• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone remember the body in the chest story that came our circa 1977.

British Referigeration expert and expat murdered his Thai wife in one of the hotel in Orchard Road. He cut her up and placed her parts in a chest and sealed it airtight due to his background. Subsequently when he found permannent accommodation he took the chest with him and kept it in his home. He raised his only son by himself and told relatives the wife had run away.

Years later, when he was on his death bed in SGH, he told his son who then called the Police and they found the body parts in the chest in their home in Cairnhill.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best Chocholates in Hospitals !!!

I wonder if anyone can recall this. Apparently the best quality and range of chocolates were found in the well stocked mama shops on the ground floor lobby of all the major hospitals. I bet this is one gem that is not known about much. He is why

This goes back to colonial days and the western habit of bringing chocolates and flowers to one's loved one. Flowers came from the gardens of Ang Mo expatsand they took special pride in it. The Ang Mos were prepared to pay good price for the chocolates and demand was met. Eventually many of the doctors, many of whom were expats like Prof Ransome who could afford it would buy loads it for friends and family.

Even local doctors were expected to buy chocolates as gifts from these stores when they went to parties.

If you forgot to buy your birthday presents, pne could rush to the hospital mama shop which closes about 9.30pm and get it gift wrapped.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fish

Saw your calculator and recalled dymo tape. Popular with affluent middle income families and they stick it on every textbook, asset etc. multi-coloured and very popular in girls school.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember the body in the chest story that came our circa 1977.

British Referigeration expert and expat murdered his Thai wife in one of the hotel in Orchard Road. He cut her up and placed her parts in a chest and sealed it airtight due to his background. Subsequently when he found permannent accommodation he took the chest with him and kept it in his home. He raised his only son by himself and told relatives the wife had run away.

Years later, when he was on his death bed in SGH, he told his son who then called the Police and they found the body parts in the chest in their home in Cairnhill.

No, I thought it was packed in a suitcase, left in a wardrobe at Hyatt Hotel, where the British man has a long term booking for that particular room, whenever he as business in SINgapore. It was that after he had a heart attack, that he told his son about the suitcase in the hotel room.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gave up supermarket and morphed into Best Denki, I think.

I thought you were from that era, you should know what happened to Yaohan? It was the only ( I think) Departmental Stores not domiciled in Japan, just like Standard Chartred Bank & HSBC, they weren't City of London Banks. It was founded & started by one Mr. Watanabe, was it in HK?, before he set up stores in SINgapore. They were anchor tenant in then Plaza Singapura (PS), the supermarket was at the basement with a food court & the departmental sections in the upper floors. Yaohan branched out to the new just opened Thomson Plaza, with a supermarket ( taken over by fairprice) & departmental stores section. In each of the places, it included, then a one stop electrical & electronic Departmental store called "Best Denki".

Mr. Watanabe did very well with the departmental stores, I think he expanded to some SEA countries, & open stores in Japan ( I think). He then started to dabble in Real Estate, especially in Hong Kong, when the property bubble burst in the 90's, he lost a lot of money. Yaohan group of companies had to close, he sold off bit by bit the various companies in the gropu, which included, F&B, Something like meat processing, Electrical store etc..

I think Yaohan Holdings was listed in the SINgapore stock exchange & Hang Seng, Watanabe went bankrupt ( correct me, if I am wrong), the only visible remain & reminder of once Yaohan Stores is Best Denki. I think he hived it off from the group & sold it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fish

Saw your calculator and recalled dymo tape. Popular with affluent middle income families and they stick it on every textbook, asset etc. multi-coloured and very popular in girls school.

I have quite many DYMO tape applicators & tapes, recently I threw them away for they were getting very mouldy!!

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Anybody remembers

1. floppy diskettes? 2.5" and the even earlier ones 5.5".
2. VHS tape
i was thinking about it just a wee bit earLier..Learning COBOL was the in thing.We had the 482,582 cpu's too..:wink:
Exchanging & borrowing VHS tapes was a fave pastime among the aunties & housewives.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
remember the Apple II in monochrome monitors and then imitations: Medfly,..

games were all cartoon-like..unlike the 3D ones nowadays

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
remember the Apple II in monochrome monitors and then imitations: Medfly,..

games were all cartoon-like..unlike the 3D ones nowadays
If I remember correctly, one of the better imitation is call Cubic or Cubix. And during the early days, pirated software can be obtained in People's Park Complex.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, Osborne! That's vintage.

A friend of mine, who passed on about 7 years ago left me a Sword, which he claimed was from a former Japanese Imperial Army officer, for who he worked for at a food ration centre in old Kim Chuan Road during the Occupation period..

If his claim is true, this sword MUST be very old and in demand by antique collectors.

He also left me some stop-watches and other stuff.

Wonder if people may be interested in the Sword.

How do I know whether it is genuine or not ???

Last edited: