• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP team at Jalan Besar GRC ready for battle at next GE

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE : The ruling People's Action Party (PAP) team at Jalan Besar GRC has said it is unfazed by any opposition threat at the upcoming polls, as it has always been prepared for any challenge.

The ward has been contested in the last three general elections and more recently, the opposition National Solidarity Party has expressed interested in contesting the area.

Singapore's general election is due by February 2012.

It was a resounding vote of confidence from the Jalan Besar GRC team on their chances at the next general election as they hosted Law Minister K Shanmugam on a ministerial visit on Sunday.

The PAP, helmed by a five-member team led by Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, won 69.3 per cent of valid votes at the last general election in 2006, when it faced off a team from the Singapore Democratic Alliance.

More recently, the opposition National Solidarity Party has been seen walking the ground.

Demographically, Jalan Besar GRC is one of the oldest wards in Singapore. Half of its residents are above the age of 50. It is also made up of many low-income Singaporeans. Ten per cent of public assistance cases in Singapore come from this area and 50 per cent of its residents live in rental housing.

So issues concerning the elderly and low-income residents dominated Sunday's dialogue session.

Observers said such issues are something that the opposition may ride on.

But its incumbent MPs remain unfazed.

MP Lily Neo said: "I do not believe in people just coming in just before elections to say 'hello' and then to disappear for the next few years and then to not see them until the next election! That is not our policy.

"Our policy is not winning elections but it is to win people's hearts to win people's confidence, to show them that over the years, we can serve them well, and they know that they have a team who they can trust, the team that will continue to serve them".

Law Minister K Shanmugam gave the team his vote of confidence after touring the constituency.

He said: "The opposition must make their calculations, and what you have is a very strong MP, an MP who is extremely well liked and who is doing a lot, and I think the residents will ask themselves, 'Can anyone else do a better job?' I think they will be hard pressed to answer that question".

National Solidarity Party's Secretary-General Goh Meng Seng said his party has been consistently present in Jalan Besar since 2001.

He said: "As far as we are concerned, we are pretty consistent on the ground. (For example), we distributed rice and daily necessities last year."

However, he added that Dr Neo will prove to be a tough challenge, describing her as "the anchor" of the PAP team there.

Mr Goh said: "I think our chances will depend on several factors....(such as) whether Lily Neo will step down, because among the MPs, I think she is the anchor, she is popular, well liked and she has - through her own compassion - done quite a bit of good things there."

One of the latest initiatives launched for residents in Dr Neo's ward is called the Family Improvement Social Help.

It aims to improve the lives of residents through work programmes.

For example, the Chinatown Social Enterprise was set up to provide career opportunities for both elderly and needy residents in the area. - CNA/ms

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is GMS so deferential to bimbos who squander megabucks on their hairdo? Esp when they think he only comes out of the woodwork during GEs.

This is war. GMS is helping to broadcast PAP's strengths at his own expense. How pathetic! Does Lily have nice things to say about the Opp?

GMS, you need to be more Machiavellian. You are too meek. I worry.

Ambition must be made of sterner stuff.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Why is GMS so deferential to bimbos who squander megabucks on their hairdo? Esp when they think he only comes out of the woodwork during GEs.

This is war. Does Lily have nice things to say about the Opp?

GMS, you need to be more Machiavellian. You are too meek. I worry.

Ambition must be made of sterner stuff.

I am a bit disappointed by the reactions in internet. One of my elder friend was telling me that people may not understand the underlying meaning of my words and you have proven him right. Chinese educated people like my elder friend may be sharper but English educated people are just too straight forward.

Read the whole article again, especially my response. There is subtle underlying meaning and even sarcasm.

Goh Meng Seng

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
MP Lily Neo said: "I do not believe in people just coming in just before elections to say 'hello' and then to disappear for the next few years and then to not see them until the next election! That is not our policy.

"Our policy is not winning elections but it is to win people's hearts to win people's confidence, to show them that over the years, we can serve them well, and they know that they have a team who they can trust, the team that will continue to serve them". >>

Lily Neo's cluster got the most peasants that keep turn to her for help until so fed up that she threw her frustration in the parliament. But now, she says PAP has serve them well. I suppose she means that govt will not stop the elderly to sell tissue paper and clear the utensils in food centers for a living so as not to burden the PAP govt.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Let's rerun that again. Acc to the report, Mr Goh said: "I think our chances will depend on several factors....(such as) whether Lily Neo will step down, because among the MPs, I think she is the anchor, she is popular, well liked and she has - through her own compassion - done quite a bit of good things there."

I suppose yr statement is going to boost yr stand. How esle would anybody like me of the English-ed think will come across under the good hands of the prostitute media? My English must be damned poor.

I am a bit disappointed by the reactions in internet. One of my elder friend was telling me that people may not understand the underlying meaning of my words and you have proven him right. Chinese educated people like my elder friend may be sharper but English educated people are just too straight forward.

Read the whole article again, especially my response. There is subtle underlying meaning and even sarcasm.

Goh Meng Seng

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
2w3cqhs.jpg

my words got "underlying" meaning one
only chinese educated ppl can catch my meaning
u english educated r just stupid not to understand
cannot see my praise for lily neo is actually sarcasm
only chinese educated ppl can see...
u english educated if dont understand keep quiet and go fuck off!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS,

Don't say I want to say, bro. But with yr std of English, I think you better stick to Chinese when you want to say anything with underlying meaning. It will be 1000 x clearer.

Maybe you could explain this "underlying" meaning to bros here, and the better English-educated ones may try to help you to re-put it across, so that it has more punch wihtout sounding that yuo are praising PAP to the rafters.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Please, don't ever ask GMS to switch to Chinese. We need him to say things in English so that the humour is 1000 x better!!!!!!

GMS,

Don't say I want to say, bro. But with yr std of English, I think you better stick to Chinese when you want to say anything with underlying meaning. It will be 1000 x clearer.

Maybe you could explain this "underlying" meaning to bros here, and the better English-educated ones may try to help you to re-put it across, so that it has more punch wihtout sounding that yuo are praising PAP to the rafters.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
GMS,

Simply put, if Lily Neo, a backbench MP is the ANCHOR of Jalan Besar, then what does it actually mean? :wink:

This has nothing to do with language but simply perspective and depth.

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think she is the anchor, she is popular, well liked and she has - through her own compassion - done quite a bit of good things there."

It's meant as a to sideswipe at Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, supposedly the anchor but not as compassionate and hasn't done as much in the constituency. Ironically, he himself said there's no need to take of the ward. Lily Neo is famous for taking care of her ward and representing them in Parliament, that's why she's popular. GMS acknowledges as much, surprisingly or ironically, you all go figure yourselves, after his stand on MP duty.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
2w3cqhs.jpg

my words got "underlying" meaning one
only chinese educated ppl can catch my meaning
u english educated r just stupid not to understand
cannot see my praise for lily neo is actually sarcasm
only chinese educated ppl can see...
u english educated if dont understand keep quiet and go fuck off!

Spastic picture. I'm surprised his thumb isn't between his index and middle fingers.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It's meant as a to sideswipe at Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, supposedly the anchor but not as compassionate and hasn't done as much in the constituency. Ironically, he himself said there's no need to take of the ward. Lily Neo is famous for taking care of her ward and representing them in Parliament, that's why she's popular. GMS acknowledges as much, surprisingly or ironically, you all go figure yourselves, after his stand on MP duty.

Alamek! 画公仔画出肠! (Draw cartoon don't need to draw out all the intestines lah!)

Goh Meng Seng

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Put in Chinese, simply "打蛇随棍上"

Goh Meng Seng

You go spend more time on your campaign work. You wasting time here. Maximum of 150 REAL people here and most of them not in the GRC you want voting. You wasting your time and painting your name dirty.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankly, Lily Neo deserves to be praised by anyone, especially the old folks. I see no reason why GMS should be accused for praising her when she deserved it. One of her outstanding performances was when she "debated" aggresively with Vivian Balakrishnan and never show face to him and the speaker, in parliament, by telling them that she wanted to scream for the poor people in her ward. Her action gave a fair bit of coverage in the Shit Times and must have shamed, somewhat, the PAP ministers for acting nonchalant towards needy citizens.

It was because of Lily Neo that trigger the unflattering speech from Vivian Balan with regard to 3 meal in coffeshop, hawker center or restaurant. She left a memorable bad legacy for Vivian, and should be praised in this matter.

Even if she were to stand up in Jalan Basah again, whoever win in the GRC, is still a win for the poor folks . Unless, she is still around. As for the rest of PAP ministers in Jalan Basah, I never have any good impression about them.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember one episode. Dr. Lily Neo then was wearing her hair piled up styled, very obviously professional hairstylist styled. She was questioning something like why Medisave couldn't be used for breastscreening, as a preventive measure would be better much less costly than in an unfortunate eventuality which could have been prevented. Lim Hng Kiang replied that's not necessary. A breastscreening cost only about as much as a hairdo. Whencefrom, Lim Hng Kiang earned his nickname of Hairdo Lim. But Dr. Lily Neo let her hair down ever since. Actually for the better, she looks even younger.