• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat My maiden trip to Tokyo - where should I stay ?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I rather go motorshow and watch racequeens.:inlove:
Haha...Me treat automobiles like an object to bring me from point A to point B. Can't get myself to have an interest in them. I can't help you on that. You have to ask our resident Hydrotherapy King. :biggrin:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha...Me treat automobiles like an object to bring me from point A to point B. Can't get myself to have an interest in them. I can't help you on that. You have to ask our resident Hydrotherapy King. :biggrin:
Neither am I interested in automobiles. I have had enough of Thai and Taiwan racequeens. It's Japanese ones that I have yet to experience.

He is not hydrotherapy king; he is Tham Luang diver.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I also want to check out the goods that Japanese stores sell, stuff that you can't find elsewhere.

The best store (in my personal view) under 1 roof consisting of 8 floors is Tokyu Hands Shinjuku mega store. Opposite Sunroute Hotel, next to Takashimaya. You can get to see lots, I mean really lots of stuff there. If you are buying, accumulate your purchases together above the VAT amount before you pay. You can spend half a day in that place...And slowly but surely examining the stuff they sell.

Kitchen stuff is a one kilometre road in Asakusa district where both sides of the road sells all kitchen and food service stuff. Extremely interesting place to spend half a day too. The nearest station is Tawaramachi on the yellow Ginza line. Plan your trip there with visits to Tokyo Skytree, Asakusa shrine etc.

Amekoyo at Ueno station is another mid ses shopping street ... Nice area for a walk too.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh don't forget Shibuya, and that famous CNN crossing where all car lanes stop for pedestrians. .. lol :biggrin:
Can give me an estimate of food prices or not ? In Japan, where does one normally eat ? Got foodcourt or go to those small little restaurants like we usually see in Japanese dramas?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Can give me an estimate of food prices or not ? In Japan, where does one normally eat ? Got foodcourt or go to those small little restaurants like we usually see in Japanese dramas?
It isn't expensive. I don't eat at food courts. I just visit small little restaurants when I am there. Experience those izakaya too. If it is your first time in Tokyo, you should try a couple if nice affordable restaurant. Tsunahachi (original shop in Shinjuku near isetan) for tempura is an example. You wouldn't regret it. Places for good ramen are plenty too like Tokyo station ramen street. Make sure you have all the maps bookmark on Google so that you wouldnt be lost.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
It isn't expensive. I don't eat at food courts. I just visit small little restaurants when I am there. Experience those izakaya too. If it is your first time in Tokyo, you should try a couple if nice affordable restaurant. Tsunahachi (original shop in Shinjuku near isetan) for tempura is an example. You wouldn't regret it. Places for good ramen are plenty too like Tokyo station ramen street. Make sure you have all the maps bookmark on Google so that you wouldnt be lost.
KNN, that means how much per meal ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love this type of cafe in Japan:

295003_14091811040022226216.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when in japan i love the simple traditional breakfast of lice, egg, vege, miso soup and natto. very healthy and shiok. try it. natto over lice is wholesomely great.
sam_5524.jpg

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best store (in my personal view) under 1 roof consisting of 8 floors is Tokyu Hands Shinjuku mega store. Opposite Sunroute Hotel, next to Takashimaya. You can get to see lots, I mean really lots of stuff there. If you are buying, accumulate your purchases together above the VAT amount before you pay. You can spend half a day in that place...And slowly but surely examining the stuff they sell.

Kitchen stuff is a one kilometre road in Asakusa district where both sides of the road sells all kitchen and food service stuff. Extremely interesting place to spend half a day too. The nearest station is Tawaramachi on the yellow Ginza line. Plan your trip there with visits to Tokyo Skytree, Asakusa shrine etc.

Amekoyo at Ueno station is another mid ses shopping street ... Nice area for a walk too.

Taking a train to saitama (not opm) is also a great option cos of the giant aeon there and the rather scenic route

democracy my butt

Alfrescian
Loyal
After Heat Waves killed close to 100 & hospitalized 12000 in Japan comes Typhoon, still want to go Japan? Japs must die! After typhoon it must be Earthquake Tsunami & Mount Fool-Chee(bye) Eruption.

https://hk.news.yahoo.com/外遊注意-雲雀-襲日-14往來港日航班受阻-055400340.html

【外遊注意】「雲雀」襲日 14往來港日航班受阻

星島日報

12.8k 人追蹤

2018年7月28日 下午1:54

20180728a135535.jpg

日本氣象廳預測「雲雀」最快晚上於日本西部或中部登陸。網圖
【星島日報報道】強颱風「雲雀」逼近日本,將在東京與靜岡縣之間登陸。受風暴影響,至少14班往來港日的航班受阻。
香港快運兩班原定今日往來大阪關西的航班取消;8班今日往來香港與東京、名古屋的航班延誤或延期。
國泰航空今日前往名古屋的CX532航班延至明日起飛;原定明日由名古屋返港的CX533航班延誤。香港航空兩班來往東京成田的航班亦延遲。
日本氣象廳預測,「雲雀」今午至晚上最接近伊豆群島,最快今晚於日本西部或中部登陸。

[External Travel Note] "Lark" hits the day 14 flights to and from Hong Kong are blocked
[Sing Tao Daily]
Sing Tao Daily
12.8k person tracking
July 28, 2018 1:54 PM
The Japan Meteorological Agency predicted that "The Skylark" landed in western or central Japan as soon as possible. Net map

[Sing Tao Daily News] Strong typhoon "Lark" is approaching Japan and will land between Tokyo and Shizuoka Prefecture. Affected by the storm, at least 14 flights to and from Hong Kong were blocked.

Two flights of Hong Kong Express are scheduled to cancel flights to Osaka Kansai today; 8 flights to and from Hong Kong, Tokyo and Nagoya are delayed or postponed.

Cathay Pacific Airways today flew to CX532 in Nagoya and departed tomorrow. The CX533 flight from Nagoya to Hong Kong was scheduled to be delayed tomorrow. Two flights from Hong Kong Airlines to and from Narita, Tokyo were also delayed.

The Japan Meteorological Agency predicts that "Lark" will be closest to the Izu Islands this afternoon to night, and will land in western or central Japan as soon as possible.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...oon-landfall-expected-overnight/#.W1wPNfa-mKk
You May Also Like
‘Are you serious, God? An Asian dude? Really?’

The Japanese and love — more complicated than you think

Japan’s newest bullet train makes media debut

Bicultural Japanese baby names can be double the trouble

National
Disaster-hit regions go on alert as strong typhoon approaches Japan; landfall expected overnight

Kyodo, AFP-JIJI

Japan is bracing for heavy rain and winds from a strong typhoon approaching Honshu from the east on Saturday, with landfall likely in the Tokai region in the early hours of Sunday.
Coming less than a month after torrential rains and floods devastated western Japan, Typhoon Jongdari is forecast to dump intense rain across wide areas of western Japan, the Meteorological Agency said. People in disaster-hit areas were warned to be vigilant for further landslides and flooding.

At a news conference on Saturday, Minako Sakurai, head of the Meteorological Agency’s weather consultation center, urged members of the public who are called on to evacuate to do so as soon as they can, as it can be difficult to reach shelters when it gets dark amid strong rain and winds.
“We want people especially in the downpour-hit regions to pay close attention to evacuation advisories,” Sakurai said.
Areas along the Pacific coast may see rainfall of more than 80 millimeters per hour, the agency said.
Transportation has also been affected, with airlines canceling some flights Saturday, including those connecting to the Kinki region.
Maintaining its strength, the typhoon is packing wind gusts of nearly 180 kph, according to the agency. It also warned of high waves.
As of noon, the season’s 12th typhoon was moving over the Pacific Ocean about 200 km east of Hachijo Island in the Izu island chain, tracking northwest at a speed of 45 kph. It had an atmospheric pressure of 970 hectopascals at its center.
The agency forecast that after the typhoon makes landfall, it is likely to gradually slow down and take an unusual turn to the west.
Typhoons typically approach the Japanese archipelago from the southwest, and many follow a southwest-to-northeast course due partly to the effect of the westerly jet stream and the high pressure system over the Pacific.
The unusual course has prompted Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to issue a rare warning about the weekend storm, particularly for those affected by the massive flooding in western Japan earlier this month that killed 224 people and destroyed tens of thousands of homes.
“We have not issued evacuation advisories, but we are fully ready 24 hours a day to evacuate residents,” said Tadahiko Mizushima, an official of Okayama Prefecture. “We are paying special attention to the areas where restoration of river banks is under way, as it would be the first heavy rain since the disaster.”
Officials are particularly cautious after the deadly downpours because many people did not heed evacuation orders and became trapped. Some critics said the orders were issued too late.
The country has also been gripped by a heat wave, which immediately followed the rain disaster and was itself declared a natural disaster by the weather agency. Extreme heat pushed the mercury to a record high 41.1 degrees Celsius on Monday and claimed dozens of lives, mostly elderly people suffering from heatstroke.
In the 24-hour period through 6 a.m. Sunday, 400 mm of rain may fall in the Kanto-Koshin and Tokai regions, while the Kinki and Chugoku regions could see 250 mm and 100 mm, respectively. The maximum wind speed through Sunday is likely to be 126 kph, the agency said.