• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat My maiden trip to Tokyo - where should I stay ?

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am doing research now based on whatever I gathered in this thread.

I want to go Metropolitan Government Building, and access to top floor is free. Maybe can catch a glimpse of Mt Fuji.

Go download navitime japan travel app and you can travel like a local. Got bus train shinkansen info all in 1. Very useful.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
That place is near Shinjuku Washington hotel. A short walk from Sunroute. Go out hotel turn left, pass McDonald's, reached big intersection, turn left and walk all the way. It's nothing fanciful up there. Pretty old building but it's OK. You will see a campsite of elderly homeless around the grounds of the that building.
Most importantly, up there can see Mt Fuji or not ? Nabeh, go Japan cannot see Mt Fuji is like go China never go Great Wall like that.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
@Bonut .. one of the loveliest thing to do in Tokyo is to take a walk at Meiji Shrine gardens in the morning around 7am. I usually go for a run in there and it's extremely invigorating for the soul. You can take a train to Harajuku and the entrance to the garden is near the exit.

Another place for a good morning run is the imperial palace area near Tokyo station. You can beo chiobus there when having a morning run. Lots of expats run there too..:biggrin:
Really hope to find a cheap and good hotel near Tokyo station since every damn shuttle bus or train goes there. I prefer to take a bus and enjoy the scenery from Narita airport to Tokyo station, no need to drag luggage up and down escalators hunting for the right entrance and exit.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Really hope to find a cheap and good hotel near Tokyo station since every damn shuttle bus or train goes there. I prefer to take a bus and enjoy the scenery from Narita airport to Tokyo station, no need to drag luggage up and down escalators hunting for the right entrance and exit.
Not much of scenery even if you take Airport Express Bus. Both sides of the expressway from Narita to Tokyo all trees. When you are reaching Tokyo, you see buildings but blocked by sound barriers of the expressways. Do check AEB timing to sync with your flight arrival. They have an English website. Tokyo station area is not as "vibrant" as Shinjuku, buts that's personal preference ... :smile:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Most importantly, up there can see Mt Fuji or not ? Nabeh, go Japan cannot see Mt Fuji is like go China never go Great Wall like that.
Can. See a tiny dot. If clouds block, simi said also cannot see :biggrin:
In fact, when your plane is descending into Narita, if you are lucky, you can see Fuji from your window. Arriving choose left seat window. Departing choose right seat window. I think I may still have a picture taken from the plane. Of I find it, I will post. Just need to do some censorship...Lol :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can. See a tiny dot. If clouds block, simi said also cannot see :biggrin:
In fact, when your plane is descending into Narita, if you are lucky, you can see Fuji from your window. Arriving choose left seat window. Departing choose right seat window. I think I may still have a picture taken from the plane. Of I find it, I will post. Just need to do some censorship...Lol :biggrin:
one of my most memorable trips in jippun is taking a ferry on lake ashi in the hakone area. but spoiled by hongkies in the tour group. they talked with an annoying low ses canto accent too much, in fact non-stop that jap tour guide rolled her eyes. they kept interrupting and heckling her with their private (and pubic) arrogant and boastful conversations talking out loud as though they own victoria prick, oops peak. could hear them boasting that victoria prick was more beautiful than mount fuji. f*cking shameless hongkies. :rolleyes:
1868__1427774231.jpg

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Would it be better to fly to Haneda airport instead?
haneda is hands down the better choice. narita is too far out and bus may get into traffic jam going into tokyo depending on time of day. nothing much to see on the road from narita to tokyo. haneda is right in tokyo’s metropolitan area.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haneda hands down better but I dont think budget airlines fly there and usually there is a smAll premium to pay for flight but u save time when travelling from haneda to Tokyo..

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would it be better to fly to Haneda airport instead?

yes agree with eatshit. haneda is a lot more convenient, around half the time (45min) compared to narita (90min) to get to shinjuku. but i think flights to haneda might be more expensive. but narita has a direct airport bus to sunroute hotel if you are staying there. super convenient, coz no need to change trains or walk with your luggage. just sit on the bus until your stop directly at hotel door step. might be less intimidating for 1st time trip to tokyo. haneda connects to shinjuku by local subway, not as tourist friendly if you're the sort who needs lots of help. but no problem for independent travelers.

if you're a fan of anime, i highly recommend a trip to the Studio Ghibli Museum @ Mitaka. there's a direct train there from Shinjuku station to Mitaka. But you need to buy the museum tickets in advance using an online service or go to the local lawson convenience store and buy from the ticket kiosk if you can figure it out. the gift shop at ghibli museum is paradise for Ghibli fans.
http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

make a trip to the tsukiji fish market to get cheap and good sushi/sashimi. and if you happen to find the ONE solitary stall in the fish market selling stewed beef don, you must try it. the sauce for the stewed beef don looks like its been brewing in the same cast iron pot for 20+ years... the story goes that the market workers were sick of eating fish and this beef stall popped up to fill that niche. its been there ever since.

wish you lots of fun and adventure in Tokyo! wonderful city to visit.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Is Haneda located at a particular subway station ?
If you fly to Haneda, book a cab. About sgd $80. Door to door. Save the hassle of taking the train and changing trains. Don't forget you are carrying luggage.

If you want to take AEB, then you have to be careful of the AEB timing and arrival time of your flight. Check the AEB website.and make sure that there is a service. Just in case your flight lands at odd hours..

Last edited:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vietnam Airlines the cheapest, but KNN transit too damn long. Pass !

Is Garuda a good airline ? Got a lot of keling kia or not ?