• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Post What You Have For Re-Union Dinner

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For this occasion it's the same every year - Steam Boat. 'Cept that of late, Red Wine seems to be present with the meal. If I had my say, I'd rather order a pizza.

Cheers!

he he he I don't know why but always think that host of steam boat is lazy to cook. I hate to go steam boat dinner at people's home never delicious. If I wanted steam boat I will eat out like MK here in Thailand. For me reunion dinner better to have home cooked food. You're right have steam boat I also prefer to have cold pizza with cold beer.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not gone to add, others offer mee siam, laksa, popiah and other kind of food with local flavour like freshly bbq satay. It will be very boring to visit relatives and all of them offer the same old tired tib bits.

Our society nowadays avail us everthing all the time, all through the year - as long as one is able to pay for it. So these auspicicous occasions should offer us something unique for it occasion. Everything on offer is available throughout the year - so what is so SPECIAL about CNY other than Lo Hei, Ang Pow, and gambling sessions. You and I can get meesiam, laksa, even kueh pai tee anytime.

It is about time the Chinese community voice out together for the reintroduction of firecrackers. CHINESE INVENTED GUNPOWDER!!! It will be nice if descendents of the Dragon Emperor get to light up some teeny-weeny bangers to start the New Year. Not the high flying fireworks, just some bangers at community centres and public courtyards - controlled and under supervision. For fourteen days a year. That will make CNY, CNY.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
he he he I don't know why but always think that host of steam boat is lazy to cook. I hate to go steam boat dinner at people's home never delicious. If I wanted steam boat I will eat out like MK here in Thailand. For me reunion dinner better to have home cooked food. You're right have steam boat I also prefer to have cold pizza with cold beer.

Bud, I don`t call the shots during the festive time - it is the wife, AND old folks preference. Steam Boat is a very communal way of sharing a meal, and the old folks want it. To me, it is hot, sweaty, troublesome, no fun, and most of all - boiled food is bland!!!!! And messy!!!

This year, I suggested ordering a suckling pig, roast duck, and the family and prepare the fish maw soup - but as usual, in our democratic society, I had to yield to popular choice. Steam Boat. Fuck democracy.

Cheers!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
. . . . . . . . . .It is about time the Chinese community voice out together for the reintroduction of firecrackers. CHINESE INVENTED GUNPOWDER!!! It will be nice if descendents of the Dragon Emperor get to light up some teeny-weeny bangers to start the New Year. Not the high flying fireworks, just some bangers at community centres and public courtyards - controlled and under supervision. For fourteen days a year. That will make CNY, CNY.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Cheers I damn lucky over here banned but still no problem to buy and let go. Bought 16 of these babies for letting go this Sunday and next week.

Photo Jan 19, 7 26 19 PM.jpg

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheers I damn lucky over here banned but still no problem to buy and let go. Bought 16 of these babies for letting go this Sunday and next week.

View attachment 3539

Excuse my language, you are one lucky piece of ?&(*(!!!! Banned or not, who the f#?& cares!!!!

Wish I were in your shoes right now. Itès going to smell good!

Gong Hee Fatt Choy!!!

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our society nowadays avail us everthing all the time, all through the year - as long as one is able to pay for it. So these auspicicous occasions should offer us something unique for it occasion. Everything on offer is available throughout the year - so what is so SPECIAL about CNY other than Lo Hei, Ang Pow, and gambling sessions. You and I can get meesiam, laksa, even kueh pai tee anytime.

It is about time the Chinese community voice out together for the reintroduction of firecrackers. CHINESE INVENTED GUNPOWDER!!! It will be nice if descendents of the Dragon Emperor get to light up some teeny-weeny bangers to start the New Year. Not the high flying fireworks, just some bangers at community centres and public courtyards - controlled and under supervision. For fourteen days a year. That will make CNY, CNY.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Not really as these are home cook food which differ greatly from those you get outside. You mentioned firecrackers as special, but in fact, you can get firecrackers anytime of the year too, not in Singapore, but in other countries.

It is asking for the moon to get the authorities to allow the firing of crackers here, so please do not ask what is impossible. I agree with their rationale that fire crackers are dangerous in the hands of idiots and there are plenty of them not forgetting also there is a great number of foreigners in Singapore.

The Singapore of today is so claustrophbic, there is very little open space for us to use fire crackers. If you do not realise it by now, the dangers are worse than it ever was in the past.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bud, I don`t call the shots during the festive time - it is the wife, AND old folks preference. Steam Boat is a very communal way of sharing a meal, and the old folks want it. To me, it is hot, sweaty, troublesome, no fun, and most of all - boiled food is bland!!!!! And messy!!!

This year, I suggested ordering a suckling pig, roast duck, and the family and prepare the fish maw soup - but as usual, in our democratic society, I had to yield to popular choice. Steam Boat. Fuck democracy.

Cheers!

Take heart you're not alone, very often in my own house I also feel I'm the minority. Quiet like a little puppy reduced to my own corner (and smoke grass :p).

Excuse my language, you are one lucky piece of ?&(*(!!!! Banned or not, who the f#?& cares!!!!

Wish I were in your shoes right now. Itès going to smell good!

Gong Hee Fatt Choy!!!

I in Suvanabhumbi Airport now waiting to come back to Singapore. Instructed maid tomorrow midnight burn 8 strings. After I come back on 2nd day I will let go the other 8 boxes.

Gong Hee Fatt Choy to you too.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always enjoyed steamboat at home because of the communal spirit it engenders. All you need is good chilli to dip some of the stuff. You can see at lot of interaction with steamboat then any other form of meal except maybe BBQ.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The list of must have for CNY- steamed sea bass- fried pork balls (minced prom with finely diced shallots, spring onions with mixed spices)- BBQ ribs ( suddenly appeared some years ago)- deep fried battered prawns- shitake mushrooms- Roast chicken (chopped) - Longetivity noodles- lettuce wraps- steamed dumplings

jw5

Loyal
Sweetened pig's grounded liver, added with pepper, made into a ball (size about that of a ping pong ball) and wrapped in pig's stomach. They are then roasted and eaten with pickled vegetables.

hehehehe, interesting...................... :o

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hehehehe, interesting...................... :o

A recipe passed down from my Mom that not one member of our family can duplicate no matter how hard we try. Sometimes my sisters talking about the recipes will complain about how difficult it is to write down the ingredients and the quantity of each to add in. My Mom will say katis and tahils which at that time was hard to convert to Lbs(calculators unheard then) and give local names to ingredients which they had difficulty in identifying. From Imperial now we use Metric measurements. Moreover, many of us suspected the difference in taste probably could be our lack of use of aji-no-moto which in the past was use liberally. Then again, we may never know whether it was her touch or we are simply bad cooks.:(

So every year if one of us cooked and ask for opinions, the usual response will be, "quite good, but not as good as Mom's.":biggrin:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
haha bro ...long time no hear about katis and tahils. Remember got chupaks and gantangs too. Local weight measurements that we had to learn in Pri school.

A recipe passed down from my Mom that not one member of our family can duplicate no matter how hard we try. Sometimes my sisters talking about the recipes will complain about how difficult it is to write down the ingredients and the quantity of each to add in. My Mom will say katis and tahils which at that time was hard to convert to Lbs(calculators unheard then) and give local names to ingredients which they had difficulty in identifying. From Imperial now we use Metric measurements. Moreover, many of us suspected the difference in taste probably could be our lack of use of aji-no-moto which in the past was use liberally. Then again, we may never know whether it was her touch or we are simply bad cooks.:(

So every year if one of us cooked and ask for opinions, the usual response will be, "quite good, but not as good as Mom's.":biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok actually our reunion dinner is tonight at Ghim Tin in AMK. But mom being mom wanted to cook something for some of us at her home so this is just a home cooked food semi-reunion lunch -

Photo Jan 22, 3 08 48 PM.jpg