• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not been to Hai Yan (yeah, within same block as Indon Embassy then) but hear it's taiwan singer shows? Tropicana was also popular, before Holiday Inn was built thereabouts. Walau, you also go chiong jalan buksa?:p
Hehehe. Tag along with old folks. Best of the best was one uncle brought me to a LSB. Good old days when there is no age limit.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
One Storey ?

Scan-100704-0005.jpg

Has anybody mentioned:

1. Ladyhill hotel in Orange grove rd.
2. Troika
3. Ming Court hotel now Orchard Parade.
4. TTC (Teachers' Training college) on Paterson rd.
5. the first 17th storey HDB block at Strathmore Avenue.
6. The single storey SIT flats on Dawson Rd.

Why did they bothered to build single storey HDB flats ? Might as well don't build, rite ?

Ladyhill ? What so great about tis place ?

Ming Court Hotel ? It was renamed to Orchard Parade Hotel in 1991 under Far East Organisation.

To know history : Click Me

pic20.jpg

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rose Syrup

4570973978_df54e17e67.jpg

Bandung flavor was the mainstay....
Some add a sour plum inside the frozen lemonade or orange flavored drink

I drank a packet of 'bandung' a few months ago at Clementi food centre and market. I think the pineapple and the soursop ones are still available.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: One Storey ?

http://www.jodarl.com/shop/images/pc/sg/Scan-100704-0005.jpg?osCsid=acbf41ea7b986fbe6f5a33716207d5a3[/IMG

[COLOR="blue"]Why did they bothered to build single storey HDB flats ? Might as well don't build, rite ?

[/QUOTE]I think he meant the terrace houses...but those were 2 storeys

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember this cabaret/theatre call Hai Yan (海燕). Should be present day Wisma Atria/Ngee Ann City. The other not so old one is Tropicana (Scotts Road).

And the nightclub at Kitchener road call Amigo?

Amigo nightclub was owned by Yap Swee Hong and it was his side biz for him and his friends to have a good time.

During the Vietnam war, Yap had the monopoly to export from Vietnam all damaged US arm forces equipments, classified as scrap metal which included fighter planes, tanks, transport vehicles etc.

Yap was the man who built the Bedok Jetty in the 1966 for his vessels to unload all his scrap metal from Vietnam.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stand corrected. They had a second floor yes.

Ladyhill hotel was one of those things from the past I missed. Had some sentimental value.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gone !

220px-New_7th_Storey_Hotel,_Dec_05.JPG

Ladyhill hotel was one of those things from the past I missed. Had some sentimental value.

No, I still don't know anything about Ladyhill. But, the New 7th Storey Hotel kanna demolished, rite ? What a shame ! I think one of the main reasons is a systematic destruction of our culture to embrace FTs. The new gen Sinkies will have a united memory with these FTs.

It was announced on June 26, 2008 that the hotel will be demolished to make way for the new Bugis MRT station for the Downtown Line. The hotel's owner and occupants had to move out of the premises by the end of December 2008.[1]

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ladyhill hotel had sentimental value for me, bro. I didnt mean for Singaporeans in general. Just going with the thread.

It's been redeveloped into a condo.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
During the Vietnam war, Yap had the monopoly to export from Vietnam all damaged US arm forces equipments, classified as scrap metal which included fighter planes, tanks, transport vehicles etc.

Yap was the man who built the Bedok Jetty in the 1966 for his vessels to unload all his scrap metal from Vietnam.

Where was this jetty? In 1966, it was before the land reclamation so guess the original jetty no longer around?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ladyhill hotel had sentimental value for me, bro. I didnt mean for Singaporeans in general. Just going with the thread.

It's been redeveloped into a condo.

Condo is good. Anyway, I won't try to drive my car inside those places like Shangri La Hotel.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember this cabaret/theatre call Hai Yan (海燕). Should be present day Wisma Atria/Ngee Ann City. The other not so old one is Tropicana (Scotts Road).

And the nightclub at Kitchener road call Amigo?

I may be wrong about Hai Yan!!!

Are you refering the one close to Mohan's Dept Store.

On the ground floor. It was called MUCHO MU CHACHA

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Amigo nightclub was owned by Yap Swee Hong and it was his side biz for him and his friends to have a good time.

Was YAP SWEE HONG also a big time bookie?

He had a beautiful bungalow in old Kim Chuan Avenue.

His wife was from Taiwan.....

Always driving around open top Mercedes 190 Sports cars.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where was this jetty? In 1966, it was before the land reclamation so guess the original jetty no longer around?

http://library.thinkquest.org/C006891/reclamation.html

Land Reclamation in Singapore

Large-scale land reclamation has been undertaken in different parts of Singapore since the 1960s. This was necessary because of the small size of the country with
a total area being about 581.5km square prior to 1960.

In 1974 after the end of the Vietnam war, Bedok Jetty was acquired by MINDEF to be a military base for their military exercises before being opened for the public.

It was also used by the S'pore Armed Forces and the S'pore Navy during Operation Thunderstorm in 1975 to receive the refugees after the surrender of Saigon to
the North Vietnamese forces.

It cost Yap Swee Hong $1.5m to build the Bedok Jetty in 1966, and he did it to facilitate the moving of his daily shiploads of scrap iron from Vietnam to dump them
at the reclaimed land where the Bedok army camp is now located.

I must know about the history of Bedok Jetty cos in the 90's Swee Hong was my mahjong and poker khaki.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Was YAP SWEE HONG also a big time bookie?

He had a beautiful bungalow in old Kim Chuan Avenue.

His wife was from Taiwan.....

Always driving around open top Mercedes 190 Sports cars.

Not a big time bookie, but he was a very big gambler in mahjong, poker, horse-betting, speculation in rubber, gold and stock market.

He's very sick now and living a very quiet life in Mt Sinai.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not a big time bookie, but he was a very big gambler in mahjong, poker, horse-betting, speculation in rubber, gold and stock market.

He's very sick now and living a very quiet life in Mt Sinai.

Merl Haggard, my humble apologies for what was written above.

May Mr Yap Swee Hong have all the comfort that he needs while going through sickness.

So sorry...

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ladyhill Hotel was famous for her satay served in the coffee house, and this particular satay from a certain vendor whom I happen to know was chosen by none other than the patriarch himself.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Merl Haggard, my humble apologies for what was written above.

May Mr Yap Swee Hong have all the comfort that he needs while going through sickness.

So sorry...

No problem lah.

I think in the 80's Yap Swee Hong was on par with Ng Teng Fong cos Moscow Norodny Bank could loan him up to $400m - $500m which later led him to his downfall in his biz ventures.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ladyhill Hotel was famous for her satay served in the coffee house, and this particular satay from a certain vendor whom I happen to know was chosen by none other than the patriarch himself.

Ladyhill hotel was also popular with those who 'steal eat' coz of its location. Junior Police Officers' Mess within walking distance.