• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thousands of Singaporeans registered interest to migrate to New Zealand

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Under what category can retirees, or those who want to retire, to get PR there ?

Is the promotion still on ?

Just want to go there and retire, maybe buy a wineyard or ranch, or do something more exciting than f**K (which is alrewady quite sexciting).

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Under what category can retirees, or those who want to retire, to get PR there ?

Is the promotion still on ?

Just want to go there and retire, maybe buy a wineyard or ranch, or do something more exciting than f**K (which is alrewady quite sexciting).

What is your definition of "excitement"?:rolleyes:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear!:confused: There goes another nice neighborhood. :eek:

The NIGHTMARE begins.
These S'poreans will buy or build MONSTER houses, fixed Window Grills on every window. Destroy their lawns and tile every square metre of greenery with ceramic or teracotta tiles. Bring all their KIASU/KIASI attitudes and try to change NZ into another S'pore (the very place they wanted to get away from)

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The NIGHTMARE begins.
These S'poreans will buy or build MONSTER houses, fixed Window Grills on every window. Destroy their lawns and tile every square metre of greenery with ceramic or teracotta tiles. Bring all their KIASU/KIASI attitudes and try to change NZ into another S'pore (the very place they wanted to get away from)

Yeah man. New Zealand is the last almost "untouched" country .

Soon it be ravaged by man all the same .

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore envies Kiwi lifestyle

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10625002

Singapore envies Kiwi lifestyle
By Lincoln Tan 4:00 AM Tuesday Feb 9, 2010 Facebook

The bait was better working hours, cheaper cars and housing - and in three weeks thousands from Singapore have registered their interest in living in New Zealand.

An Immigration New Zealand pilot project aimed at attracting Singaporean migrants has resulted in over 1000 registrations each week since it was launched last month, with 3565 potential immigrants having registered their interest in just three weeks.

Would-be migrants are told of comparatively cheaper housing, car ownership and a relaxed lifestyle - and those who registered their interest on newzealandnow.govt.nz received an email from Immigration telling them how to apply for relevant visas.

Immigration expert Paul Spoonley said the level of interest was "unexpected and fascinating".

"I think the draw for many Singaporeans is not so much the cheaper cars or housing, but the lower-stress environment and because New Zealand offers quality education in English," said Professor Spoonley, of Massey University.

"Singapore has a very competitive education system driven by Confucian values and what they think they will get here is a different education value system that offers a more well-rounded education for children."

Immigration New Zealand said the pilot was aimed at working holiday visitors and students, and not skilled migrants, but Professor Spoonley said the Singaporeans who had registered were likely to be either young families with young children, or those who were semi-retired.

Immigration told Singapore media that Singaporeans were targeted because Singapore and New Zealand had long-standing and friendly relations, and that Singapore was a "good demographic match for this campaign, in terms of English language proficiency and education levels, and there's already a strong tradition of studying overseas".

Singapore Club Auckland president Allan Yee said most Singaporeans regarded New Zealand not so much as a study destination but an "excellent place to retire".

"Most Singaporeans have a good retirement nest egg, and they think they will be able to get better-value housing and cars and stretch their money in New Zealand," said Mr Yee.

"I guess New Zealand also offers cheaper university education and that could be one reason why Singaporeans want to come, but Australian universities are still more popular for them."

Since 2001, 2978 Singaporeans have become permanent residents, but 1107, or 37 per cent, are no longer living here.

An Immigration spokesman said the agency did not yet have any information on Singaporeans who had come to New Zealand as a direct result of this pilot project, but it would be evaluated over the next few months.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The NIGHTMARE begins.

I was thinking things over... thousands may have registered their "interest" but how many will actually take the plunge?:rolleyes:

My estimate is around 10 families. The rest of the thousands will have created some excuse for themselves... parents too old, kids too young, earning too much or too little, just got promoted, waiting to be retrenched, waiting for SG home prices to go up further, waiting for NZ dollar to drop.. SGD to go up etc etc etc. I've heard them all.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
The NIGHTMARE begins.
Haha, I remembered when we moved into this nice suburb, wifey is not please with windows and doors, I asked why? She doesn't like the security. Weeks later I installed a security system.. She still prefers the window grilles.. Haha. I can't change the sinkie mentality despite 5 hrs here....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, I remembered when we moved into this nice suburb, wifey is not please with windows and doors, I asked why? She doesn't like the security. Weeks later I installed a security system.. She still prefers the window grilles.. Haha. I can't change the sinkie mentality despite 5 hrs here....

So in the end you still installed the grill? Yes, its a very difficult process, when i first came here, I still have the sinkie mentality that we need grill for the house we rent, its not safe to leave your window open at night etc etc. After 15 years, I leave my door open at night now. Wahahahahahah funny that it feels safer here then in Sinkieland where you get reports of all these "violents" "robberies" happening.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was thinking things over... thousands may have registered their "interest" but how many will actually take the plunge?:rolleyes:

My estimate is around 10 families. The rest of the thousands will have created some excuse for themselves... parents too old, kids too young, earning too much or too little, just got promoted, waiting to be retrenched, waiting for SG home prices to go up further, waiting for NZ dollar to drop.. SGD to go up etc etc etc. I've heard them all.

plus "dun have roti prata, chai tow kuay, mee siam" etc type of excuse....

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore women NEVER change (really vomit blood) their SG mindsets. Inform your SG wife that FIXED window grilles are a DEATH TRAP because NZ houses are build mainly of timber with perhaps brick or stone cladding on the exterior.

Every support beam in the house is made up of TIMBER material. Should a fire start in any part of the house for whatever reasons, the whole house could be engulfed in flames very quickly, getting out of the house within 2 minutes is PARAMOUNT. Didn't she watch the TV advert teaching even young children to get out on their own in a fire. There is NO time for parents to go from bedroom to bedroom rescuing their children!

Opening a window and climbing out of the bedroom could be the only means of escape.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually grills make sense when you live in flats because you want to make sure toddlers & maids don't fall out of windows :smile:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore women NEVER change (really vomit blood) their SG mindsets. Inform your SG wife that FIXED window grilles are a DEATH TRAP because NZ houses are build mainly of timber with perhaps brick or stone cladding on the exterior.

Every support beam in the house is made up of TIMBER material. Should a fire start in any part of the house for whatever reasons, the whole house could be engulfed in flames very quickly, getting out of the house within 2 minutes is PARAMOUNT. Didn't she watch the TV advert teaching even young children to get out on their own in a fire. There is NO time for parents to go from bedroom to bedroom rescuing their children!

Opening a window and climbing out of the bedroom could be the only means of escape.

to those who are planning to migrate or have already migrated,

please behave like an Aussie or a Kiwi when you guys are living there. Stop behaving like a sinkie.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would toddlers and maid fall out of the window? The original reason why grilles were installed were due to spate of house-breakings that occurred in the 70s when designs had the long corridors and both parents had to work. Culprits would walk along the corridor and try their luck.

Overzealous chaps decided that if the grill is needed for the front exposed window might as well install to everything that is called a window or a balcony even it is on the 36th floor.

Actually grills make sense when you live in flats because you want to make sure toddlers & maids don't fall out of windows :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would toddlers and maid fall out of the window? The original reason why grilles were installed were due to spate of house-breakings that occurred in the 70s when designs had the long corridors and both parents had to work. Culprits would walk along the corridor and try their luck.

Overzealous chaps decided that if the grill is needed for the front exposed window might as well install to everything that is called a window or a balcony even it is on the 36th floor.

I also thought it was just a security issue until someone pointed out that families with children see it as a precautionary measure to protect their kids.

As for why kid/maids fall out of windows you can ask muphy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

Thats why you'll even find them even at condos where security is not an issue:smile:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmmm.. good idea! fire escape via windows.. interesting excuse :smile: I have installed a 9 nos motion detectors at facing all windows and entry areas.. I guess flies can't even escape this figure-of-8 formation :smile: Notwithstanding we are in a good suburb, where neighbours are driving Lexus or BMWs... break in ? lol, I'm sure we'll be the last on the list. I intend to build a 2m brickwall front fence in 6mths time and double glazed windows, I think it should be water-tight..

If she complains again.. we will return. The better way is to return to our HDB civil defence shelter with 600m thk concrete wall.. In the eyes of my wifey, SG HDB is still the best. PAP did well..

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
So in the end you still installed the grill? Yes, its a very difficult process, when i first came here, I still have the sinkie mentality that we need grill for the house we rent, its not safe to leave your window open at night etc etc. After 15 years, I leave my door open at night now. Wahahahahahah funny that it feels safer here then in Sinkieland where you get reports of all these "violents" "robberies" happening.

Yo bro, I run around naked.. with doors open.. I couldn't care less :biggrin:
I'm gonna let the bad news affect my daily life.. Today we have bombs, tomorrow we have SARS, next we have food poisoning or air contamination... so are we going to continue living happily or worried about the world is coming to an end ?

To get sinkies to change their mentality, I rather move the mountains.. as my wifey, LPPL.. gotto live with it... :o:(