• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Tharman Shanmugaratnam support thread

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the interest of achieving democracy and fairness, this thread has been established to showcase the president we want but don’t deserve. Kinda like Batman.

We will start off with an informal quick fire to and fro Q&A which shows his quick mind and interests beyond politics.

Reactions: jw5

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://tharman.sg/

My Fellow Singaporeans,​

I have dedicated my entire working life to the service of Singaporeans. Nothing could have been more meaningful to me.

I have been humbled by the requests I have received in recent months, from Singaporeans from all quarters, to stand in the coming Presidential Election.

I believe I can now best serve Singapore not in politics, but as President, standing above politics. I have therefore resigned from the PAP, and as Senior Minister and all my other positions in Government to run in the Election.

I have made this decision because the challenges our country faces will grow. The Elected Presidency will be critical.

The challenges are not merely about today. We are in a time of transition, both in Singapore and internationally. We are moving into a new era.

The world is increasingly divided and unstable. Global crises – economic, geopolitical and environmental – are already breaking out more often. They will test all countries, and especially smaller countries like Singapore.

At home in Singapore, we are becoming a democracy with more diverse views. I regard this as inevitable and healthy, and have said so repeatedly. But our real challenge as Singaporeans is to ensure that this diversity of views does not lead us to a more divided society, like many others. We must be a democracy with more space for different views and civil society, but a strong centre that gives confidence in the future.

A President for a New
and More Challenging Era​

If I am fortunate enough to be elected by my fellow Singaporeans, I pledge to bring my full experience and capabilities – on the ground, nationally, and internationally – to serve as your President for this new and more challenging era.

Mr-Tharman-and-residents-wefie-1.jpg

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tharman is some one even oppies would volt for. PAP has certainly out done u oppies this time! :laugh:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think those people that never come to forums, never tcss in coffeeshops kind all will vote for him. This is a big big group of people either at home or walking around shopping malls parks markets etc everywhere they are.
Like what @LITTLEREDDOT said, over optimistic for tkl because of the Internet effect.
Sad truth.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think those people that never come to forums, never tcss in coffeeshops kind all will vote for him. This is a big big group of people either at home or walking around shopping malls parks markets etc everywhere they are.
Like what @LITTLEREDDOT said, over optimistic for tkl because of the Internet effect.
Sad truth.
My current prediction:
Tharma - 50%
Tkl -43%
Nks - 7%

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The internet opposition brigade is only a small percentage of the voters.
The heartlanders, the hard core PAP supporters, the civil servants, the seniors - all those who prefer the solemnity and security of a PAP-backed President, will vote for Tharman.
In 2 days' time, the NTUC labour union and the People's Association will announce their endorsement of Tharman.

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/ak...an-shanmugaranam-for-presidency.345588/page-2

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tharman needs to make it clear in the name of transparency if he contest out of his own will or did PAP /Gov asked him to do so?

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
tharman is after all a pap person
maybe likeable but eventually he will cover up for pap.people because he wouldn't bite the hands that have once fed him so well
his duty is to serve pap not singaporeans

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Important to build culture of respect and compassion, deepen skills: Tharman​

202308207347241520230820-ga36824.jpg

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam (centre) at a dialogue at Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery in Bright Hill Road, Bishan, on Aug 20. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
Syarafana.png

Syarafana Shafeeq
UPDATED

42 MINS AGO

FacebookTwitter

SINGAPORE – Presidential hopeful Tharman Shanmugaratnam said on Sunday that he will support all efforts and initiatives by organisations that promote a culture of respect in Singapore, if he is elected.
The former senior minister was speaking to an audience of more than 100 Buddhist leaders and young people in a dialogue at Singapore’s largest Buddhist temple, the Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery.
He said that while Singapore has made good material progress, its people must now focus on compassion, care and respect for one another in the next phase of its development.
Respect is very important for the poor and elderly, different religions, races and cultures, he said. “Deep respect, not just... tolerate each other (or) live with each other.”
He added: “We must come closer to each other in the next 20 years.”
Mr Tharman took questions from the floor on topics such as religion, mental health and leadership.

An audience member brought up the issue of young people losing interest in spirituality, in a society that is focused on material success.

Mr Tharman said that Singapore has progressed very far, noting that people were very poor in the past and wanted to work hard to improve their standard of living. They wanted to have higher incomes, to buy their own homes, and for their children to do better – and they have succeeded.
“Now, we are at a stage where I think we can have more balance. And this must be not just in the mind, but we need to make some changes.”

Stressing that he was speaking as a private citizen and not a presidential candidate – as the latter should not talk about policy – he said that Singapore’s education system has too much pressure and has it too early, and he would like to see children have more time to develop in, and explore, other aspects of life.

“It’s not good for the children... And because they focus so much on the examinations, they also don’t spend time on other things.”
When asked about his thoughts on the role of religion in society, he said that in societies where people do not have some spiritual beliefs, they may be more materialistic and individualistic.

He said: “The spiritual side of a society is also a way in which people feel there’s some relationship with each other.”
One may be a carpenter or factory worker, and another a professor, but all meet together in the same room as equals and remain close.
He added that there is a social dimension to spirituality that brings people together, and this is important as it creates social strength.
202308203189029620230820-ga37323_4.jpg

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam (second from left) and his wife Jane Yumiko Ittogi leaving Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery at Bright Hill after a dialogue on Aug 20. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO]

One young person asked for advice on navigating uncertainty and anxiety in today’s economic climate amid pandemics and silent recessions. He said that his peers worry about keeping their jobs.

Mr Tharman said it is important for people in Singapore to develop deeper skills and expertise in what they are good at.
“It is a very human thing – when you are good at something, you can display it to others... People have to concentrate now on just deepening their skills.
“Never mind what their examination grades were – once you start working, you have to put effort into deepening your skills.”
It is important to engage in constant learning and trying to understand something, Mr Tharman added. In the process, deepening skills will become a way of life, and it is a satisfying way of life.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The more you listen to Tharman, the more you realize that he is not only a ultra smooth eloquent speaker but also a Talk Cock King...
This kind is the most dangerous. Talk til you feel so shiok under his spell, but nothing gets changed for past 22 years...LOL