• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Latest Wedding Angbao Rates for 2012/2013

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Using that as a yardstick, guests usually will give not less than the rates.

beg to differ. the yardstick should be thrown out of the window. me would advocate giving to one's ability. on good terms with bride and groom, give a bit more; knowing either bride or groom only, give a token sum will do; don't know the bride and groom but got invited because you're some distant relative, put four pieces of big sweep ticket and wish them good luck :p:p:p

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
beg to differ. the yardstick should be thrown out of the window. me would advocate giving to one's ability. on good terms with bride and groom, give a bit more; knowing either bride or groom only, give a token sum will do; don't know the bride and groom but got invited because you're some distant relative, put four pieces of big sweep ticket and wish them good luck :p:p:p

The last one I attended, there was a table after the entrance where guests were welcomed, ang pows taken and checked with your name written on it and recorded in a book. You are then shown which table to be seated.

If it is a distant relative I hardly knew existed send an invite, I would decline and give an excuse so they will not book too many tables.

MOOLahMOJO

Alfrescian
Loyal

Distant relatives not as close as friends you know and colleagues you have?

WinneMUCCA

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Delusional"? Only among certain segments of society.

If you cannot even afford a $150-200 Ang Pow, or if such an amount is so painful, your friends shouldn't even have invited you. :wink:

Don't invite better....why do they have such a lavish wedding dinner for? To show off? Now, what is it that a lunch buffet cannot achieve after the simple wedding ceremony?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh well, depends on who you are I guess. People who can't afford $200.00 don't belong on a guest list anyway. :biggrin:

Don't invite better....why do they have such a lavish wedding dinner for? To show off? Now, what is it that a lunch buffet cannot achieve after the simple wedding ceremony?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
To deal with cheapskates like some of the forumers here:biggrin:, even better, put up the amounts on a large screen.

The last one I attended, there was a table after the entrance where guests were welcomed, ang pows taken and checked with your name written on it and recorded in a book. You are then shown which table to be seated.

If it is a distant relative I hardly knew existed send an invite, I would decline and give an excuse so they will not book too many tables.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ang pow rates?

I pass the contact to them as to who are the cheapest divorce lawyers around as there are high chances that such couples would need them later. LOL

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
A man who cannot even afford $20k for what is supposed to be the night of his life - a woman should think twice about marrying him.

But $20k will not get you very far. Barely 15 tables. If the man doesn't even have 100 friends willing to attend his wedding (leaving 5 tables for the woman) - a woman should again think twice about marrying him.

Sometimes I cannot understand your logic in saying all these :confused:

$20K is no big deal to me but I want spend it with value.

For example, I am holding my wedding banquet in HDB void deck or community centre. $500 per table.
I put 20 tables and invite my friends to attend. Red packets how much my friend give is for them to decide.
No need minimum how much per ang bao

Alternatively holding in restaurants or hotel minimum $1000 per table.

A good woman should help her man to save money ...not spend lavishly on unnecessary things.

Just one wedding dinner what do you get in the end. Either you make a profit out of it or losses. Even I incur a loss in my wedding dinner that fine take it as buying a banquet dinner for friends as long as the event is a happy one.

Last edited:

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
I give wedding Ang Pao according to how well that friend has treated me in the past.

Those who can't be bothered to stay in touch, yet when wedding comes send an SMS INVITATION and ask me to attend with the view of getting a red packet from me, don't expect me to give much.

SMS INVITATION!! mind you, this was from someone whom I called a friend for a good 7 years.

I gave that SOB $30 bucks and ate as much food as I could.

Well Done :biggrin:

$30 quite a lot lol ...

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically, if $20k is no big deal to you, you are likely to recover your $20k from the Ang Pows because you won't have too many friends who think that giving you $200 is chin choi lui. :smile:

Sometimes I cannot understand your logic in saying all these :confused:

$20K is no big deal to me but I want spend it with value.

For example, I am holding my wedding banquet in HDB void deck or community centre. $500 per table.
I put 20 tables and invite my friends to attend. Red packets how much my friend give is for them to decide.
No need minimum how much per ang bao

Alternatively holding in restaurants or hotel minimum $1000 per table.

A good woman should help her man to save money ...not spend lavishly on unnecessary things.

Just one wedding dinner what do you get in the end. Either you make a profit out of it or losses. Even I incur a loss in my wedding dinner that fine take it as buying a banquet dinner for friends as long as the event is a happy one.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ironically, if $20k is no big deal to you, you are likely to recover your $20k from the Ang Pows because you won't have too many friends who think that giving you $200 is chin choi lui. :smile:

i prefer to go malay's wedding...:o

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

there a army mate who dont go other wedding dinners. not even once, as far as i can work out, it because he also never invite us to his own wedding dinners so like that he wont lugi.

i only have a simple 3 tables at a chinese restaurant for close relatives only. $888+++ per table, everyone like the piping hot and delicious food with karaoke throw in(private room). even so, i do attend others wedding invitations. those long lost type only give enough for them to breakeven while those are closed friends or reservist mate i gave a bit more. now even dinner at the T3 hotel cost $1500++ per table, really no $200 per guest then couple will have problem breaking even.

what wrong with making the dinner in a traditional restaurant where it a bit cheaper and the food much much nicer? many of these old school restaurants decor also not bad, such as the spring court in chinatown where the decor quite modern. Those that need 30-50 table can book at yan court and red star located nearby and all three restaurants foods standard leave the hotel food far far behind.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess you are right. Cut your suit according to your cloth. If your friends are of the irk who think $200.00 ang pow is a lot of money, better do it in a cheap restaurant.

Wedding couples do not expect to break even totally. Usually spend $200 per head (including the liquor and wine) and would usually collect $150 ang pow on average (even with guests who try to make them break even because they did not count the booze).

what wrong with making the dinner in a traditional restaurant where it a bit cheaper and the food much much nicer? many of these old school restaurants decor also not bad, such as the spring court in chinatown where the decor quite modern. Those that need 30-50 table can book at yan court and red star located nearby and all three restaurants foods standard leave the hotel food far far behind.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ok that fine if I do not many local friends to give me $200 ang pows I will still invite them anyway if they are my true friends.

Equally I do have few oversea friends and if they fly into Singapore to attend my wedding dinners they will give at least $1000.

I can afford $20K no problem at all as I already paid $65K COV for my new home. If my local friends cannot afford to give $200 ang pows, also no problem I can treat them :smile: