• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow !

I adored the two "Teenage" books, and they both coincided with that time in my life just after O levels, 3 mth JC probation, panicking over O level results, going separate ways with old schoolmates and and having actual friends and loves from the opposite sex.

Sadly, Adrian Lim grew up too, from the young immature idealist that he was into a suit-and-tie lawyer.

The Teenage Textbook is a novel by the Singaporean author Adrian Tan, published in 1988. The book was a bestseller in Singapore, and was followed by a sequel, The Teenage Workbook, in 1989. The books followed the life of a female student named Mui Ee, studying at the fictitious Paya Lebar Junior College in Singapore. The two books sold over 50,000 copies. Tan wrote the books while he was an undergraduate law student at the National University of Singapore.

In 1998, The Teenage Textbook was made into a film (The Teenage Textbook Movie) starring Melody Chen and Caleb Goh, which topped the box office in Singapore for four weeks. It was also made into a stage play by The Necessary Stage, starring Hossan Leong and Mark Richmond.

[video=youtube;X2IhexkPyHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2IhexkPyHg[/video]

I see.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Wow !

I spend sometime in this place for the weekends. Free flowing drinks, poker and swimming. It was a great time in the old days.:smile:

pulau-ubin131.jpg

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

My Cantonese neighbours had this on 24 hours a day. Imagine 4 brothers, their wives and children all living in the same attap house sharing the same kitchen. It was a huge attap house, each family having separate quarters. It was pretty common in those days for families like them to live together. I simply cannot imagine how they live together in harmony.

6978103936_05822b8896_z.jpg

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The Circus Came To Town!!

As a child I was very excited when the circus came to Singapore. One day while playing and swimming at the beach, I was astounded to see a few elephants with their mahouts there. They were also taking a bath at the seaside. A really memorable day.:biggrin:

the-great-royal-circus-of-india-1968.jpg

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Watched Foodage Just now

I miss live poultry sold at wet markets. Back then, the wet markets were really 'wet'.

I missed the old Tiong Bahru market where I can see how chickens were slaughtered from beginning to end as a kid.

For some strange reason the new market feel so much smaller than the old one.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Missed those days when my friends and I would go into forested areas to trap merbah jambuls and mata putehs.

At times we also spend lots of days catching grasshoppers and selling them to bird lovers for some pocket money.

mulvi74

Alfrescian
Loyal

The late 80s early 90s were my first trips overseas by myself without parents. Stayed with my cousins in Newton. So many memories. Cassettes at far east, copy Lacoste shirts at Lucky Plaza, nights at the hard rock, fire disco, the fat mammasan outside orchard towers negotiating with old Ang mos, tekka market lunches, kicking a ball on the grass field beside tekka market, buying rare roast beef from the cold storage at the back of chancery lane near bukit timah rd and crispy French baguettes from delifrance, chicken rice from novena and my best was selling the brick game for my uncle's business in the big shopping centre at marina bay where he had a temporary stall before Xmas (92 I think). So so many great memories. Singapore was proper Asia back then, shame it has become more westernized with brand stores etc. much of the charm lost.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal

I miss live poultry sold at wet markets. Back then, the wet markets were really 'wet'. Waterproof footwear is recommended if you're going there.

I remember they used to pull a chicken out from the cage, weigh it, slit the throat and throw into an oil drum and let it struggle till its lifeless. Pick it up, throw into some boiling water and pluck out the feathers before presenting it to the customer. Quite a gory scene ....

We sure knew where our chicken meat came from unlike the young ones who have only seen the cleanly packaged chicken in supermarkets

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Missed those lazy family Sunday beach outings digging siput remis. We can get a bucketful within 2-3 hours of diligent digging.

shells2.jpg

SNC00498.jpg

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Missed those lazy family Sunday beach outings digging siput remis. We can get a bucketful within 2-3 hours of diligent digging.

those pictures you put are are clams aka bivalves.
siput look like this...

siput-sedut-masak-lemak.jpg