• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Breakfast Club

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know about now but my time, I was issued with six sets. There's no per year basis. If worn out then requisite for replacement. Laundry and ironing were no problem at all. Hotel took care and all billed between hotel and airline. We usually travel with three sets, one set we wear and two sets standby. Those were very good, better than what we bought at shopping centres for ourselves, tailor-made-to-measure. But by airline contract tailor of course.
What about the training? Where and how long does it take? Is it manufacturer specific? Boeing and Air Bus are quite different. Even Boeing has so many different type of planes?

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about the training? Where and how long does it take? Is it manufacturer specific? Boeing and Air Bus are quite different. Even Boeing has so many different type of planes?

It took about 3 months before we're allowed to serve on flight. I don't know much about AirBus since then JAL had only Boeing planes. The service course was mostly in Singapore except for a safety course one week in California, when we had to train co-ordination with pilots.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

your questions might be able to find in google or airline company :wink:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It took about 3 months before we're allowed to serve on flight. I don't know much about AirBus since then JAL had only Boeing planes. The service course was mostly in Singapore except for a safety course one week in California, when we had to train co-ordination with pilots.
Understand the airline pass is quite useful. Can get steep discount at many branded stores and also priority entrances to many night spots.

your questions might be able to find in google or airline company :wink:
Really? Pai say ,pai say. Will google a bit next time?
please don't zap me. :smile:

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL...this is a litmus test.

I litmus test you all back. Why must all seats be upright, seat belts tightened and window shutters be up at take-off and landing? You all have a whole night to think and Google. I'm logging off and going for dinner now. :wink:

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I litmus test you all back. Why must all seats be upright, seat belts tightened and window shutters be up at take-off and landing? You all have a whole night to think and Google. I'm logging off and going for dinner now. :wink:
Hi Irene,
Thanks. You have been very helpful. :smile:

Yes, please share the information regarding the seats, windows and take off and landing. Think many bros here never take aeroplane before.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I litmus test you all back. 1) Why must all seats be upright, 2) seat belts tightened and 3) window shutters be up at take-off and landing? You all have a whole night to think and Google. I'm logging off and going for dinner now. :wink:

1) in case the wheels came off during landing or take off people can run easily
2) in case the wheels came off during landing or take off people will not get flung easily
3) in case the wheels came off during landing or take off rescuers can see how many dead how many alive

tio bo :biggrin:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need even 10 seconds lah, but lazy for the rest:rolleyes:. Here is the first part, just to entertain you:biggrin:;

"Most airline regulations have a safety purpose behind them. Safety is the reason airplane seats must be upright for takeoff and landing.

Airplane seats are meant to recline for passenger comfort. They allow the passenger to nap or sit more comfortably. This is especially important on a longer flight.

A primary purpose for upright airplane seats is ease of egress, or exiting, from the plane. In a non-emergency situation, deplaning would be a much longer and more inconvenient process if passengers had to nearly climb over seat backs in order to get to the aisles of the aircraft. The economy classes in most aircraft have an average seat pitch (the space between seats in a row) of about 31 inches (78.7 centimeters). This is a tight fit with upright airplane seats. It is easy to imagine how small the space becomes when a seat back intrudes into the already narrow area.

In emergency situations, clear access to the aircraft aisles is imperative. Passengers must be able to reach the emergency exits as quickly as possible. Since most aircraft emergencies occur during takeoff or landing, having the airplane seats up at this time is crucial. It also allows passengers to assume the "crash position" if necessary."

The reason why they want all shades up is because, airlines rely on passenger's vision of the whole outer aircraft. The only people who can see the engines and what happens in the surroundings, are their passengers. Crew who are seated at their crew seats, will not be able to see a whole lot of the plane's exterior. And obviously, planes do not have rear view or side view mirrors.

Thinking from a passenger's point of view, if you see something wrong going on outside, you would panic and call for the flight attendant immediately. Right? So that is how, flight crew would be alerted if anything goes wrong: by the passengers.

As for closing them at night, it differs with airlines. Most major airlines (SIA, MAS, Cathay pacific, Qantas) would still ask you to have it remain open, but they will turn off the cabin lights. (I actually don't know which airlines would ask you to close the shade as it is a safety procedure) Same thing, when you turn off the lights, you would be able to see the outside of the plane and report for anything that goes wrong.

Also, in any case of emergency, you will know not to go to the side with fire, or submerged into water by looking out the nearest window.

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a no brainer that the most dangerous part of a flight cycle is during the take-off and landing of an aircraft.

Switching and dimming of cabin lights and opening all the window shades during landing and taking off is also for flight safety reasons. In an emergency passengers can see better from darkness to brightness but not the other way round. The emergency strips along the aisles can be seen in darkness to lead the passengers to the exits. Open windows is also for the passengers to view outside the aircraft to be more aware of what is really happening in an emergency.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
We must be all former JAL air stewards in this forum:biggrin: Botak included.

It's a no brainer that the most dangerous part of a flight cycle is during the take-off and landing of an aircraft.

Switching and dimming of cabin lights and opening all the window shades during landing and taking off is also for flight safety reasons. In an emergency passengers can see better from darkness to brightness but not the other way round. The emergency strips along the aisles can be seen in darkness to lead the passengers to the exits. Open windows is also for the passengers to view outside the aircraft to be more aware of what is really happening in an emergency.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We must be all former JAL air stewards in this forum:biggrin: Botak included.
Wah, come back from dinner and found so many former JAL air stewards in SBF. Hajimemashite. Dozo Yoroshiku.

Please la chonburifc is certainly not detective, I believe he truly is seeking job opportunity in JAL. Chai Mai Pi ?
Not detective lah. But also no chance to work in JAL, unless there is a demand for a short ,overage, Ah Beng Air Steward. :wink:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

care to tell us, which model r u certified on?

[h=3]Fleet history[/h]

JAL Boeing 747-100SR with stretched upper deck in 1987​

The airline's last McDonnell Douglas MD-11 J-Bird (JA8582) operated its final flight as Japan Airlines Flight 730 from Hong Kong International Airport to Narita International Airport on October 12, 2004. The aircraft was originally introduced into service on April 1, 1994.[SUP][123][/SUP][SUP][124][/SUP] In addition, the airline operated its last two McDonnell Douglas DC-10 flights on October 31, 2005. One aircraft, JA8543, operated as Japan Airlines Flight 736 from Hong Kong International Airport to Narita International Airport, touched down at 16:05. Another aircraft, JA8541, operated as Japan Airlines Flight 952 from Incheon International Airport to Narita International Airport, touched down at 16:37. This marked the DC-10's last flight with the airline, ending over 30 years of operations for this model.[SUP][123][/SUP]
The airline phased out three Boeing 747-200Fs in the 2008 financial year;[SUP][125][/SUP] and operated its last Boeing 747-300 Classic Jumbo Jet as JALways Flight 73 from Honolulu International Airport to Narita International Airport on July 30, 2009, after 26 years of service to the airline group. The aircraft was met on arrival by the "Father of the 747", Mr Joseph F. "Joe" Sutter.[SUP][126][/SUP] One former JAL 747SR is now being used as a NASA Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.[SUP][127][/SUP] The airline plans to retire all of its Boeing 747 and Airbus A300-600 aircraft by March 2011.[SUP][128][/SUP] The airline retired its last Boeing 747 on March 1, 2011. The last flight was a flight from Honolulu International Airport to Narita International Airport, ending 41 years of service with the Boeing 747.[SUP][129][/SUP]

JAL Boeing 747-300 in 2008​