• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

珍远记 XO Fishead soup at Balestier

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All are the 'real deal'...it's individual franchisee system so standards might vary....
Beware there are copycats as well...I kena one called 香港街珍宝记...
The real mccoy's signature 三捞河粉 also good

now there are so many canton zi char shops which claim to be from Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji.

and the signature dishes are always prawn paste chicken and XO fish head bee hoon.

so which shop is the real deal??

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All are the 'real deal'...it's individual franchisee system so standards might vary....
Beware there are copycats as well...I kena one called 香港街珍宝记...
The real mccoy's signature 三捞河粉 also good

Fully agreed, 三捞河粉 used to be my fav, but now you cant find a good ones, the fish slices are pathetic, the proportion between horfun, tow gay, and fishes are wrong. The last time I had a good 1 was at Amoy hawker centre basement 1 zhi char......

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now there are so many canton zi char shops which claim to be from Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji.

and the signature dishes are always prawn paste chicken and XO fish head bee hoon.

so which shop is the real deal??
I might be wrong. Believe the original Hong Kong street started in Commonwealth aka 16 storey at a small coffee shop near the market. The famous chicken wing is also around there.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I might be wrong. Believe the original Hong Kong street started in Commonwealth aka 16 storey at a small coffee shop near the market. The famous chicken wing is also around there.

You are darn right bro !.But the wait was damned jiaLat.StiLL remembers every customer wouLd want the extra serving of fried pork Lard that comes free.:wink:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maybe old timers can confirm if there used to be a 珍记 back in HK street because I can't recall.
The early first few branches indeed pop up around same time in Queenstown area....besides the one you mentioned there is one in alexandra village opposite AlA opposite alexandra hospital and another in mei ling street

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe old timers can confirm if there used to be a 珍记 back in HK street because I can't recall.
The early first few branches indeed pop up around same time in Queenstown area....besides the one you mentioned there is one in alexandra village opposite AlA opposite alexandra hospital and another in mei ling street
Both the AIA and Mei Ling street opened after the 16 storey one. IMO, the AIA branch seems to be closest in terms of cooking to the one at 16 storey (could be due to the chef/cooks). There is also another one in Bukit Merah Central, opposite hawker centre. That one can give a miss.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Food note: prawn paste chicken is an original sinkie dish invented by 黎三元酒家 located in original food street Murray Terrace

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both the AIA and Mei Ling street opened after the 16 storey one. IMO, the AIA branch seems to be closest in terms of cooking to the one at 16 storey (could be due to the chef/cooks). There is also another one in Bukit Merah Central, opposite hawker centre. That one can give a miss.

Thanks for the history update.
You are still sinkie queenstown boy at heart though you are 1800 km away :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow! I very jialat (toraman) now. After going through this thread, feel super hungry. :(

Prawn paste chicken is easy dish to whip up....prawn paste can get in LOS...the secret is to add rose wine....and the 珍记 version uses butter too...

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
damn you, describe the chicken until so delicious, damn hungry now......

Easy to prepare la...you can try doing it with your canton steam fish this evening.
But for best results i use only the mid joint of chicken wings and marinate them overnight in sealed Tupperware.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Easy to prepare la...you can try doing it with your canton steam fish this evening.
But for best results i use only the mid joint of chicken wings and marinate them overnight in sealed Tupperware.
Hehehe. Another food expert spotted! There's one very good Issan style Chicken Wing in Sin City (Similar to Har Jeong Gai). Think I will have Chicken Wings and Khao Niow (glutinious rice) for dinner tonight. Will post pics later.