• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, its possible, on some models of Brietling, u don't need the slide rule. I am looking to buy a Breitling myself, so I have been doing my research. Its for commercial airline pilot. On a fighter plane, can't be done, u need your eyes outside the cockpit.
Noted. That's cool.....i only use my chronographs to time my soft boil eggs cooking time....
My dream Brietling used to be the Emergency Mission....but seeing how i wont be travelling for awhile......i put the purchase on the backburner

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard Breitling needs regular servicing because it is complex and the servicing is expensive, more than car. True or not?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey Merl

You are another chap that needs to go to the National Archives to record eye witness account during the crucial period of Singapore's. Your first hand contacts are who's who of the region and your details are super accurate.

Your card game acquaintences are enough for a tome. ISD, FBI, SID, MOSSAD no fight.

Jimmy and Jessie Phua?

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
This remind me of Thomson Yaohan. It was grand at that time when it opened in late 70s.

Yaohan - aka Plaza Singapura (nothing like the horrific present version), back then it was every kid's favourite shopping centre coz they had arcade (basement), an-pan bakery (b1) and some jap bookstore on L2 to read comics for free[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bingo! Thats the one bro. I was recommended by an old timer who made monthly trip there to have it. I noticed that most of his customers were middle aged or elderly Chinese. It looked like some drug haunt with addicts getting their fix.

A former Head of Civil Service was patron but he more often patronises East Coast Hawker Centre with his staff at lunch time when he visiting Changi for work.

No idea why it is called Mee Siam.

Now suffering from withdrawal symptoms liao.

Right hand side star case, third floor, reach there turn left, that kind of Indian Mee Siam is gone, that fellow retired ages. My colleague & me, used to eat there, extra mee hoon plus gravy ( now NEA wants you to request less pay more!), top up with a tau kua, after eating take, go back office, hide in the conference room & tidur till lunch time is over!!. Really delicious...yummy! sedap!

Why is it called MEE SIAM? any idea? You go Siam, they tell you, what "Mess Siam"??

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jurong had one as well...can't remember it was before or after the ice skating rink.

This remind me of Thomson Yaohan. It was grand at that time when it opened in late 70s.

Yaohan - aka Plaza Singapura (nothing like the horrific present version), back then it was every kid's favourite shopping centre coz they had arcade (basement), an-pan bakery (b1) and some jap bookstore on L2 to read comics for free
[/QUOTE]

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Back to early food again.

Anyone remember this dish call "Richshaw Noodle" or "Kan Chia Mee". It's a simple yellow noodle soup with some ikan bilis and Chye Sim. I cannot find this anywhere now in SG.

maxwell confirm have. go early for breakfast. stall selling bee hoon and other stuff too. along the same roll got a stall selling or kueh and kim kuay kueh chilli not bad.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here's my treasured coLLection bro, at Least 30 years' oLd :

sharp1.jpg

sharp2.jpg

Uses 2 x AA bat.StiLL in working condition ! ! :smile:

may i know who is christina tay? chio or not?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maxwell confirm have. go early for breakfast. stall selling bee hoon and other stuff too. along the same roll got a stall selling or kueh and kim kuay kueh chilli not bad.
Hehehe. Thank you very much. That will be part of my food itinerary when I am back. Also love the Hainanese Curry Rice at Maxwell!

Dinkum

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube;ric1kkzEChA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ric1kkzEChA[/video]

Shut your eyes and listen to Matthew sings S'pore Cowboy and you'll never guess that he's a Teochew ah hia who grew up in Hougang fishing village.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Matthew was good and he was very popular even among the tea dance crowd which surprised me. Unfortunately he went bankrupt trying to go into the entertainment business. Hope he is ok now.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Matthew was good and he was very popular even among the tea dance crowd which surprised me. Unfortunately he went bankrupt trying to go into the entertainment business. Hope he is ok now.

Sad movie ~ Sakura Teng.

[video=youtube;sK_kNyeBW9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_kNyeBW9A&feature=related[/video]

Boss, you remember Sakura Teng?

Then, we had our own true-blue talents.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bingo! Thats the one bro. I was recommended by an old timer who made monthly trip there to have it. I noticed that most of his customers were middle aged or elderly Chinese. It looked like some drug haunt with addicts getting their fix.

A former Head of Civil Service was patron but he more often patronises East Coast Hawker Centre with his staff at lunch time when he visiting Changi for work.

No idea why it is called Mee Siam.

Now suffering from withdrawal symptoms liao.

Can't get that kind of Mee Siam anymore, of a few food that is consign to memory. There is a Teochew hawker dish that is I think 'extinct', can't find it anymore, which I love. It is the pig intestines, stuff with glutinous rice, steamed & you eat it dip in sweet sauce!!..delicious!