• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Goh Meng Seng allow Nicole Seah climb all over him?

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this is what you are interested in only, then it would not be difficult to answer. It is a cumulative factor, right from 2001.

Goh Meng Seng

Of course this what I am interested in. Voters are what that matters to win an election, unless you have other more pressing objectives.

Thanks for your response.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, if WP only win by 50.1%, I believe Golden Dragon will also be screaming, pulling his hair and dance in ecstasy. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

My God, you have access to my phone conversation with my buddies? That was exactly what I said to them if WP won by that margin. You keep convincing me of your 'status' with each passing day. Hahaaaa.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had Goh Meng Seng won Tampines by 50.1% he'd also be screaming, pulling whatever's left of his hair and dancing in ecstasy that few drugs are powerful enough to induce.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had Goh Meng Seng won Tampines by 50.1% he'd also be screaming, pulling whatever's left of his hair and dancing in ecstasy that few drugs are powerful enough to induce.

Not likely. I reckon GMS may suffer a heart attack if he won by that score coz winning was never his intention.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not likely. I reckon GMS may suffer a heart attack if he won by that score coz winning was never his intention.

He could have won had he and Seb rejected all the RP refugees (well, including my niece) and concentrated on winning Tampines. The contesting as many seats as possible strategy made no sense to me with this situation and resources.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely agree.

He could have won had he and Seb rejected all the RP refugees (well, including my niece) and concentrated on winning Tampines. The contesting as many seats as possible strategy made no sense to me with this situation and resources.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal

who ish your niece???

disagreed, quality of RP refugees make NSP much stronger .....

Yip Yew Weng, Ken Sun, Steve Chia, Sebastian Teo, Ivan Yeo, Cheo Chai Chen, CHristopher Neo, Kwang Yue Keng and tan chee kian are all old faces who have no charisma or credibility or any fresh ideas left liao...and ebery time I hear lee waileng intro tan chee kian, I just wan to puke machiam like he is LKY liddat

it was GOH meng Seng who deviate from his orginal Minister specific strategy and choose to focus the campaign chasing Nicole's ass hence the loss...

without ex-RP, NSP can only poll in the low 30s ot high 20s

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not questioning the "quality" or "qualification" of WP candidates but rather, the lack of "grooming" given to them. Grooming them to be public figures, known individuals to the public etc. Whether we like it or not, politicians will have difficulty in winning if they are not known to the public. Of course, this is only part of the winning formula: other factors like party branding and such still counts.
Goh Meng Seng

Wondered if NSP did any grooming at all! All their members are only interested in contesting themselves and making money. In fact it is being perceived as a vehicle for contesting by the ex-RP exodus. Seeing NSP in the recent GE is like a struggle for them, no overall plan, no punchline, disorganized and disoriented.

Is it because of your minister-based strategy that makes the contesting candidates adapt different strategies for each GRC or just simply the candidates cannot work together.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
And to think that WP sent two MPs (MP LTK and NCMP Sylvia Lim) plus a high flyer lawyer CSM to Aljunied, it actually had a hard fight by winning 54% of the votes. I was actually expecting something like 55% to 60%. Now, what would happen if CSM was not fielded? Or LTK wasn't there? Could WP win Aljunied at all? This is actually food for thought.

In short, with such a strong team, WP team in Aljunied could only manage the "AVERAGE" vote swing of 11% (or less). East Coast has a vote swing of about 9%. These two GRCs are WP's focus since 2006. These are actually alarming signals.

Goh Meng Seng

U have to really factor in that PAP had the incumbent advantage in Aljunied GRC

Secondly, there isn't much local issue for WP to exploit other than that dormitory issue.

Lastly, unlike Tampines, they don't have unpopular minister and no other heavyweight in the team nor was there any TPL in MP GRC.

Rather than to engage in politics of envy, give credit when it due. 54% is a decent score. I estimated 48-52%.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Secondly, there isn't much local issue for WP to exploit other than that dormitory issue.

Lastly, unlike Tampines, they don't have unpopular minister and no other heavyweight in the team nor was there any TPL in MP GRC.

Rather than to engage in politics of envy, give credit when it due. 54% is a decent score. I estimated 48-52%.

You got to figure. When you factor in all kinds of s**t people with contrary views start doing the same thing and there's no end. Who argues that Ronaldo is not a better soccer player than Beckham because Ronaldo's legs are longer and if he had Beckham's legs he will play worse than Beckham is beyond me.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I do not engage politics of envy. There is of course credits due to WP for breaking the first GRC and I have given LTK that for making this breakthrough.

However, as I have said, if you want to know how the future works, you must first understand what doesn't work in the past.

Your argument, at first look, seems to be reasonable but no, if taken into account of the results in other places, it doesn't stand. All other places do not have MBT. MK has Yaacob the flooding minister. East Coast has Raymond Lim the jamming minister. But at least for housing and transport, it affects EVERYONE on this island, regardless where they are.

You are just taking a look at local issues as well as opponent as consideration. But as I have said, support level for opposition depends on many other factors. i.e. The general sentiment due to public policy failures (eg. floods, housing, transport etc), individual candidate's strength, party branding, consistent grassroot/ground work, opponents, campaign messaging etc. What you have stated is only one of the factors. the general sentiment due to policy failures are given at large. WP has put up the best team of individuals, including two MPs plus CSM, WP has the best party branding, WP has consistent ground work in Aljunied (if taken pre-GE2006 into consideration, that is more than 8 years of knocking doors). Something must be missing somewhere.

Goh Meng Seng

P.S. in terms of opponents, actually some of the PAP MPs are known to be bossy and unpopular. Even if you are saying George Yeo is "well liked" but it has already proven in GE2006, without fielding any MP or heavy weight like CSM, WP could already garner 44%. BTW, there aren't any local issues in Tampines and NSP branding is definitely not as top as WP. We do not have extraordinary candidates as well.

Last edited:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are just taking a look at local issues as well as opponent as consideration. But as I have said, support level for opposition depends on many other factors. i.e. The general sentiment due to public policy failures (eg. floods, housing, transport etc), individual candidate's strength, party branding, consistent grassroot/ground work, opponents, campaign messaging etc. What you have stated is only one of the factors. the general sentiment due to policy failures are given at large. WP has put up the best team of individuals, including two MPs plus CSM, WP has the best party branding, WP has consistent ground work in Aljunied (if taken pre-GE2006 into consideration, that is more than 8 years of knocking doors). Something must be missing somewhere.

Goh Meng Seng

P.S. in terms of opponents, actually some of the PAP MPs are known to be bossy and unpopular. Even if you are saying George Yeo is "well liked" but it has already proven in GE2006, without fielding any MP or heavy weight like CSM, WP could already garner 44%. BTW, there aren't any local issues in Tampines and NSP branding is definitely not as top as WP. We do not have extraordinary candidates as well.

There is really nothing to argue over what is counted as convincing victory. 60% for PAP was a blow but same result for other democracies are overwhelming victory. As you put it, politic is about perception. The perception is opposition won a GRC, the psychological barrier was breached. Arguing over what score it should be is probably not going to be fruitful.

While there is WP branding but isn't PAP itself a branding? While WP sent their A" team ther, can you deny PAP team led by GY is weak? While it true that WP does all the groundwork, does that mean PAP is doing nothing?

After the 2006 election, I would think PAP had been doing all the groundwork even more. In fact the groundwork of PAP and WP is totally in a different league. What sort of groundwork can oppositions do without the support of grassroots organistion? You know it better than me.

As for Tampines, U are making it sound as if you are up against a formidable team. you just need to look into the team make up.

HENG SWEE KEAT (newbie)
MAH BOW TAN (unpopular)
MASAGOS ZULKIFLI BMM (lightwieght)
IRENE NG PHEK HOONG (lightweight)
BAEY YAM KENG (newbie from TP GRC)

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Of course this what I am interested in. Voters are what that matters to win an election, unless you have other more pressing objectives.

We have already addressed the issue that he doesn't see the difference between politician and political activist several posts ago.