• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Not happy over soft toys at McDonald

• Thread starter Ginchiyo Tachibana
  • Start date

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Pauline,

You like many of your fellow Chinese are outraged over the missing pig even though i find it amusing that you need to iterate having Muslim friends and how you go out of your way not to offend their sensibilities when dining. I am very sure "your Muslim friends" are touched or is it really subtle racism you are displaying through your indignation over the lack of the stuff toy pig?

Where you and many others have overlooked is that the Muslims/Malays have had nothing to do with this. It was purely a commercial decision undertaken by the McDonald's local management. The decision makers would have most likely been Chinese.. even though the ones flipping burgers are the minority races.

McDonald's much have weighed the decision over the stuffed toy pig versus a potential boycott by the Malay/Muslim population and decided to ditch the pig instead.

Unlike the Chinese, the Malays have conviction and unity. A united Malay boycott against McD would hurt the latter's bottom line. That is why despite making up 15% of the population, minority races are prevented by the HDB ethnic quota from congregating and becoming a political movement to reckon with. The PAP has no such concerns with the Chinese 75% majority as they are easily manipulated, petty and greedy as the McD incident clearly shows.

The local Chinese management at McD decided to castrate themselves to save a few dollars. This is what this fiasco is all about.

ST Forum
Home > ST Forum > Story
Jan 7, 2010

McDonald's takes the charm out of Doraemon series

MCDONALD'S started a Doraemon lucky charm series recently with each lucky charm sold at $2 if one orders a set meal. My two-year-old daughter is a Doraemon fan and can sing the song whenever she sees the cartoon cat. Thinking of getting four Doraemon lucky charms representing the Chinese zodiac signs of my family - Tiger, Rabbit, Pig and Ox - I visited the McDonald's outlet in Tampines Mall on Monday. The idea was to display them during Chinese New Year. After I bought the Tiger and Rabbit lucky charms, I scanned the series and realised one animal was missing from the 12 signs - the Pig. Instead, McDonald's had a Cupid Doraemon. I could understand why Cupid was there as the first day of Chinese New Year happens to be Valentine's Day. But why should the Pig be missing from the series since all other 11 animals (even the mythical dragon) are included? Puzzled, I asked the counter staff. The answer surprised me even more: As a halal restaurant, McDonald's could not display or sell Pig soft toys.

I understand that we need to respect our Muslim citizens as Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural society. Halal food establishments must meet the criteria set by the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis) to be certified as such. I also understand why some restaurants do not allow dogs on their premises as it may offend Muslim diners. I have Muslim friends and when I invite them for a meal, I make sure I have a halal food option. If I dine with them, I avoid ordering pork dishes too. However, in this case, the Pig is one of the Chinese zodiac signs - part of Chinese culture and customs - and it is just a soft toy, not food. Will the sight of a Doraemon collectible Pig soft toy offend anyone? Was the decision based on a recommendation from Muis? I have given up collecting the lucky charms because my girl was born in the Year of the Pig and she has no 'luck' in getting her Doraemon charm.

Pauline Koh (Ms)

Last edited:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
we need to send a clear message to McDonalds that this is Singapore, not Riyadh or even Kelantan!

Easy. Just boycott mac'd. They pulled the pig as they feared a backlash from the Malays and reasonably so. Do you see the 75% Chinese in Singapore coming together to boycott? I just don't see this happening.

The PAP has been in power for over half a century because of the Chinese.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Riddiculous lah sg multi racial but must respect muslims even to the extent of a toy and mind u they are minorities in this country.

No wonder they are getting more and more demanding.

Quality not quantity. What is the point of having 75% worthless and balless stock? The Malays did not demand the pig be pulled.. the local Chinese management at McD did that all by themselves. Why?

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am saying that McD wrongly interprets the halal certification, and taking political correctness to the extreme to cater to the extremists.

McD makes the vast majority of our moderate Muslims look bad.

So who are the extremists that coerced McD to drop the pig? It looks like McD did so all by itself.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
got Hello Kitty soft toy...everybody complains!

I remember that. Punching, shoving and thrown through windows. The stoopid Singapore Ah Bengs. They used to queue up overnight for the hello kitty toy only to throw the burgers away the next morning when they were served at the counter. The stupidity and pettiness of the local Chink population knows no bounds.

Uncle2

Alfrescian
Loyal
McDonalds did the right thing lah... Better safe than sorry.

If our Muslim friends are not happy, they will burn down the churches, bomb airplanes, strap themselves with bombs and charge into S-League matches. But when the Chinese are unhappy.... they just grumble....

Lentor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Pauline,

Unlike the Chinese, the Malays have conviction and unity. A united Malay boycott against McD would hurt the latter's bottom line. That is why despite making up 15% of the population, minority races are prevented by the HDB ethnic quota from congregating and becoming a political movement to reckon with. The PAP has no such concerns with the Chinese 75% majority as they are easily manipulated, petty and greedy as the McD incident clearly shows.

The local Chinese management at McD decided to castrate themselves to save a few dollars. This is what this fiasco is all about.

which are the ones who are easily manipulated?
isn't it the malays??the whole fools of them can just get forced convert from hindus/buddhists and become followers of terrors.

it's time we free this bunch of lost sheeps.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Pauline,

You like many of your fellow Chinese are outraged over the missing pig even though i find it amusing that you need to iterate having Muslim friends and how you go out of your way not to offend their sensibilities when dining. I am very sure "your Muslim friends" are touched or is it really subtle racism you are displaying through your indignation over the lack of the stuff toy pig?

Where you and many others have overlooked is that the Muslims/Malays have had nothing to do with this. It was purely a commercial decision undertaken by the McDonald's local management. The decision makers would have most likely been Chinese.. even though the ones flipping burgers are the minority races.

McDonald's much have weighed the decision over the stuffed toy pig versus a potential boycott by the Malay/Muslim population and decided to ditch the pig instead.

hey u filthy shit skin what makes you think it was a chinese that decided to do it?

Do u know the higher management of MCD? Most likely you pulled it from your azz u stinking shit skin.

As for the 15% unity etc that's for malays u skin. Last i checked you aren't a malay and a shit skin and shit skins aren't united. You don't even refer to yourselves as indians. Only outsiders call you shit skins indians since they don't know what type of shit skin you animals are.

When it comes to bashing chinese yeah you skins will twist and turn and say you are malays too, a very common example would be that singapore belongs to the malays and not chinese forgetting that you shit skins are also not malays and thus it does not belong to you but of course you convienently forget it. You think we don't know you scold and make fun of malays amongst yourselves which is what kelings are very good at. Backstabbing others.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quality not quantity. What is the point of having 75% worthless and balless stock? The Malays did not demand the pig be pulled.. the local Chinese management at McD did that all by themselves. Why?

what makes you think that? Again using that orifcie on your face below your beak nose to fart again.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
which are the ones who are easily manipulated?
isn't it the malays??the whole fools of them can just get forced convert from hindus/buddhists and become followers of terrors.

it's time we free this bunch of lost sheeps.

That fool will always find every oppotunity to bash chinese.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
The answer surprised me even more: As a halal restaurant, McDonald's could not display or sell Pig soft toys.

I understand that we need to respect our Muslim citizens as Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural society. Halal food establishments must meet the criteria set by the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis) to be certified as such. I also understand why some restaurants do not allow dogs on their premises as it may offend Muslim diners. I have Muslim friends and when I invite them for a meal, I make sure I have a halal food option. If I dine with them, I avoid ordering pork dishes too.

You do have a point.

In our multi-racial society, we need to make some degree of compromises.

However these compromises are a one-way street - in favour of the Muslims.

A requirement of obtaining a halal certificate is that no toys of pigs can be displayed.

That is the issue, is it not?

This borders on the ridiculous. Will a toy pig make the food unhalal?

It does not consider the rights of the non-Muslims: to affirm our own non-Muslim cultural identity.

We are also proud of our non-Muslim cultural identity.

Compromises in a multi-racial society must not be a one-way street.

For this case, McDonald is not to be blame as it is merely following the demands of the halal certification.

The issuer of the halal certificate is the one who must be multi-racially conscious.

Last edited:

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
b2-1.jpg

Cu-pig

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To add further, McDonald's is NOT a Muslim restaurant.

McDonald cater to all the races.

This is the problem. To cater to all races, must be halal certified. Halal certified means halal meats and no pork. No pork is catering all races? Indians don't seem to have problem eating in restaurants serving beef. They simply order something else and allow others to eat beef.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the problem. To cater to all races, must be halal certified. Halal certified means halal meats and no pork. No pork is catering all races? Indians don't seem to have problem eating in restaurants serving beef. They simply order something else and allow others to eat beef.

Indians might be more tolerant than Muslims then.

I can understand that they are concerned that the utensils might have touched pork and thus be a source of contamination for the Muslims.

But how can a toy contaminate them?