• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks guys. Wow! Still can get 60 cents and 70 cents noodle. This is a must try when I balek. Not for the price, but for the good old memories. :smile:

I think you need to order 2-3 bowls to be full...similar with my favorite sungei road laksa....need to upsize and order at least 2 bowls to get my fix

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HTOLAS said:
Indeed, there were two padang restaurants; the other was called Tiong Hua. I've tried both and I think I preferred Tiong Hua's food. The Capitol coffee house you referred to was probably Merlin, complete with plastic replica food and a few lao chio waitresses.

You could be right about the spelling of cafe. Those days, I only heard the name spoken, never checked the sign boards and never saw it it print.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quite right. You got to make an order of magnitude estimation. Those days, I think we used our blains more..

A pilot friend told me if his flight gauges fail theb he can do his flight calculations using only a slide rule and his breitling watch? He got smoke me bo?

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While we played our card games, he would come over to tcss with us, and sometimes our host would arrange a mahjong game for him.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last Indian Mee Siam stall that I know was in Golden Shoe car park Hawker Centre. It was the real thing.

Don't think so, those kind of Indians were migrant settlers here, most of them have left or pass on. That is why the bread on bicycle is gone too. This is an unique Mee Siam ( not mai hum).

Anyone know why it is called Mee SIAM??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The last Indian Mee Siam stall that I know was in Golden Shoe car park Hawker Centre. It was the real thing.

Right hand side star case, third floor, reach there turn left, that kind of Indian Mee Siam is gone, that fellow retired ages. My colleague & me, used to eat there, extra mee hoon plus gravy ( now NEA wants you to request less pay more!), top up with a tau kua, after eating take, go back office, hide in the conference room & tidur till lunch time is over!!. Really delicious...yummy! sedap!

Why is it called MEE SIAM? any idea? You go Siam, they tell you, what "Mess Siam"??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No Sir, it was the Hilton hotel.

A week after the gruesome discovery we met with Ewe Hin at his cousin's house in Queen Astrid Park to play Gin Rummy.

Sorry, I still have a lingering memory it was Hyatt..ok! since you know the people involved, I have erred. I know someone who lives in Queen Astrid Park too...hmmm

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry, I still have a lingering memory it was Hyatt..ok! since you know the people involved, I have erred. I know someone who lives in Queen Astrid Park too...hmmm
Robert Kwan lives there too? Used to see his Range Rover turning into the road there

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
A pilot friend told me if his flight gauges fail theb he can do his flight calculations using only a slide rule and his breitling watch? He got smoke me bo?

Yes, its possible, on some models of Brietling, u don't need the slide rule. I am looking to buy a Breitling myself, so I have been doing my research. Its for commercial airline pilot. On a fighter plane, can't be done, u need your eyes outside the cockpit.