• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Speak Dialects, you feel tribal ! Speak mandarin, it will break unity!

Communist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Originally Posted by lnchwmn_only
i cant believe this ...uncle has been in this forum since 2003....now want to ban me for using my old nick....well-done.....

back to you confused little one-why is uncle in a position to tell you all these, because i am far more superior to you in terms of history. languages and most of all, my chinese cultural heritagepls note that mandarin is a spoken language....that is what we have been talking abt all this while. written chinese is not spoken mandarin...the chinese characters from Tao de Jing and Shijing have not changed for thousands of years. mastery of written chinese means you can read this no doubt. but unfotunately you are reading this is in a foreign language and not Laozhi's language, as scroobal pointed out, the nuances and finer points would all have been lost to you. lao zhi would have written his work with one thing in mind while you would have read with another.
a better example is shijing, try reading poems in mandain means the poems do not rhyme and has no rhythm. you cannot connect to the era when these ancient poems were written. you dun hv to learn old chinese or middle chinese but it is helpful if you can appreciate your own roots by retaining your knowledge of dialects. if you read the first poem in shijing in hokkien, at least two lines would still rhyme and overall there is still some semblance of a poem, that is what you have been missing. you are hopelessly lost thinking mandarin was your mother tongue

try reading this in mandarin...i kind of suspect you probably cnat read chinese either

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之
[/QUOTE

Uncle ki lan lah! mudskipper lu kon simi lanjiao? Superior ki lan Pondan kiah!

No lah Inchwmn3 of asiaone.com forum fame...for you to see....:p:p:p

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal
In China,,there are at least 6 others dialects and spoken language in their TV ..
Dialect: Hokkien, Cantonese,,Shanghainese
Regional langusges ; Tibetan,,mongolian,,UIgers..
Mandarin........

Hokkien is one of the oldest spoken language in china...one can find many Japanese words are in Hanji..and sounds like Hokkien..Koreans too.......

sohbuckkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, its very clear that very soon, dialects will be extinct. In China, I can also feel that dialects are also diminishing. The leaders in China are not stupid, they know exactly whats happening and they can easily reverse this trend if they wish. The fact that they did not do anything prompts me to think that they deliberately want all chinese people to speak in the same language which is mandarine. So that the country will be united as one.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, its very clear that very soon, dialects will be extinct. In China, I can also feel that dialects are also diminishing. The leaders in China are not stupid, they know exactly whats happening and they can easily reverse this trend if they wish. The fact that they did not do anything prompts me to think that they deliberately want all chinese people to speak in the same language which is mandarine. So that the country will be united as one.

the country will unite and disunite whether they speak mandarin or dialect.

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal

China does not rely on just one common spoken dialect[ mandarin] to unite..it is their sense of shared culture,,values and common destiny for tha last SEVERAL thousands years that binded them together,,,,,,,
if you go and travel around china..ALL people in different province speaks only their local dialet 99% of the tims..they only use mandarin to people of other province or foreigner..
HOKKIEN and Cantonese ,each had 50 to 100 million speakers EVERYDAY for 99.99% of their time...they also have TV channels using dialets ONLY.
you think they will go extinct????????these 2 dialects are at least 5 thousands year old.....THINK AGAIN..brother...dont use singapore values and experience to judge china........in history and culture,,we are really very small dot........