• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gone r the days when bk used to serve genuine size whopper
gone r the days when mcdonald used to serve quater-pounder
gone r the days when mcdonald used to serve genuine size big mac
gone r the days when a&w was still around, & the rootbeer float was a hot favorite
gone r the days when smokers weren't confined to the yellow-box
gone r the days when epl was available & needless to subscribe to cable tv
gone r the days when gst never existed
gone r the days when single-income bread winner can sustain the entire household

gone r the days when we also have wimpy; hardees, yazawas to compete with mcdonalds; bk; kfc
gone r the days when kfc was known as kentucky fried chicken and service was table-side!:d

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;7Pa5H_4lBXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pa5H_4lBXs[/video]

This one also can la.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this song is made for the movie: The Graduate, starring Dustin Hoffman?
Yes, theme on his affair with MILF:p. Excerpt from wikepedia:

Mrs. Robinson" is a song written by Paul Simon and first performed by Simon & Garfunkel. When released as a single in 1968, it hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US, for their second chart-topping hit after "The Sound of Silence". An early version of the song appeared in the motion picture The Graduate (1967) and its subsequent soundtrack, while the complete song debuted on their album Bookends (1968).[1] The song earned the duo a Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1969.
In the film The Graduate, listless recent college graduate Benjamin Braddock has an affair with an older married woman, Mrs. Robinson...

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
really?
Athough he may be very smart (SAFOS), I do not believe that he would be an effective CDF.

I have no idea whether it was true or not as a Navy regular, who was a captain then, told me back in 2003. Back then, the RSS Courageous incident was in the news.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
really?
Athough he may be very smart (SAFOS), I do not believe that he would be an effective CDF.

I have no idea whether it was true or not as a Navy regular, who was a captain then, told me back in 2003. Back then, the RSS Courageous incident was in the news.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. I remember the noodle stalls. I think there were two. One sold "sek mee" (the big fat yellow noodles) with a few slices of fish cake and slapped with the chilli sauce if you are having it dry. One bowl was going for 20 cents or 30 cents and you can buy one whole fish cake for 20 cents. This stall is closer to the drinks and titbits stall end and i think is located next to the cup drink stall.

The other noodle stall is located somewhere in the middle, and the noodle served is "mee kia". This one comes with char siew, if I recall correctly, and the stall was manned by 2 middle-aged ladies.

Of course, the soup was what kept us boys going to the stalls. A few of us even got a earful from the stall owners for depleting their soup stock! But then we just grinned sheepishly because the soup was heavenly to us then.

I remember the muslim stall though. It didn't occur to me then that it was indian rojak as I was also wondering what those bits and pieces were. In the end, I never got to eat it because I just don't know how to order. Me was blur sotong.

During my time, the principal was Mrs Lim Chew Swee. Senior Assistants were Mr Fong Seng Narp, Mrs Christina Yap and Mr Lim Keng Boon. Met Mr Lim Keng Boon's daugther in NUS when she was doing her chemical engineering course in the early 1990s.

Yes. The Methodist Book Room. I usually go inside there to get the air con on a hot day!

That's right. The 'tua mee' stall just nest to the cup drink stall. Her business not as good as the other.

Was told the 2 middle-aged ladies running the middle stall never got married.

Yes, I know the staff you mentioned. Mrs Yap was a teacher when I was there. Her son took part in one of the Talentime contest. Terrence was a jee seow kia in Barker Rd. Never made it to "O" levels. He left to join the SAF Boys' School. Any idea who's left? I am aware Mrs Lim and Mrs Yap left us many years ago. I also recall a Mr Koh Kah Peck. There was one Mr Ong who left to join YMCA, I think.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can just reject? I know HSK has moved on to greater heights but would there be negative career implications if a scholar turn down the offer? The one I have heard was Lui TY was offered CDF but he too turned it down.

Scholars are privileged people in the civil service. Not only can reject. Can also ask for special posting no scholar ever went to. Take the present CP for example. He asked for posting to STAR as OC. That post never filled by scholar. Always orang lama.

If I recall correctly, HSK was offered the post when he was PPS to LKY.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scholars are privileged people in the civil service. Not only can reject. Can also ask for special posting no scholar ever went to. Take the present CP for example. He asked for posting to STAR as OC. That post never filled by scholar. Always orang lama.

If I recall correctly, HSK was offered the post when he was PPS to LKY.

Thanks for the explanation. I never thought that the young man whom I met in 1985 will be CP one day. His younger brother was my classmate.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's right. The 'tua mee' stall just nest to the cup drink stall. Her business not as good as the other.

Was told the 2 middle-aged ladies running the middle stall never got married.

Yes, I know the staff you mentioned. Mrs Yap was a teacher when I was there. Her son took part in one of the Talentime contest. Terrence was a jee seow kia in Barker Rd. Never made it to "O" levels. He left to join the SAF Boys' School. Any idea who's left? I am aware Mrs Lim and Mrs Yap left us many years ago. I also recall a Mr Koh Kah Peck. There was one Mr Ong who left to join YMCA, I think.

I just went into ACPS website to check. There is only one teacher who was there during my time in ACPS and shown on the website are and she is Ms Lee Kam Har (Chinese).

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the explanation. I never thought that the young man whom I met in 1985 will be CP one day. His younger brother was my classmate.

Trust me, you are not alone. He was only a contender about a year before his appointment. He never featured in the race till the last few minutes! Would have been Lock Wai Han if he had stayed on. Thereagain, Lock could have made the headlines even before Peter Lim and Ng Boon Gay. He was that great. Btw, both Lock and Joo Hee shared something in common with the previous CP - The Best Is Yet To Be.

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trust me, you are not alone. He was only a contender about a year before his appointment. He never featured in the race till the last few minutes! Would have been Lock Wai Han if he had stayed on. Thereagain, Lock could have made the headlines even before Peter Lim and Ng Boon Gay. He was that great. Btw, both Lock and Joo Hee shared something in common with the previous CP - The Best Is Yet To Be.

I first came across Lock in NCC which he joined in Sec 2. I remember him because he was the only Sec 2 among us Sec 1s and he was very serious and focused. Did he leave the civil service when his term ended or was it for some other reason?

I met NJH when he was awaiting his A level results. I think among his batch in ACS and ACJC, he is the most high flying.

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
I first came across Lock in NCC which he joined in Sec 2. I remember him because he was the only Sec 2 among us Sec 1s and he was very serious and focused. Did he leave the civil service when his term ended or was it for some other reason?

I met NJH when he was awaiting his A level results. I think among his batch in ACS and ACJC, he is the most high flying.

So young already so Siao on ar?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lock chiongs Lido Palace too often. Even if in the company of Peter Lim. This chap had too many skeletons in his cupboard. He made the right choice leaving the SPF. I recall he was DS somewhere after leaving the police.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lock chiongs Lido Palace too often. Even if in the company of Peter Lim. This chap had too many skeletons in his cupboard. He made the right choice leaving the SPF. I recall he was DS somewhere after leaving the police.

DS as in Deputy Permanent Secreatry?
Did he leave as a DAC?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DS as in Deputy Permanent Secreatry?
Did he leave as a DAC?

DS is Dy Sec. No Dy PS post in the civil service. The wierdest is post of Snr DS. KBH has that honour. I suppose he isn't good enough to be a PS or even 2 PS but too malu for him to be DS. Quite creative.