• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB for home stay?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For far too long these issues on HDB had been discussed till death.

1. HDB should not be sold in the open market and should rightfully be sold to HDB based on its current value. It’s not a commodity for speculation but a basic need for her citizens.

HDB would need a lot of extra cash and loans to buy back HDB flats at the current value. I'm not sure if HDB would have billions of spare cash lying around. There are such property companies around like Zillow who buy private property from homeowners, hold it in their inventory for a while before reselling it other people. It's risky business.

Besides, based on current value, BTO buyers still get to cash out well if they sell their BTO flats from Queenstown or Clementi after the MOP.

2. HDB should rightfully for home stay and those who wants to upgrade ought to give up the HDB and “move up the ladder”, so to speak. No owning of second property should be allowed if you hold on to a HDB flat.

That rule has been in place for many years already. Overwhelming majority of sinkies living in HDB flats do not own a second property. The issue is more tricky when sinkies marry PRs and form a family unit with them in Singapore. There is a possibility that those PRs may have direct interests in property back in their home countries.

with the removal of these speculative and investive elements of HDB, would the prices of future HDB be sky high? still need cooling measures? :coffee::coffee::coffee:

HDB property prices rise over time because it is generally attractive to live and work in Singapore. Oppies just hate to admit that fact.

It's an open secret the residential property prices are much lower in JB. Yet, there is no overwhelming demand for JB condos or landed property. That tells you a lot of what people on the ground think about the prospects of Johor and jiuhu.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You own the 99-year lease. That flat still belongs to HDB once the lease is up.

99 years is literally 99 years. Oppies are making 99-year lease sound like it is a 2 year rental lease. Perhaps you should get a more realistic perspective of what 99 years really means.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reminds me of the Patek ad.

"You never actually own a HDB, you merely look after it for the next generation."

Difference is HDB is worth $0 after 99 years but the Patek is still worth a few hundred grand.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Reminds me of the Patek ad.

"You never actually own a HDB, you merely look after it for the next generation."

Difference is HDB is worth $0 after 99 years but the Patek is still worth a few hundred grand.
Does a Patek cost half a mil?
Just checked, got woh...

Last edited:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does a Patek cost half a mil?
Just checked, got woh...
I've never understood the appeal of a Patek. It looks old. Instantly ages whoever's wearing it. They're not like Rolexes that are supposed to be durable and everyday wear friendly. Some kinda prima donna watch. I can't stand prima donnas... :confused:

@glockman. you have an opinion on this?

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
CCPee learnt from Piss And Poop and successfully replicated this 接盘侠游戏 in Tiongland.
did tiongland learn from PAP or the other way around? I was under the impression that there's a tendency for commies to nationalize all property and then disburse them as lodgings as long as they obeyed the state.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I've never understood the appeal of a Patek. It looks old. Instantly ages whoever's wearing it. They're not like Rolexes that are supposed to be durable and everyday wear friendly. Some kinda prima donna watch. I can't stand prima donnas... :confused:

@glockman. you have an opinion on this?
A patek is high horology. Very well made, understated elegance, and they are gorgeous watches. Rolexes are like mercedes, Pateks are like rolls royces. I like the Aquanaut, but still waiting to strike TOTO or 4D first. :biggrin:

PATEKMCCARTNEY_MAIM.jpg

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
A patek is high horology. Very well made, understated elegance, and they are gorgeous watches. Rolexes are like mercedes, Pateks are like rolls royces. I like the Aquanaut, but still waiting to strike TOTO or 4D first. :biggrin:

PATEKMCCARTNEY_MAIM.jpg
looks appropriate on me when I'm 70+ .... I think a Rolls Royce is pretty darn useless. :laugh:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
did tiongland learn from PAP or the other way around? I was under the impression that there's a tendency for commies to nationalize all property and then disburse them as lodgings as long as they obeyed the state.

chinkland sells their apartments for 70 year lease. In Beijing and Shanghai, 70 year lease apartments. Housing costs range from around S$900 to S$1800 psf in Shanghai.

In Singapore, HDB resale flats are selling for about S$550 psf.

Oppies still think housing prices in Singapore is unrealistically high?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
chinkland sells their apartments for 70 year lease. In Beijing and Shanghai, 70 year lease apartments. Housing costs range from around S$900 to S$1800 psf in Shanghai.

In Singapore, HDB resale flats are selling for about S$550 psf.

Oppies still think housing prices in Singapore is unrealistically high?
Chinkland has plenty of land and even more vacant buildings. Sinkiestan got what? swim in the sea?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deng Xiaoping came to stinkapore in 1978 and has 4 countries to learn from on how to squeeze your people dry. After much deliberation, it is concluded that stinkapore fits the bill perfectly. After all, it's more appropriate from one dictator to learn from another.
If you read Chinese, you can slowly digest the articles below.

http://cpc.people.com.cn/n1/2018/0828/c69113-30255620.html

https://opinion.huanqiu.com/article/9CaKrnJEyWu

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB must be allowed to be resold in the open market, especially for male Singapore citizen as it is considered an entitlement privilege for serving your National Service for the country. I have always found that those who are against this are themselves to be blamed for not taking advantage of your Singapore citizenship's privilege. Besides, a Singapore citizen is only allowed to buy new HDB flats twice in his/her lifetime and the second purchase even has to be an upgraded HDB. This is already sufficient restriction. Enough said.