rule.

i hold a bus concession card from primary 1 till poly. then one lousy day while i in camp during NSF, my mom dumped a lot of my old stuff i kept in the drawer. sigh.....

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
beetle_2_0.jpg

beetle_1_1.jpg

Remember these Beetle boots?

I had two pairs.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me too.We had 5 cinemas there.Sky,ALtantic,Canton,GLobe,forgotten the Last one though.One major attraction was
the DeviL's train.There was aLso this Snookerium with aLL the 'Layang' tabLes..:smile:

Pacific or "tai peng yuen"...it used to show off the run English movies for 50cts & they used to show many movies that comes in a series, every day a different title... I only can remember I watched the entire "Planet of The Apes" spread over a week , James Bond, Sean Connery..all his movies...was it some Tarzan movies...and many more I have forgotten, some I have already watched but want to watch again for 50cts...but the trade off would be, there will be further cuts to the films... for 50cts...who wants to complain. There was no movie streaming or DL back then!

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in the late 70s, I was always gripped by trepidation whenever I took the SBS bus home on a Saturday after morning ECA. To alert the driver that you wish to alight at the upcoming bus-stop, you have to press the bell but the bell contact is a strip of wire coated by a rubber sheath and is placed at the top of bus ceiling, running the length of the bus. The problem then was I was too short and I can't even reach the bell with my arm at full stretch.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The single storey bungalows along Lorong G and Lorong H off Telok Kurau Rd were all brothels.

They were suppose to offer upper-end prostitutes.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
beetle_2_0.jpg

beetle_1_1.jpg

Remember these Beetle boots?

I had two pairs.

I made a pair by that shoe maker at Bras Basah Road, where part of the new Rendezvous Hotel is now, between the junction of Prinsep Street & Bencoolen Street, at the far end of Prinsep Street where the RDZ hotel used to be, was "the saint" second hand book shop, along that row of shophouses, there was this shoe maker ( not shoe shop) I made that pair of boots with velvet insides ( I missed the feeling of that) wore it till it broke!, a shop that string rackets ( Badminton, tennis, Squash), one or two book stores ( Indian), a coffee shop that sells yummy! wanton noodle, a Siamese Fortune Teller!! and something else, a Camera shop?!?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Office boys were exempted as the commercial world would grind to a halt. So Govt departments would use another counter to handle messengers and office boys. It was silly period. And most departments eventually did not follw the rule as customers were getting upset jumping queue over a long haired youth.
that silly period lasted quite a long time actually........up till Kitaro came to singapore

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I made a pair by that shoe maker at Bras Basah Road, where part of the new Rendezvous Hotel is now, between the junction of Prinsep Street & Bencoolen Street, at the far end of Prinsep Street where the RDZ hotel used to be, was "the saint" second hand book shop, along that row of shophouses, there was this shoe maker ( not shoe shop) I made that pair of boots with velvet insides ( I missed the feeling of that) wore it till it broke!, a shop that string rackets ( Badminton, tennis, Squash), one or two book stores ( Indian), a coffee shop that sells yummy! wanton noodle, a Siamese Fortune Teller!! and something else, a Camera shop?!?
Johnny 2 thumbs........and the 2nd hand bookstores to sell off your text books.....and of course Rendezvous restaurant