• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Not happy over soft toys at McDonald

• Thread starter Ginchiyo Tachibana
  • Start date

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Riddiculous lah sg multi racial but must respect muslims even to the extent of a toy and mind u they are minorities in this country.

No wonder they are getting more and more demanding.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why when you visit Macs in Thailand, HK, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, you need to eat pork burgers. Even the Malaysian Chinese go crazy over it cos they say Mudland no such thing like Spore.

That's right. To taste real pork sausage muffins, try Thailand or USA etc., not in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

We have become too halalfied such that we cannot have pork dishes for fast food meals anymore. Only Yoshinoya, Jap fast food chain still serve pork.

No Japanese eatery establishment anywhere in the world applies for the halal certificate. The preparation and serving of sashimi and sushi is already by definition and in practice haram. Same goes for respectable (or self-respecting) steak restaurants; medium and rare steaks are haram.

ruffles

Alfrescian
Loyal
By taking an extreme interpretation of the halal certification, they are caving in to the religious extremists.

We are a multi-cultural, multi-religious secular country. Boycott McDonalds if they do not get it right!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By taking an extreme interpretation of the halal certification, they are caving in to the religious extremists.

We are a multi-cultural, multi-religious secular country. Boycott McDonalds if they do not get it right!

I understand that all fast food chains in Singapore are under halal certification. Boycott them all?

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
I miss the bacon double cheeseburger where real bacon is used instead of turkey bacon...the hawaiian pizza where we have real ham...and the pork burgers that's supposed to be on the menu...sigh...

ruffles

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand that all fast food chains in Singapore are under halal certification. Boycott them all?

I am saying that McD wrongly interprets the halal certification, and taking political correctness to the extreme to cater to the extremists.

McD makes the vast majority of our moderate Muslims look bad.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am saying that McD wrongly interprets the halal certification, and taking political correctness to the extreme to cater to the extremists.

McD makes the vast majority of our moderate Muslims look bad.

OK, got your point.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal

True, only extremists push the halal requirements to the limits. In location where halal food is not accessible; I wonder how would they fill their stomachs. Religious conditioning over time can psychologically affect the person mindset when consuming non halal food.

I know of a Malay in Kedah who consume pork overseas when halal food is not available. He took it in his stride without remorse; only joke is when anyone ask him if he has consume pork; he always gave a flat no.

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand that some Muslims take halal to be applicable to food (particularly meat and preparation thereof), but some take halal to be all encompassing, and I think quite rightly so in context of Islam teachings on superstitions and images. I respect that but I think that shouldn't impair or impose on others who are non-Muslims. Perhaps there should be a Muslim version of the set without the pig and a Hindu version without the ox?

That is being overly PC. If they are so offended by the sight of a toy pig, they can choose not to have the toy or Macs can offer them a different one from the set. In fact, the whole idea of using the Chinese Zodiac animals is probably offensive to a deeply religious Muslim as Islam does not have these in their calendar. If Macs had used their brains more, they will realise how ridiculous their approach is. They are risking raising the ire of the majority in order to appear accommodating to the minority.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is being overly PC. If they are so offended by the sight of a toy pig, they can choose not to have the toy or Macs can offer them a different one from the set. In fact, the whole idea of using the Chinese Zodiac animals is probably offensive to a deeply religious Muslim as Islam does not have these in their calendar. If Macs had used their brains more, they will realise how ridiculous their approach is. They are risking raising the ire of the majority in order to appear accommodating to the minority.

Don't u know this has always been the case in this country.

If u write hey chinese are dirty or cheats etc nobody will really mind and even if they do nope no action taken against you.

Now contrast that with malays. After that blogging incident and the posting on the pet forum i noticed how this seditious BS thing being said everywhere except when it was racism against chinese. I also noticed malays getting more and more embolden.

There are also some chinese here who love to act like the dogs of malays or indians or other races. i am sure u might see them fawning over the other race like they are their servants.

I'm not sure if that screwball mod is a malay but most likely he's a chinese. He's an example of a dog. He'll always give good stereotypes of malays as if there are no bad malays and give bad stereotypes of chinese. Anyone that exposes bad things about malays = racist. We are supposed to sweep all their bad stuff under the carpet and pretend it does not exist.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As a Chinese, I feel offended that McDonalds substituted a cupid for pig as one of the 12 zodiac signs.

That's an insults to the Chinese culture.

They should apologize to all Chinese in the world!!

:mad:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they must be suffering really bad when they are in Ang Mo countries....and have to specifically look for halal supermarkets....instead of the nearest ones...

In the US, Muslims don't look for halal cert restaurants. They eat everywhere, just avoiding pork and other non-halal meat. For example, if the menu has pork burger and beef burger, they just choose beef burtger. However, the problem in Singapore is, for a restaurant to be supposedly admissible to a Muslim, it must have a MUIS cert and serves no pork or other non-halal meats, even if it has separate utensils for cooking halal food. And get this, it must employ a certain number of Muslims in order to qualify. However, what I see is that most Chinese and other non-Muslims don't give a damn to complain. They just work on ahead on market supply-and-demand principles with their jobs and businesses. The biggest middle fingers up in the face of MUIS cert system is from a group of Malay Muslims themselves, who frequent non-halal restaurants and pubs (by definition and practice could never be certified halal).

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
y bother 2 collect? ...

even if u hv a full set, u get a rojak ... iz not even a chinese zodiac collection ...

oni mac donald can cum out wif tis stoopig idea ... n idiots bother 2 collect a full set! ...

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another thing malays like to call chinese pigs all cos some chinese eat pigs. Some chinese don't eat pork for health reasons or personal etc.

Anyway if u call someone a pig cos he eats pig does this mean he's a chicken if he eats one?

They never ever think their insults don't make any sense.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the US, Muslims don't look for halal cert restaurants. They eat everywhere, just avoiding pork and other non-halal meat. For example, if the menu has pork burger and beef burger, they just choose beef burtger. However, the problem in Singapore is, for a restaurant to be supposedly admissible to a Muslim, it must have a MUIS cert and serves no pork or other non-halal meats, even if it has separate utensils for cooking halal food. And get this, it must employ a certain number of Muslims in order to qualify. However, what I see is that most Chinese and other non-Muslims don't give a damn to complain. They just work on ahead on market supply-and-demand principles with their jobs and businesses. The biggest middle fingers up in the face of MUIS cert system is from a group of Malay Muslims themselves, who frequent non-halal restaurants and pubs (by definition and practice could never be certified halal).

No wonder, I always wondered why it always seems that the fast food industry seems to have a high ratio of Malays fronting their cashier...

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
Halal also apply to soft toys? :biggrin:

So, what's next? Public Transport must be Halal certified? Becoz other pessengers who have eaten pork touch the handrail, the seats .., so taxi, bus, mrt all must Halal certified. Whoever carry pork cannot board the public transport.

ruffles

Alfrescian
Loyal
we need to send a clear message to McDonalds that this is Singapore, not Riyadh or even Kelantan!

Y

Yoshitsune Minamoto

McDonald's pulls pig toy

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 9, 2010

McDonald's pulls pig toy
Its move in omitting pig character from zodiac animal set irks Chinese

<!-- by line --> By Leow Si Wan & Chuang Bing Han
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
b2-1.jpg

Instead of a pig, a Cupid (third from right) completes the line-up of 12 soft toys in the McDonald's Doraemon collection for Chinese New Year. -- ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

<!-- story content : start --> FAST-FOOD giant McDonald's has stirred up a controversy by omitting pig characters from its latest toy promotions. The pig soft toy was expected to have been part of a 12-character Doraemon set depicting the animals of the Chinese zodiac calendar. Customers wanting the toy would have to pay $2 on top of making a food purchase. But McDonald's decided not to include the pig toy to avoid offending Muslim customers, and had a Doraemon Cupid toy in its place instead. The move has upset Chinese customers keen on collecting all 12 toys in the series. One of them, staff nurse Daphne Koh, 26, said: 'I was born in the Year of the Pig and would have collected the whole set. But without the pig, it makes no sense for me to do so.' Retiree May Liaw, 55, who had wanted to buy a set to decorate her home for Chinese New Year, said: 'It is strange to have Cupid in place of the pig. The set is incomplete and I am not interested in individual pieces.' Various online forums are also abuzz with discussions on whether the fast-food chain has overreacted.

Read the full story in Saturday's edition of The Straits Times.
[email protected]
[email protected]

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
by omitting pig characters from 12-character Doraemon set to pleased Muslim customers,

How dare McDonald's to offend MM Lee, has they forgotten that our Number One was born in the year of Pig? McDonald try to exclude MM? So disrespecful :biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So, what's next? Public Transport must be Halal certified? Becoz other pessengers who have eaten pork touch the handrail, the seats .., so taxi, bus, mrt all must Halal certified. Whoever carry pork cannot board the public transport.

I scratch my balls, after I have used the toileits?, majority of SINkingporeanS don't wash their hands after they had gone to the loos...

All mustn't touch anything...:biggrin: