• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Speak Dialects, you feel tribal ! Speak mandarin, it will break unity!

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL!!!

He asked people to learn mandarin only when necessary. He didn't encourage people to learn mandarin, because mandarin is necessary.

no wat, he said "learn mandarin only" leh.... that means he is saying we shld learn mandarin alone if the circumstances dictate....that is encouraging ppl to learn mandarin wat...if not what is it?

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
my view very simple, don't care mandarin or dialect, just learnt! all r our rich culture. for me i speak fluent mandarin and very good hokkien(now still learning , i want to achieve lao hokkien level), i even learn other dialect, my malay also can chali makan one. it is fun and no matter wat is all chinese language. for pap the jackasss they just just commerical machine, they r not human being, eveything got their benifit agenda. speak mandarin because we r chinese, don't get other factor involve, then we will be more happy in life, ....

lnchwmn_rules

Alfrescian
Loyal
because u had edit away the words after 'learn mandarin only'. the full sentence is "Keep your dialects, teach your children and learn mandarin only when necessary."

oh issit ....now we read full sentences issit?

ok let uncle see the full sentence:

"Keep your dialects, ..........teach your children and learn mandarin only .................when necessary."

no difference leh...he say learn mandarin alone mah when necessary.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh issit ....now we read full sentences issit?

ok let uncle see the full sentence:

"Keep your dialects, ..........teach your children and learn mandarin only .................when necessary."

no difference leh...he say learn mandarin alone mah when necessary.

LOL!!! u still think the TS is encouraging people to learn mandarin? thats your language skill standard??? LOL!!!!

lnchwmn_rules

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL!!! u still think the TS is encouraging people to learn mandarin? thats your language skill standard??? LOL!!!!

like i said, it sounds fine :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes::p

and it is clear to me that TS is encouraging people to learn mandarin since he said "LEARN MANDARIN ONLY" and not "learn mandarin and dialects" ...WHEN NECESSARY.

that means:

Learn mandarin alone when it is necessary....LOL like dat also uncle must teach you......

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
like i said, it sounds fine :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes::p

and it is clear to me that TS is encouraging people to learn mandarin since he said "LEARN MANDARIN ONLY" and not "learn mandarin and dialects" ...WHEN NECESSARY.

that means:

Learn mandarin alone when it is necessary....LOL like dat also uncle must teach you......

i had state my piece. i will let fellow forum members to decide for themselves.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
All dialects are languages without an army and navy...If a dialect had an army or a navy, it would become a language.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Care to make it more literal i do not get your anology.

what he means is who ever in power, his words are official. For instance, China is taken by the communist who comes from the North, speaking mainly Mandarin, they adopt Mandarin as official language.

If it has been the South, it might be Cantonese, Hokkien or Teo Chew.

Anyway, my trip to Guang Dong is quite fruitful. I also learn that the Southern Chinese consider the Northern Chinese bias to the North ad trying to channel major events to the Northern side of China. I noted that the Guang Dong people are quite proud of their achievements with the Exhibition halls, their city highways and stuffs because they managed these without fundings from the Central Government.

My guess is the same for Fujian and Chao Zhou area.

Another thing that I also learn is that even for the North, Shanghai and Beijing are not in good term. They are always fighting for leadership. I used to work in a company where they have people from both Shanghai and Beijing. Although both comes from China, they neve mix.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what he means is who ever in power, his words are official. For instance, China is taken by the communist who comes from the North, speaking mainly Mandarin, they adopt Mandarin as official language.

Anyway, my trip to Guang Dong is quite fruitful. I also learn that the Southern Chinese consider the Northern Chinese bias to the North ad trying to channel major events to the Northern side of China. I noted that the Guang Dong people are quite proud of their achievements with the Exhibition halls, their city highways and stuffs because they managed these without fundings from the Central Government.

Another thing that I also learn is that even for the North, Shanghai and Beijing are not in good term. They are always fighting for leadership. I used to work in a company where they have people from both Shanghai and Beijing. Although both comes from China, they neve mix.

The shanghai vs beijing thing is interesting cos i read an article by time about 1 shanghainese gal whom was shy to admit she watched the oylmpics. Apparently they were mad that they chose beijing to host it rather than shanghai so they decided to boycott the oympics in protest i guess which is stupid since the whole world sees them as china not beijing or shanghai etc etc.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The shanghai vs beijing thing is interesting cos i read an article by time about 1 shanghainese gal whom was shy to admit she watched the oylmpics. Apparently they were mad that they chose beijing to host it rather than shanghai so they decided to boycott the oympics in protest i guess which is stupid since the whole world sees them as china not beijing or shanghai etc etc.

Both Beijing and Shanghai competing with each other for the "Dai Khoh" (big brother) position. Shanghai does not like the way Beijing pulling its nose because Shanghai is the Financial centre, and they have money. Beijing on the other hand is the political centre and tried to influence Shanghai using its political advantage.

While in the South, the people are not happy that the North has graded them like second class citizen. While Shanghai is the financial centre. The Southern end seems to be the Business and trading district.

I donno why, somehow the situation gives me the metaphoric feeling of Romance of Three Kingdom. I still remember the story of Hui Neng, When he saw Wu Zu, Wu Zu called him the "Southern Barbarian". Very interesting view of a Northerner.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both Beijing and Shanghai competing with each other for the "Dai Khoh" (big brother) position. Shanghai does not like the way Beijing pulling its nose because Shanghai is the Financial centre, and they have money. Beijing on the other hand is the political centre and tried to influence Shanghai using its political advantage.

While in the South, the people are not happy that the North has graded them like second class citizen. While Shanghai is the financial centre. The Southern end seems to be the Business and trading district.

I donno why, somehow the situation gives me the metaphoric feeling of Romance of Three Kingdom. I still remember the story of Hui Neng, When he saw Wu Zu, Wu Zu called him the "Southern Barbarian". Very interesting view of a Northerner.

Yeah... Lots of snob everywhere in this world. Anyway, the 'snob' Wu Zu, end of the day, he had given Hui Neng inka isn't it?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

while the west is like the wild wild west. Full of barbaric ugher ppl. There's still no san francisco or LA type of city in china right?

I read that the north east like heilongjiang are kind of poor.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah... Lots of snob everywhere in this world. Anyway, the 'snob' Wu Zu, end of the day, he had given Hui Neng inka isn't it?

Well, he did and his comment reflects the opinion of Northeners towards the South at that point of time. Seems to me that the issue has yet to resolve even now.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin:

this is so sad :(, all the years of promoting mandarin as the official language and yet the people still so disunited. :(

if they were all allowed to speak dialects, maybe they will get along better:biggrin:.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal

yalor yalor, some snob very hao lian and tua pao xian, here want to chap jig kar there want to chap jig kar, must kena jialat jialt from uncle. then they know how to just diam diam when uncle talk and listen only....:biggrin: