• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Something is horribly wrong with this cuntry...

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some of you have not gotten my point. I'm saying that in a decent country, a person who works hard in a normal job should have enough savings for retirement and enjoyment, regardless of whether they are entrepreneural. What's wrong with someone who does not play in stocks, or makes a profit from selling his HDB flat??

Have you forgotten about the older generation of sinkees who have little education and can't make 10,000 a month and have no ability to go into business? This isn't about ability, this is about a country needing to give a decent living to normal people who work hard.

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some of you have not gotten my point. I'm saying that in a decent country, a person who works hard in a normal job should have enough savings for retirement and enjoyment, regardless of whether they are entrepreneural. What's wrong with someone who does not play in stocks, or makes a profit from selling his HDB flat??

Have you forgotten about the older generation of sinkees who have little education and can't make 10,000 a month and have no ability to go into business? This isn't about ability, this is about a country needing to give a decent living to normal people who work hard.

too many people do not understand the power of compassion, , even many sinkies who ran to foreign cuntries do not understand this. A man msut be willing to give away his hard earned wealth to the less privileged, for wealth and fame are like passing clouds

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The system is built to help the average Singaporean build their nest egg and earn an income in a different way:

1. CPF: Compulsory contribution. Build a nest egg. Collect monthly withdrawalsfrom the minimum sum or income from annuity. Surplus is not given to oter Singaporeans, it is given to your children when you die.

2. HDB: Upgrade your flat from 3-4-5 room (though now, most Singaporeans start from 4 room and will not upgrade to Executive flat or EC). When your family moves away, downgrade and live off the earnings. Usually fetches $100k to $300k.

Many Singaoreans who live that way do not earn $10k a month. In fact, they may not even be earning $5k a month (their 5 room flat was paid largely out of the surplus from their HDB-subsidised four room flat).

The beauty of this system is that the money which yours is not given to other people on grounds of their being "needy". Instead, the money remains your children's to keep.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
too many people do not understand the power of compassion, , even many sinkies who ran to foreign cuntries do not understand this. A man msut be willing to give away his hard earned wealth to the less privileged, for wealth and fame are like passing clouds

Only builds a dependent society. Wipe out all welfare and in 4-5 generations, you have a chance of a totally self-sufficient society.

jw5

Loyal

angry one
There's a serious lack of empathy in this country.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
angry one
There's a serious lack of empathy in this country.

This is not a question about welfare. The USA isn't a welfare country but people who work hard can get their big house, get ahead and make enough for a good retirement. (maybe not in recent years anymore but they'll recover).

It's about meritocracy, reward for hard work, social mobility and most of all fair wages that don't force you to live like a pauper.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

We were born without riches, and when we leave, we leave our money back on this earth.

So, as while we are around, its better to let your money serve others, rather than let you be served by the money, and be controlled by money. Control your money and not let be controlled by money. If we get this, then we will understand why is it better to be generous, than to be selfish.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Working hard does not guarantee you a comfy life unless you work hard in UK and retire/idle in Batam.. U may have a decent increment of say 3% pa (if only ya lucky!) and get a inflation of 5%.. you can only gain if you spend lesser than the year before.. However, it is highly unlikely due to higher (human) expectation.

Blaming the govt/anyone for one's failure, is not going to help. If you dont like the place -GO. If you find the cost too high - CUT DOWN. If you cant leave - THINK WITHIN.

No one will shout WOLF in a jungle full of predators and tigers.. The strongest survives. In long run, the whiner will always be a loser.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The system is built to help the average Singaporean build their nest egg and earn an income in a different way:

1. CPF: Compulsory contribution. Build a nest egg. Collect monthly withdrawalsfrom the minimum sum or income from annuity. Surplus is not given to oter Singaporeans, it is given to your children when you die.

At least this surplus could be withdrawn by me now when I give up the Sinkee citizenship soon and could be used to pay for the townhouse that I'm going to buy here in Oz. Without this, I'll be a bit jialat. So in this aspect, I guess I've got to thank Lee Kwan Yew after all. :biggrin:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not a question about welfare. The USA isn't a welfare country but people who work hard can get their big house, get ahead and make enough for a good retirement. (maybe not in recent years anymore but they'll recover).

It's about meritocracy, reward for hard work, social mobility and most of all fair wages that don't force you to live like a pauper.

You can make it in the US and not in Sinkeeland because the US unlike Sinkeeland does not operate on the whims and fancies of 1 despot.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am supporting the chinese local economy by spending my life here... :o:o

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Working hard does not guarantee you a comfy life unless you work hard in UK and retire/idle in Batam.. U may have a decent increment of say 3% pa (if only ya lucky!) and get a inflation of 5%.. you can only gain if you spend lesser than the year before.. However, it is highly unlikely due to higher (human) expectation.

Blaming the govt/anyone for one's failure, is not going to help. If you dont like the place -GO. If you find the cost too high - CUT DOWN. If you cant leave - THINK WITHIN.

No one will shout WOLF in a jungle full of predators and tigers.. The strongest survives. In long run, the whiner will always be a loser.

The irony is that US is an even more competitive place and a black man, born to a single mum, was able to compete to get into Columbia University and then get into Harvard and now, after competing with firstly Chicago politicians, and then Washington establishment politicians, to become the first black American President.

If Obama can compete in the real tumbling situation that is US politics to become President at age 47, then why can't any ordinary person do the same?

In this Darwinist society it was said that we are meritocratic enough to see an ordinary person rise up through the ranks etc etc etc and make it in society. The fact is if you weren't born rich, if you don't have connections or hadn't had any luck, you're stuck. No matter what.

If you're a son of a butcher, the government expects you to remain as a son of a butcher. If you're son of a taxi driver, you're likely to remain viewed as one. And if you are a girl, married and having a child, good luck to you, coz you're gonna get sacked.

In the end, in this social Darwinist society, where the supposedly strongest survive, no matter how ordinary people try to punch their way through, its the well connected and rich who rise up to the top levels of management- whether have they done anything in substance or not.

In the US, where politics is not managed, Barack Obama managed to be President. In Singapore, unless you're a Lee, you will never be Prime Minister.

If that's a sign that Singapore's better than the US, or is that Singapore is more competitive, or more progressive, or that the strongest do survive and rise to the top, then I think you need to change your specs. If not its time you got a new pair.