• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Latest Wedding Angbao Rates for 2012/2013

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
many void deck malay wedding buffet have better food than some 5 star hotels!!!...i love the bryani the best...esp home cooked gotong royong style...damned shiok!...and i always give a bigger hongbao:smile:

Yap ...food are much better in wedding buffets in void deck. And I do not think sinkie chinese will lose face holding wedding dinners in void deck or community centre.

As long as I can afford to invite friends, relative and colleagues to my wedding dinner is very good liao :biggrin: where got lose face

very true. went to one at st regis...just an ordinary couple. poor parents got to support ....sweat and stress !!!

No need to go through such stress if one cannot afford a hotel one. At least $20,000 plus in one night quite silly if one do not have the means in doing so.

No wonder... sinkie women is not a good choice for life partner and the same can be said for PRC women :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
A man who cannot even afford $20k for what is supposed to be the night of his life - a woman should think twice about marrying him.

But $20k will not get you very far. Barely 15 tables. If the man doesn't even have 100 friends willing to attend his wedding (leaving 5 tables for the woman) - a woman should again think twice about marrying him.

No need to go through such stress if one cannot afford a hotel one. At least $20,000 plus in one night quite silly if one do not have the means in doing so.

Last edited:

tititata

Alfrescian
Loyal
I gonna attend a friend's son's wedding this week. He is a good friend so planning a fat angpow. Should I just leave it with the reception or hand it personally to the groom or to his father (my freind)? Which is the correct custom?

Since the amount is quite large, is it ok to issue a cheque instead of cash in the angpow? Tks

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who do you want to benefit from the Ang Pow? In your shoes I will give the Ang Pow to the friend and leave it to him to decide whether to give it to his son.

I gonna attend a friend's son's wedding this week. He is a good friend so planning a fat angpow. Should I just leave it with the reception or hand it personally to the groom or to his father (my freind)? Which is the correct custom?

Since the amount is quite large, is it ok to issue a cheque instead of cash in the angpow? Tks

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A good reason for hotels to make good profits. It seems guests are now paying for couples to get married.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I give wedding Ang Pao according to how well that friend has treated me in the past.

Those who can't be bothered to stay in touch, yet when wedding comes send an SMS INVITATION and ask me to attend with the view of getting a red packet from me, don't expect me to give much.

SMS INVITATION!! mind you, this was from someone whom I called a friend for a good 7 years.

I gave that SOB $30 bucks and ate as much food as I could.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A good reason for hotels to make good profits. It seems guests are now paying for couples to get married.

It is well known that many couples aim to make a profit from their wedding. I hope that during their divorce, they will be just as concerned about finances. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited. Those who treat a lifelong commitment as a profit making venture don't deserve respect.

eErotica69CCBCaoPi

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such thing as 'market rates'. It's all up to you: how much you are willing and able to give, how close you are to the newlyweds and how good you perceive the food and ambiance to be.

Sinkies who expect to break even or even make a profit from collecting ang pow money are just plain delusional.

Profit / Loss

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Getting married can make money provided friends and colleagues are rich and generous.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A man who cannot even afford $20k for what is supposed to be the night of his life - a woman should think twice about marrying him.

A couple marry because of genuine love for each other not because of how many wedding tables that man can afford to book for his wedding dinner, you materialistic PAP whore!!!!..:oIo: :biggrin: :oIo:

Last edited:

tititata

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know both father and son. But I thought if the parents invite you, then all angpows customarily go to them. But the groom will be the first one to shake your hands and passing by him without giving something is rather awkward right?

Who do you want to benefit from the Ang Pow? In your shoes I will give the Ang Pow to the friend and leave it to him to decide whether to give it to his son.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A couple marry because of genuine love for each other not because of how many wedding tables that man can afford to book for his wedding dinner, you materialistic PAP whore!!!!..:oIo: :biggrin: :oIo:

I noticed this is also the trend for Malay weddings and Chinese funerals. The need to show off is getting out of hand.:mad:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
10 usd19.90 sbf vouchers for the bride and groom. they can surf sbf after their wedding and feel empowered to zap and infract. very good for marital relationship building. :biggrin:

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is well known that many couples aim to make a profit from their wedding. I hope that during their divorce, they will be just as concerned about finances. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited. Those who treat a lifelong commitment as a profit making venture don't deserve respect.

Bro

Don't be so mean spirited lah. Nobody forces you to attend any wedding dinner. If you buay song don't attend lor.

I recently attended a memorable wedding banquet. I saw the sincerity of the two newly weds. May they have a blissful marriage. :wink:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It's not you being mean-spirited. To me, those who profit from the wedding should be taken to task. How many Chinese couples will buck the trend and have a small wedding when others are having theirs in a 5 star hotel with all the trappings, one they could ill-afford but thanks to their well-heeled guests and the poorer ones who cannot lose face, thereby giving an ang pao they actually cannot afford?

The reality is that most couples cannot afford to get married having to dole out a huge sum of cash just for the wedding dinner. The more guests they invited, the better chance they have that may see them actually making a profit to fund other wedding expenses, including their honeymoon.

The wedding caterers and photo studios are capitalising on this and their prices are getting higher every year. There is a video that has gone viral about the plight of a young Singaporean which I can look for and post here.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is this rate per head or per ang pow? The married couple should not expect their guests to subsidize their wedding reception. If they opt for the poshiest venue, then they had better have the money to pay for it.
Maybe it is time that guests bring gifts instead of ang pow to change the culture of expectations.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is this rate per head or per ang pow? The married couple should not expect their guests to subsidize their wedding reception. If they opt for the poshiest venue, then they had better have the money to pay for it.
Maybe it is time that guests bring gifts instead of ang pow to change the culture of expectations.

It is rate per head and when published, all Chinese will have an idea how much it will cost the couple to host the dinner. Using that as a yardstick, guests usually will give not less than the rates.