• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which one more siong - NS Mata or NS army?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one thing...mata got DB or not?

Yes, a small Police Provost Unit and DB in old PA. New HA TraCom, I'm not sure.

3 months BMT is tougher physically but 6 months Police training is more studious as you need to pass the law and stuff. However, the physical test standard for both are the same as they all use IPPT.

The toughest physical training would be training under the Gurkhas. Those who had been there would know.

Gurkhas don't use Singapore IPPT as standard of physical fitness measurement. They use Nepal hill and jungle standard. 2.4 klic is a joke to them. They did train in old PA too for those who first came to Singapore before posting out to Vernon or Changi. But they were already incredulously fit by the the time they arrived, after passing British Army hill and jungle trainings and exams in Nepal. It's just a police conversion course. Now with new HA TraCom, I'm not sure how's the arrangement too. Gurkhas in Singapore are basically soldiers posted to police duties.

Last edited:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another difference, police learns baton combat while soldier learns bayonet combat. Police is trained on M16 too but never with bayonet. I also believe police and army unarmed combat are of different versions for different duties. Army MP version should be closer to that of police since their duties are closer.

A fully euipped and armed police is at most equivalent to a solider with SBO. There's no such thing as FBO or jungle training for police.

i am a qualified unarmed combat instructor in both army and police.

trust me, it will never works in real fight those silly moves.

unlike other instructors, although i was not posted to unarm combat instructor unit, if i were the one teaching, the first lesson i will said, these i teach is according to what i am suppose to teach u guys. outside in real fight pls use common sense to grab things in your hand to swing LOL

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3 months BMT is tougher physically but 6 months Police training is more studious as you need to pass the law and stuff

That's true but law exams etc can copy-copy type. I did. My coursemates many lawyers so no problem!

Useful to note that what they teach for non-law subjects is hardly applicable in land divisions. If you adhere to all that was preached in lectures, you won't be able to sleep during your tour of duty. Work smart, not work hard. Our bro, KohLianThye will agree with me. Ah Ram, any further comments?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's true but law exams etc can copy-copy type. I did. My coursemates many lawyers so no problem!

Useful to note that what they teach for non-law subjects is hardly applicable in land divisions. If you adhere to all that was preached in lectures, you won't be able to sleep during your tour of duty. Work smart, not work hard. Our bro, KohLianThye will agree with me. Ah Ram, any further comments?

my fren told me that one common sense impossible to fail one

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal

unlike other instructors, although i was not posted to unarm combat instructor unit, if i were the one teaching, the first lesson i will said, these i teach is according to what i am suppose to teach u guys. outside in real fight pls use common sense to grab things in your hand to swing LOL

You were an unarmed combat instructor? Pray tell, why the fuck did we have to learn all that half-fucked tae kwon do shit? The moves (especially the defence against armed attacker) were not practical and all that shouting every time you kick/punch/block made the whole thing even more stupid. Bloody Hells. If I go "YAH YAH YAH..." in a real fight, I would have collapsed from an asthmatic attack!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Of course I trust you, my son. All versions never work except for the gangster streetfighting version.

my fren told me that one common sense impossible to fail one

It's impossible to fail the passing out final exam except for an absolute retard who shouldn't be there in the first place. If you fail interim tests before that, you face weekend confinement. Who the hell not a retard won't want to spend whole night reading up properly to pass and book out for weekend?

Anyway, police laws are not as commonsense as you think. The difference with seizeable and non-seizable offences is already big legal problem to sort out. A false arrest is big offence in police disciplinary as well as civil actionable and the officer missing a step along the way might end up in big trouble.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Ram, any further comments?

If you scored high with the law exam, it'd be on your file. Your chance of getting rid of that silly monkey jacket and becoming an investigator is higher and faster. :wink:

Of course, other factors weigh in, like your field performances with station duties, DPCs, FRCs etc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you scored high with the law exam, it'd be on your file. Your chance of getting rid of that silly monkey jacket and becoming an investigator is higher and faster. :wink:

Based on my knowledge, the higher your score for law exams, the higher the chances of burnt out in land divisions as IO. I baru so-so score. I lasted the distance! Many scored better. They either resigned or kena hentak kaki.

Becoming an IO depends on many factors. Not just scores for law exams. Surviving as an IO in land divisions requires many traits. THE most important one being the courage to take calculated risks. I know someone who tried being the perfect IO. He collapsed while on duty!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on my knowledge, the higher your score for law exams, the higher the chances of burnt out in land divisions as IO. I baru so-so score. I lasted the distance! Many scored better. They either resigned or kena hentak kaki.

Becoming an IO depends on many factors. Not just scores for law exams. Surviving as an IO in land divisions requires many traits. THE most important one being the courage to take calculated risks. I know someone who tried being the perfect IO. He collapsed while on duty!

Yes, many factors. Those were the exciting good old days. Nowadays you're just highrolling and hangflowering, and I'm just hiding from Vamjok's mom! :eek: :biggrin:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
You were an unarmed combat instructor? Pray tell, why the fuck did we have to learn all that half-fucked tae kwon do shit? The moves (especially the defence against armed attacker) were not practical and all that shouting every time you kick/punch/block made the whole thing even more stupid. Bloody Hells. If I go "YAH YAH YAH..." in a real fight, I would have collapsed from an asthmatic attack!

i have no fucking idea myself, i was not an unarmed combat instructor in active although i am more than qualified to be one. many of my juniors that i taught are. i know how useless tkd is in real fight for i myself trained in a few other martial arts as well (cross trained in bjj and chinese kungfu wing chun) beside tkd. a lot of black belts in my club hate me then, cos i am the fucker that always point out how useless tkd is in the club and have no problem proving my points (i always choked them out in less than 20 sec of the fight, to demo how 1 v 1 works in street, although u think back now no such thing as 1 v 1 in street)

the only reason why i stay on tkd for so long is becos.....mei mei there prettier la (b4 i enter NS then)....but now older, no longer interested in sec sch/JC mei mei thus i disappeared.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have no fucking idea myself, i was not an unarmed combat instructor in active although i am more than qualified to be one. many of my juniors that i taught are. i know how useless tkd is in real fight for i myself trained in a few other martial arts as well (cross trained in bjj and chinese kungfu wing chun) beside tkd. a lot of black belts in my club hate me then, cos i am the fucker that always point out how useless tkd is in the club and have no problem proving my points (i always choked them out in less than 20 sec of the fight, to demo how 1 v 1 works in street, although u think back now no such thing as 1 v 1 in street)

the only reason why i stay on tkd for so long is becos.....mei mei there prettier la (b4 i enter NS then)....but now older, no longer interested in sec sch/JC mei mei thus i disappeared.

How useless is TKD in real fight, ask your uncle Leetahbar. He kept laughing for years when a TKD instructor got bashed blackeyed by a streetfighter. Police unarmed combat is based on Judo adapted for arresting. Useless too. We all used streetfighting to arrest them. If they were armed, we'd shoot them. Game over.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Add on........all combat vocations learn unarmed combat.
MPs are chosen based on height.....there is a minimun height requirement.

combat vocation unarmed combat not exactly TKD. it meant for battlefield hand to hand combat, where soldier learned deal in situation where he has do have enemy,who an be armed or unarmed, with his bare hand.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
combat vocation unarmed combat not exactly TKD. it meant for battlefield hand to hand combat, where soldier learned deal in situation where he has do have enemy,who an be armed or unarmed, with his bare hand.

In fact, I feel that JD, TKW, karate, police or army teach you how *not* to fight. Streetfighting is still the best and most effective. I remember I saw with my own eyes when my 5 foot-half father grounded a 6-foot singh taxi driver over disagreement on taxi fare, and it took three uncles to pull him off to prevent accidental manslaughter. I was kindergarten age. Got scolded by my father, never seen fighting before is it? Don't know how to fight is it? Lesson learned. Learn how to fight.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal

trust me, its rubbish.

this is coming from someone who send 2 pple to hospital b4.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact, I feel that JD, TKW, karate, police or army teach you how *not* to fight. Streetfighting is still the best and most effective. I remember I saw with my own eyes when my 5 foot-half father grounded a 6-foot singh taxi driver over disagreement on taxi fare, and it took three uncles to pull him off to prevent accidental manslaughter. I was kindergarten age. Got scolded by my father, never seen fighting before is it? Don't know how to fight is it? Lesson learned. Learn how to fight.

depends, if that martial artists often take part in competition, and if he has common sense to use that experience and break all the safety restrictions, he is someone not to be fooled with. then again, if its me, my first reaction is to find something to swing LOL

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
at the rifleman level, yes. but not at the command and staff officer level. there's a lot more mind work required at the staff and command level than what cops go through. military officers need to be trained and have experience or preparation for a massive hostile event like all out war while police officers need to be trained in criminal law/justice and be prepared for domestic disturbance.

Sorry bro, I peng Kia only. So my perspective coming from that angle. But ocifers have to do more strategic planning and wargaming etc.., no doubt :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
depends, if that martial artists often take part in competition, and if he has common sense to use that experience and break all the safety restrictions, he is someone not to be fooled with. then again, if its me, my first reaction is to find something to swing LOL

Yes son, follow your granddad's style, strike to ground the opponent. That's the objective of a fight. Opponent grounded, anything else can talk later.

The grab anything to swing style, you sure have my blood in you, grab anything chair, bottle or glass and swing. Ground the opponent first, talk later.

We can't really follow your granddad's style as he was a trained inch-punch boxer with punch weightage enough to crush a sugar cane with bare fist.

Last edited:

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal

Haha....it's all the wayang. I remember there would be grading and you had a sparring partner assigned. I Par Kat with my partner the moves that we would be doing. We introduced some fanciful strokes that they did not teach and could only see in movies, like double turning and kick, and all went well without a hitch. The trick is to shout loud very garangly "Yah Yah Yah" all the way you will pass. They just want to hear and see the garangness. Machiam...really like TCS acting. Really waste of time...

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha....it's all the wayang. I remember there would be grading and you had a sparring partner assigned. I Par Kat with my partner the moves that we would be doing. We introduced some fanciful strokes that they did not teach and could only see in movies, like double turning and kick, and all went well without a hitch. The trick is to shout as loud very garangly "Yah Yah Yah" all the way you will pass. They just want to hear and see the garangness. Machiam...really like TCS acting. Really waste of time...

Of course, army and police unarmed combat trainings are not subjected to exams or gradings. It's just going through the motions of training you with some skills, and if just in case something happened to you while you're on duly, your family can't blame them for not training you. Nobody take it seriously.