• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah! a bunch of old men talking about the good old days on a sat night can roll out 200 plus message in a thread!!! find it funny so many people talking about katong, but a few on gay world??? :confused: :*: :biggrin:

i thought those amusement parks were icon for entertainment during those era?

jardine steps is where the harbour front now. structure still there but not in use for many yrs.

finger pier location now having a expressway construction going on. i remember there used to have a canteen right?

clifford pier, many fond memories. now part of a hotel and the main structure is a restaurant now. but still can walk around outside if u want to.

Yes! a canteen, a stall there sells a yummy Char Kway Teow ( with HUM), which I will make it a point to go there to eat..there is no finger pier now. If one and all can remember, near there was the Prince Edward Road Car Park Street Hawkers, in the day it is a car park, at night the hawkers will appear like "toadstools after the rain". My favorite is the Indian Mee Siam, the one with the pink colored gravy made by those Indians with the surnames "Ram" from Gujarati India ( I think). the same kind of Indian, that sell bread with kaya, margarine, sugi cake from the back of the bicycle with a box, that open downwards.

There was a bus terminal around those parts, finger pier area..

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes! a canteen, a stall there sells a yummy Char Kway Teow ( with HUM), which I will make it a point to go there to eat..there is no finger pier now. If one and all can remember, near there was the Prince Edward Road Car Park Street Hawkers, in the day it is a car park, at night the hawkers will appear like "toadstools after the rain". My favorite is the Indian Mee Siam, the one with the pink colored gravy made by those Indians with the surnames "Ram" from Gujarati India ( I think). the same kind of Indian, that sell bread with kaya, margarine, sugi cake from the back of the bicycle with a box, that open downwards.

I recall the bus terminus.
I believe the Singapore Poly (only poly then) had its campus there.
In fact, a few of the Accountancy professors who may now be teaching at SMU, had their classes at that location.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In fact, a few of the Accountancy professors who may now be teaching at SMU, had their classes at that location.

It is now known as Bestway Building, went there last year, work related trip. If I am not mistaken, Channel 12 was located, and the same building before it was Bestway, there was a beer garden!?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is now known as Bestway Building, went there last year, work related trip. If I am not mistaken, Channel 12 was located, and the same building before it was Bestway, there was a beer garden!?

Channel 12 no longer there. Before that was a vitb I think (before they renamed to ite).
I used to go there to pick up a fb who works in travel agency there....now only go there for the ba chor mee.

Further down PSA gate use to be glutton's corner

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
haha pi =3.1426....

Was trying to remember what to call that book of tables, thanks for jogging for memory, blue book of Logarithm tables, nowadays kids had it so good, they can use that Casio Scientific Calculator, before than was the Texas Instrument or HP Calculator. Years, years back, if one own a TI or HP calculator, it is a "wahhhh!"

I have forgotten, ages didn't use..pi= how many decimal points??:biggrin:

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two of my treasured possessions during the 1970s - My LED Casio watch - the one that is totally black and you need to press the button by the side to light up the time, my Sony Walkman - the bulky one. Anyone remember those? TVs at that time come in a cabinet with a roller door.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yes! the old singapore poly! now its famous for the bar chor mee inside.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yes, finger pier long time ago no more there. its where the bend of prince edward rd there. now can see construction of the new expressway, will join the keppel flyover once its done. traffic from the east going to west will not be cutting through city anymore. u still can see the T1 container terminal there.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bestway Building...there was a beer garden!?
Crabshack (at least it was named few years back). Dead in weekends, but for live footy (MU fans) then. Had big CL victory 2008 with medicorpse coverage (as luck would have it, power outage on cameras!)

Way before (in keeping with thread) Indian muslim food stalls ...moved to west coast hawker centre, some proudly listed on signboards 'shenton way etc'

Last edited:

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Metro - really big-time in 70s and used to be everywhere, Golden Mile/Supreme House/Scotts, maybe even one at Marine Parade if I'm not wrong.

Yaohan - aka Plaza Singapura (nothing like the horrific present version), back then it was every kid's favourite shopping centre coz they had arcade (basement), an-pan bakery (b1) and some jap bookstore on L2 to read comics for free

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
difficult to smuggle la bro...those days the table calculators were quite big......easier to smuggle abacus :smile:

Here's my treasured coLLection bro, at Least 30 years' oLd :

sharp1.jpg

sharp2.jpg

Uses 2 x AA bat.StiLL in working condition ! ! :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember Metro not only for the shops but the old man has his many mistress. He put them in different parts of the kids would go to different schools.

They began complaining about Mustafa and the cheap perfumes and finally gave up. Thought it was CK Tang that might give up.

Anyone remember the Johor Queens entourage once a month parked in fron of CK Tang and they had a door man specially for her. CK Tang had the best service bar none in the retail industry. Old man really took care of his staff. Even Policeman would borrow one of his Merc for weddings. One in a million businessman who cared for his staff.

Metro - really big-time in 70s and used to be everywhere, Golden Mile/Supreme House/Scotts, maybe even one at Marine Parade if I'm not wrong.

Yaohan - aka Plaza Singapura (nothing like the horrific present version), back then it was every kid's favourite shopping centre coz they had arcade (basement), an-pan bakery (b1) and some jap bookstore on L2 to read comics for free