• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah, turned into Balmoral Rd from Stevens Rd and went all the way through Chancery Lane until coming out at Thomson nr Novena. Used to take it for fun last time just to enjoy the leafy journey, but always confused it with CSS bus number 5

Now that CSS number 5 mentioned, I am trying to recall which route it serviced. Bloody shit, can't recall. Calling bro kohlianthye. He machiam elephant memory.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ladyhill quite similar to the hotel along Balmoral. Can't recall name of hotel. But half its room also pool view. If turn left from Dunearn Rd, hotel is on the left. There is another on the opposite side. Serves great food. Run by Hainanese. No swimming pool but big carpark in front of hotel.
You must be referring to Garden Hotel on the left from Dunearn Road and the Tudor Court on the right side (black and white colonial bungalow).
I use to patronise the area quite well.
In Garden the beer was cheap and ambience great.
Many foreigners use to stay there.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tuckshop at Canning Rise? ACPS sibo?

Correct! Spent 6 good years there. ECA on Saturday mornings were spent running at the Padang and after that 'exploration' at Fort Canning which had that air of mystery (well, to me then). Once in a while, I will climbed all the way to the top and walked down to other side to visit the defunct Van Kleef Aquarium. Or dropped by the colonial building (now Fort Canning Club, I think), changed out of my uniform and into a T-shirt, so that I can enter the amusement park at the basement or first floor to play the electronic bowling game. Sometimes, will cheong to Peninsula Shopping Centre, where at one corner of the first floor (nearer to the exit that leads to Funan now), there was a amusement centre where there are 'Space Invaders' and that Grand Prix racing game. Most of the time, I will just watched the highly skilled guys played because I can't last more than a minute. One game cost 20 cents, I think.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any bros recall City Shuttle bus number 3 that used to go through Balmoral Rd and end at Whampoa? Yellow coloured buses. 1970s.

Yes. I took that CSS 3 from the bus stop outside the Supreme House all the way to Chancery Lane where I will get off and walked to ACS. I generally prefer to take CSS 3 because the bus pass by Anderson Secondary School and Raffles Girls Secondary School, and I get the chance to see a few girls from those schools. The alternative was to take SBS 182 but that one went along Scotts Road and then Newton Circus, if I recall but no girls to see.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now that CSS number 5 mentioned, I am trying to recall which route it serviced. Bloody shit, can't recall. Calling bro kohlianthye. He machiam elephant memory.

Bro GD, Wish I could help you.
But the truth is that I DO NOT know much about these areas.
I was from a school deep inside a kampong.
Had to pass chicken coops, pig-sties and duck pens on way to sekolah.
Had no chance of going to Chancery Lane. Very atas area with rich people and nice homes.
Rajaratnam had his mansion there in centre of sprawling wooded estate.
Maybe if I had gone there I too could have fallen in love with some girls from top schools.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If not wrong it ply from bukit timah (Whitley) to shenton way....passing by balmoral too....also passing by old CID....you could have taken this to work that's why you have recollection.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I can recalled, CCS 5 terminal was located at Sing Ming/Thomson road. Similar routes of SBS 130.
The route is from Sing Ming to Anson road. I think it was later changed to other service number.

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
For football fans in this thread - nothing like Shoot! magazine back then, every week must rush to the nearest mamak stall to get the newest copy. Learnt so much about everything in the football world from just one magazine.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For football fans in this thread - nothing like Shoot! magazine back then, every week must rush to the nearest mamak stall to get the newest copy. Learnt so much about everything in the football world from just one magazine.

I used to save up for the hsrd cover annuals....I still keep the annuals in storage.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tiger & Scorcher, Roy of the Rovers, Beano, Dandy, Ritchie Rich, Dots, Casper the Friendly Ghost,

Besides Shoot, I vaguely remember there was also a Goal magazine that may have been incorporated into Shoot or some other magazine. Love the colourful cardboard League Tables that will come during the start of the season. Although we used to received the magazines 1 to 2 months after they were first published as it came in via sea freight and all news will quite dated by then .....not that we care anyway !

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I can recalled, CCS 5 terminal was located at Sing Ming/Thomson road. Similar routes of SBS 130.
The route is from Sing Ming to Anson road. I think it was later changed to other service number.

Yes CCS 5 terminal was at Sing Ming Road, it was a loop service, the service was damn slow, you miss one bus...the next one takes ages to come. There were no apps back then to tell you, when the next bus is arriving, it was like pot luck!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Kevin Keegan was the poster boy in Shoot! but expensive magazine. The other magazine invested is No. 1 magazine. :smile:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Number 1 and Smash Hits go hand in hand.
Bet you listened to BBC top of the pop and American top 40 on radio.
Hehehe. Yes listen to everything. Music was like the biggest invention since slice bread. Grew up in a strange environment, listen to English (including Casey Jones,think was FM 90.5) Hokkien, Cantonese, Melayu and even Tamil songs. Later Class 95.0 and 93.3 took over. There was even a time I tune in to Zoo 100, a Batam based 24 hour radio station.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

the other magazine is called 'Match'. almost the same style as 'shoot'. yeah, i still have lots of collector cards from these 2. recently i found stickers of premier league 95, with shiny stickers showing their club jersey. and also, klinnsman was in spurs, and i had that sticker. maybe have time, i attach the photos for all to see..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remembered Singapore Post? A sort of twice weekly tabloid....main attraction for teens were the message and penpal columns....to make friends of opposite sex....

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
i only remembered there was a time when the television teletext had some pages for making pen pals. some will leave address, while some leave hp number.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remembered Singapore Post? A sort of twice weekly tabloid....main attraction for teens were the message and penpal columns....to make friends of opposite sex....

Was this Singapore Post that came out after Student World.
It had lots of stories on planets, "aliens" and other science-fiction stuff.
Very cheap and very informative.
Most important very important to carry about.
Sikit Atas. Gals were attracted.

Remind me of a school mate.
He always loved carrying the thick novel, "The Great Expectations" to impress gals.
Sadly, he always failed his English Literature.
Later he was advised to carry the old Oxford Dictionary.
Only fools learn the dictionary IN AND OUT.
You know why????????????????