• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop killing our hawker culture

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's we Sinkies can't handle the truth. Honestly speaking, a lot of our Sinkies are still living in denial and delusion. I talked to a lot of people everyday due to my work and I can say Sinkies deserved what they voted for.

Damn, have to agreed with you!

But then these blur fuck Sinkie are still complaining, so what one might ask?:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think partially its all this nonsensical upgrading at the drop of a farkin hat which the NEA permits to be done like once every 3 years ....what the heck, i dont think anybody else renovates as often as the way the NEA upgrades its hawker centres....how do you really justify upgrading a hawker centre 3 times in 10 years anyway???? Either the last upgrading was not done properly or they are needlessly wasting public funds for some other ulterior motives.....

There's a motive and it's not even 'ulterior' since it's not exactly a secret.

Upgraded facilities bring higher rent.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think partially its all this nonsensical upgrading at the drop of a farkin hat which the NEA permits to be done like once every 3 years ....what the heck, i dont think anybody else renovates as often as the way the NEA upgrades its hawker centres....how do you really justify upgrading a hawker centre 3 times in 10 years anyway???? Either the last upgrading was not done properly or they are needlessly wasting public funds for some other ulterior motives.....

Having NTUC and any other corporate entity take over hawker food will just mean the end of whatever thats left of us Singaporeans. If the govt wants to encourage this industry then it will call for a closer listening to the ground.... if you ask me, if the PAP wanna start showing people that they are different and are ready to change ... try doing the smaller stuff like how they could help keep the hawker traditions alive instead of trying to kill off the hawkers and making their lives unprofitable....

You wrong leh, the public hospitals run by Pappy corporatisation renovates more often than even the Istana and NEA!

The Sinkie truly deserves what they asked for! LOL

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I saw 1 (male) working as an assistant to a Pig Organ Soup stall at a coffeeshop in Aljunied GRC..

He'll learn the skills from the stall owner and later on set up his own stall selling Pig Organ Soup Pinoy style.. He'll promote his Pig organ Soup to the Pinoys community here.. Pinoys love eating dishes that are made from various pork parts..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a motive and it's not even 'ulterior' since it's not exactly a secret.

Upgraded facilities bring higher rent.

that a simple way to look at it. higher rent money go back to govt.

u shd look at money going out. millions were quoted for the "upgrade" but the end products dun really look like millions was used, but millions were paid out. paid to who huh???:rolleyes:

jw5

Loyal
There's nothing that we can do to stop this other than with the vote.
In the meantime, I suggest that we eat often at good hawker centre and coffee shop stalls.
Patronize these stalls because they serve the best food at the most reasonable prices. Not cheap anymore, nothing is, but more reasonable.

We should have more threads recommending good hawker and coffee shop food in this forum.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would like to invite everyone here to air their views about this latest PAP move to allow for corporatising of hawker centres,.....

apart from driving the last of the precious and cherished hawkers into retirement or into selling all kinds of "high priced foods instead of looking after those who do their "cottage" industry types of foods with their "commercial" rents... Now they wanna let their kakis in sheng siong and NTUC take over hawker centres....

Please leave the damm hawkers alone dammit!!!

INSTEAD of inviting a bunch of people who know jackshit about hawker centres like Elim Chew (wtf does selling clothes to kids gotta do with hawker centres???) they should have just gotten the likes of Dr Leslie Tay (from I eat.ishoot.i post) or the like.....

or they can't handle the truth????

hi there

1. bro, such specimens are all for the money thing.
2. pure & plain greed!
3. making some quick bucks out from dafter sheep.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Also.. anyone else notice nowadays more and more hawker food got more MSG in them? They short-cut by using MSG, as opposed to boiling pure and better stock for hours??

Someone should come up with a MSG-free sticker..

jw5

Loyal
Also.. anyone else notice nowadays more and more hawker food got more MSG in them? They short-cut by using MSG, as opposed to boiling pure and better stock for hours??

Someone should come up with a MSG-free sticker..

It's been like that for years, but the better stalls continue to do it the authentic (and hard) way, which tastes better and is healthier too.

Btw, I'm not Joel, jw stands for birdtalk. :smile:

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's been like that for years, but the better stalls continue to do it the authentic (and hard) way, which tastes better and is healthier too.

Btw, I'm not Joel, jw stands for birdtalk. :smile:

How do you tell which is the authentic and hard way? and which is the non-authentic and easy way? Hate the tongue itch and thirst after..

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN, PRCs making selling roti prata, chilli mee, fish porridge in hawker centres and food court. Frozen prata, packet curry and thats prata. Chilli + Mee = Chilli Mee. Rice + soup + fish + teochew fish porridge.... NA BEi

Even Jack's Place also PRC cook. NO MORE JACK's PLACE for me

Told myself, when go and eat singapore hawker fare, will NOT buy from PRCs prepared local fare.

If eat chinese specialities, dont mind eating a PRC chef prepared dish.

jw5

Loyal
How do you tell which is the authentic and hard way? and which is the non-authentic and easy way? Hate the tongue itch and thirst after..

Sometimes u can tell from the taste, sometimes from the reputation of the stall, other times u may have to ask and hope they tell the truth.

Some seasoning will be unavoidable, the question is how much. Some of these food court stalls, the soup is almost all artificially made, save time for them. That's why we should treasure and patronize the good stalls which continue to serve good food and totally ignore those which cut corners.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How about getting this seLf-procLaimed Foodie Mr Know-aLL Setoh aka Makansutra to be the crusader for the
'Save Our Hawker Food' campaign ?...:eek:

jw5

Loyal
If eat chinese specialities, dont mind eating a PRC chef prepared dish.

I like spicy sichuan and hunan food and there are some eateries selling these, cooked and run by prcs which is fine by me.
Finally, we get the taste of sichuan here without having to go to a restaurant (some not all), which you would previously be able to get in sichuan, chongqing, or other cities in china. These are the value added or useful foreigners in my book.

Those prc workers who come all the way here from China just to work at a food stall and make a feeble attempt to cook laksa, prawn noodles or some other local food, most of these are hopeless.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno about Seetoh man... he was the one who might have unwittingly started this corporatization bullshit runnin in the first place with his own "food street".

i think the best way for the hawkers to save themselves from these hungry greedy bastards will be to form their own hawkers union.... but as usual, i can already smell another failure in the making because you will have the PAPpy dogs taking over and running like their own shop if there is gonna be any mass bargaining power at play....